Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Supercars (https://teamspeed.com/forums/supercars/)
-   -   Zonda in US? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/supercars/49001-zonda-us.html)

Peloton25 10-18-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brobbins016 (Post 737620)
Sorry streetrod, you are incorrect. Look in to the show and display law as know as the "Ralph Lauren law". You are able to have a vehicle not DOT or EPA approved in the US legally as long as you do not drive more than 5,000 miles anually on open roadways. This is how all the 959's are in the LA area. There are TWO! Porsche GT1's in the Chicagoland area. It stipulates the vehicle was not ever specified as a US market car, which the Pagani was not. Good luck with the purchase!

Actually streetrod is entirely correct. 'Show or Display' exemption only applies to DOT specs (crash standards/restraint systems/glass/lighting/etc).

It does not absolve you from having to conform to the EPA standards which were current for the vehicle's year of manufacture, including the requirement to meet OBD-II standards for vehicles produced in 1996 or later. That is the achilles heel of the 'Show or Display' legislation which frankly needs to be fixed, but it won't be. I don't believe anyone has even attempted to import a Zonda that way, as if they had it would appear on either the approved or rejected list that you see here.

Feel free to read the AutoWeek article transcribed at this link for more information:

Autoweek Show and Go

Also the suggestion of importing it as a race car will generally not fly if it's not a Zonda R. If the car was manufactured as a road car it is highly likely the application to import it as a race car will be rejected. The DOT is smart enough to know the difference. I tend to think you weren't talking about the R since you mentioned putting a plate on it.

I know the Malibu owner - but not personally. I spoke with him early this year when he brought the car out to Supercar Sunday. He has two Zondas, an original C12S in Yellow (#76014) and also the Zonda Monza racer which I believe is now for sale.

I was specifically interested in how he'd managed to import the C12S and keep it here for so long. I'll quote what I wrote that day:

Got my answer on the car's import status today, direct from the owner himself. While it has not been Federalized in any way, it is here through completely legal means.

His primary business is in the electronics field and he has a separate company working on electric vehicle technologies. With that company he was able to establish it as a vehicle manufacturer getting all the proper credentials and such and using that status he's able to import any vehicle for testing purposes just the way all the major manufacturers do it. He wouldn't be able to sell the car, and I am sure there are some limitations, but it seems to have worked just fine for him for many years.
Note the plate on the rear of the car is a MFG not a DLR like you would typically see on questionable vehicles:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...6b334d92_o.jpg

So that's probably not an option that will work for most people unfortunately. If you'd still like to speak with him I may be able to find some contact info for him.

>8^)
ER

Redlinerobert 10-18-2010 04:10 PM

Arling, you are alive. :)

Good to see you posting.

U-Boat Commander 10-18-2010 04:13 PM

Peloton: The Show and Display approved list you cited is from April 2009. It's possible that someone has tried to import a Zonda since then. In any event, a Zonda is a shoe in for a S&D license. As you point out, the question is whether you have to modify the car to meet the EPA regs.

Peloton25 10-18-2010 05:04 PM

I know the list is older but it is the latest one they offer online. Your correct that in a year and a half someone could have tried that approach but there were a handful of Zondas here prior to that date and so if one of them had been brought in that way, or at least been attempted it would show up there.

There's really not a question of whether you'd have to modify the car for EPA regs - you definitely would to be allowed entry under 'Show or Display'. The question then becomes, could you modify the car to satify the standards? The new Zonda HH being finished now will be owned by an American and he had also hoped to find a legal means of importing it. He discussed the possibility of retrofitting the car to meet our emissions standards and Pagani had initially suggested that it would be possible for them to do this. Later when I asked him if they'd made any progress in that regard this was his response:

The hope for getting this car to the US seems to have been squashed for the moment. It's not possible to get the ODBII sensor on the engine and you can't certify emissions without it. So it'll stay euro-bound for now.
It might just take one person spending enough money with an RI/ICI like the previously mentioned Wallace Labs for them to develop a solution for the Zonda. That's what happened with the McLaren F1. Long ago the only ones eligible for import were the 1993-1995 F1s. Now the entire production run is eligible up to 1998 which would of course include cars that need to meet OBDII standards.

>8^)
ER

Axxlrod 10-18-2010 07:26 PM

What about the carbon fiber Zonda R that has been a SEMA last few years. I don't recall if it had plates or not, but seems like it lives here in the US.

Mr Kram 10-18-2010 07:49 PM

congrats arling!! can i get a drive/ride?

RE5PEKT 10-18-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 738074)
What about the carbon fiber Zonda R that has been a SEMA last few years. I don't recall if it had plates or not, but seems like it lives here in the US.

Jason, the one at SEMA in the Pirelli Booth was imported for just that show from what i understood. It was shipped back last i heard. But i could be wrong

20C4S 10-18-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Peloton25 (Post 737891)
Actually streetrod is entirely correct. 'Show or Display' exemption only applies to DOT specs (crash standards/restraint systems/glass/lighting/etc).

It does not absolve you from having to conform to the EPA standards which were current for the vehicle's year of manufacture, including the requirement to meet OBD-II standards for vehicles produced in 1996 or later. That is the achilles heel of the 'Show or Display' legislation which frankly needs to be fixed, but it won't be. I don't believe anyone has even attempted to import a Zonda that way, as if they had it would appear on either the approved or rejected list that you see here.

Feel free to read the AutoWeek article transcribed at this link for more information:

Autoweek Show and Go

Also the suggestion of importing it as a race car will generally not fly if it's not a Zonda R. If the car was manufactured as a road car it is highly likely the application to import it as a race car will be rejected. The DOT is smart enough to know the difference. I tend to think you weren't talking about the R since you mentioned putting a plate on it.

I know the Malibu owner - but not personally. I spoke with him early this year when he brought the car out to Supercar Sunday. He has two Zondas, an original C12S in Yellow (#76014) and also the Zonda Monza racer which I believe is now for sale.

I was specifically interested in how he'd managed to import the C12S and keep it here for so long. I'll quote what I wrote that day:

Note the plate on the rear of the car is a MFG not a DLR like you would typically see on questionable vehicles:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...6b334d92_o.jpg

So that's probably not an option that will work for most people unfortunately. If you'd still like to speak with him I may be able to find some contact info for him.

>8^)
ER

Eric,
thanks for the response. u're actually one of the guy i would like to hear from. the info is very helpful. i'm not sure if my info is correct but i was told there are 2 in NY that's legally registered. details remain unclear. i'd like to take it to PM if u have any additional info.

pearlcoupeg35 10-18-2010 09:05 PM

Not sure what this means - but while in Germany last year i saw a Zonda there with New Jersey plates and registration on the windshield. Looked like is was used in the USA for sure - but was being kept in Stuttgart for the owner for some reason. Hmmmmmmmm

swifty 10-18-2010 10:18 PM

Wyclef Jean owns one in the U.S.

Wyclef Jean Pagani Zonda photos - MadWhips, modified & exotic car spotting