Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Smoke & Vine (https://teamspeed.com/forums/smoke-vine/)
-   -   Beer Snobs Unite (Beer 101) (https://teamspeed.com/forums/smoke-vine/54252-beer-snobs-unite-beer-101-a.html)

C Money 02-03-2011 09:05 PM

Beer Snobs Unite (Beer 101)

Personally I have just recently started to enjoy a nice beer (MGD,Bud Lite,etc don't count)... It all started with a Warsteiner Dunkle about 3 years ago and now has grown into trying anything I can get my hands on to (prefer stuff from the states). All that being said, I am still a MAJOR noob and would love some insight...

Currently enjoying
Stone Brewery Levitation
and
Oaked Arrogant Bastard

Let the Beer 101 begin!

edit: Dammit, can a mod please edit it to say SNOBS, not SNOOBS

GuessWho 02-03-2011 09:15 PM

What are you looking for?

I personally enjoy IPA's.

My fav. is Russian River Pliny the Elder
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/...d9b6572b4f.jpg

I also enjoy Dogfish head 90 min. IPA, still trying to get the 120 min.

C Money 02-03-2011 09:17 PM

Dogfish is good... Love the label on the doggy style (the story on the back)

I am open to trying whatever, hard part is finding them (anyone have good online source)...

Would love to start a beer of the month club on TS, maybe we send 6 packs out to those involved so we can try things we might not be able to find

ptrans 02-03-2011 09:31 PM

This is one of my favorite beers. Its called Hoptical Illusion and, its from Bluepoint Brewing Company. I live close to this brewery , imo they have some of the best "craft beers" available. Dogfish is awesome too, but if you get a chance try this brew. The hops will creep up on ya!:friendlykick:
http://www.bluepointbrewing.com/bpbc...l-illusion.pngHoptical Illusion « Blue Point Brewing Company

Fuel&Fire 02-03-2011 09:33 PM

Gulden Draak

C Money 02-03-2011 09:33 PM

Ptrans,

Would love to swap some six packs sometimes... We don't have many "amazing" breweries down here, but a few that have some killer seasonal beers

ptrans 02-03-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by C Money (Post 845631)
Ptrans,

Would love to swap some six packs sometimes... We don't have many "amazing" breweries down here, but a few that have some killer seasonal beers

Anytime! Just PM me when your ready. :yup:

Alzilla 02-03-2011 10:17 PM

I like a good Konings Hoeven Quadruple Ale from time to time.

GLN 02-03-2011 10:20 PM

Ptrans mentioned a good one. Blue Pointe makes some great beers. My personal favorite that they offer is the Toasted Lager.

My favorite beer is Delirium Tremens. Delirium Noctorum is a great one as well.

I mentioned the other day that I had "Wells Banana Bread", which was delicious as well.

I too try to taste as many beers as possible. Always like trying new ones.

Other great ones are Chimay, Duvel, Purple Haze, Leffe, and Golden Monkey.

Cone Sweeper 02-03-2011 10:26 PM

Hell of a first post... but.. it caught my eyes! lol. After just doing my first brew with a friend of mine..i've found some of the best beers are the ones you'd never guess to try...

Dogfish Head has a bunch of amazing beers - from the 60,90,120minute ipa's, to their Midas Touch and Indian Brown Ale.

Flying Dog and Purple Haze are some other Micro brew's that are coming out with some good beers as they grow too. But as GetLiquid mentioned, Chimay is an awesome beer, Harp + Guinness or Cider + Guinness,London Pride..I'd have to get out my list of beers i've tried and I could update with some more lol.

If you have a Total Wine around - i'm sure their far and in between but we have a couple here in SFLA and they have an entire row dedicated to single beers where you can make your own 6 pack etc... over 500+ beers.

Jeff_NJ 02-03-2011 10:32 PM

I guess I'm not snooby enough to drink all those beers. People ask me what kind of beer I like and my answer is always "the kind with alcohol in it".
I do enjoy trying new and different beers, though.

C Money 02-03-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cone Sweeper (Post 845694)
Hell of a first post... but.. it caught my eyes! lol. After just doing my first brew with a friend of mine..i've found some of the best beers are the ones you'd never guess to try...
Dogfish Head has a bunch of amazing beers - from the 60,90,120minute ipa's, to their Midas Touch and Indian Brown Ale.
Flying Dog and Purple Haze are some other Micro brew's that are coming out with some good beers as they grow too. But as GetLiquid mentioned, Chimay is an awesome beer, a lot of the darker German pilser's are great too.
If you have a Total Wine around - i'm sure their far and in between but we have a couple here in SFLA and they have an entire row dedicated to single beers where you can make your own 6 pack etc... over 500+ beers.

Thanks for the insight bud... We have a place with about 250 single beers, i usually just walk around and grab a few 12 packs and fill em up... Dogfish is one I can't seem to find!

C Money 02-03-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ (Post 845700)
I guess I'm not snooby enough to drink all those beers. People ask me what kind of beer I like and my answer is always "the kind with alcohol in it".
I do enjoy trying new and different beers, though.

Have you NOT seen the miller Lite commercials(lol)? You are that guy!

Cone Sweeper 02-03-2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by C Money (Post 845701)
Thanks for the insight bud... We have a place with about 250 single beers, i usually just walk around and grab a few 12 packs and fill em up... Dogfish is one I can't seem to find!

Not sure where you live, but on their website - Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales | Off-centered stuff for off-centered people - on the bottom of their page it's a section called " Fish Finder " and you put in your zipcode and they'll tell within " x " ammount of miles where you can purchase at either a restraunt or store.

C Money 02-03-2011 10:39 PM

yup nothing even with 100 miles! Damn Louisiana!

hence my interest in starting up a "club" on here for those of us un able to purchase certain crafts, ptrans and I already swapping 12packs.

Cone Sweeper 02-03-2011 10:43 PM

I'll take a look at my list and see what I have.. I have more the traditional beers on my list of what i've drank opposed to the more new micro brews starting up. So maybe I can help ya out with some new beers for ya!!

GLN 02-03-2011 11:06 PM

My local liquor store that is pretty much ~3 blocks away is the largest liquor store in NJ. Has over 1,500 different brews :). You can buy them all by the single bottle and up.

KT 02-03-2011 11:10 PM

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is one I like lately. Always, anytime, anything from Unibroue brewery in Canada. Total Wine and Whole Foods carry a few.

C Money 02-03-2011 11:16 PM

GLN,
Sounds like you need my shipping address and fedEx #:smilie:

theprotest 02-03-2011 11:19 PM

Hi,

DFH/Stone's/Mikeller. DFH 120/90M IPA's, Stones for the Ruination - Levitation let me down after trying Ruination first. The Arrogant Bastard doesn't do a lot for me, not really balanced for mine.

Flying Dog/ Russian River/ Knee Deep Beer Co/ 3 Floyd's are all going hard in the paint right now.

Trying to get my hands on a Hoptimum - whole cone brewed IPA. I'm guessing your username is beer related Mr Sweeper?

Still working on sending beer I've bottle to the US - have Europe licence for private orders. Would be cool to get you guys to try my brews!

Cheers,
Nik

C Money 02-03-2011 11:22 PM

Nik,

I was waiting for you to chime in! Can't wait till you can send your brew this way! Ruination is next on my list to try!

Fuel&Fire 02-03-2011 11:27 PM

New Belgium Mothership is my favorite at the moment

theprotest 02-03-2011 11:39 PM

Hi,

Hope all is well mate - great game at the Staples Centre the other night... :D

I know we seem to be focussing on US beers here, probably for good reason, but BrewDog in Scotland is probably the most progressive larger brewer in the world right now. My mate actually brews there, and some of the more recent brews (Abstrakt:03 & :04 come to mind) have been batshit crazy good.

They even stepping stone you into them, you can have a crack at a 5am Saint, or a 77Lager, and see the difference between normal shelf beer and something with some flair. Then you keep hunting through until you're drinking Whisky Stouts called things like Paradox. The BrewDog/Mikeller/Stones combinations are insanity as well. More than worth looking out for.

Cheers,
Nik

h20skier 02-03-2011 11:41 PM

Pacifico
:)

Ok I am a simpleton sorry guys

Cone Sweeper 02-04-2011 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by theprotest (Post 845758)
Trying to get my hands on a Hoptimum - whole cone brewed IPA. I'm guessing your username is beer related Mr Sweeper?

Nik

It's actually road racing related.

But I did find some more beer's that you'd probably be able to find out by you..Bass Ale, Belhaven, Boddingtons, Fullerrs ESB, Carlsberh, Fullers London Pride, Harp Lager, Hoegaarden, Old Speckled Hen, Monty Python, New Castle, Smithwicks, Tennets, Tetley's, Twisted Thistle, All Sam Adams, Scheiderweisse...those are more mainstream beers then the micro brews..

C Money 02-04-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by h20skier (Post 845771)
Pacifico
:)

Ok I am a simpleton sorry guys

Love me some Gringo beer! Big fan of Modelo!

sean 02-04-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by C Money (Post 845701)

Martin Wine Cellar?

I am still enjoying this seasonal:

http://blog.nola.com/beernola/2009/0...berry_2009.jpg

C Money 02-04-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sean (Post 846094)
Martin Wine Cellar?

I am still enjoying this seasonal:

http://blog.nola.com/beernola/2009/0...berry_2009.jpg

Nah, Martin's is a joke(over priced and under informed)... Place on the Northshore, best wine/liquor/beer selection in the south...

Get your hands on some NOLA brew company, they are a small craft brewer who is quickly making a name for themselves.

sean 02-04-2011 09:56 AM

You gonna give the name or keep it a secret? ;)

I used to live a block from Martin's so that was my default spot.

C Money 02-04-2011 10:11 AM

my bad bud, Aquistipaces.... It's in Old Covington.... You coming back anytime soon, should grab a Beer and a poboy!

sean 02-04-2011 10:56 AM

Carnival, every year ;) Got some floats to ride on and some beads ta trow!

Dutchnick 02-04-2011 11:03 AM

Pfft. Stop talking about water with beer flavor. This is where the real beer is at. The beer wall in Belgium.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2...10204at170.png

"The JC" 02-04-2011 11:06 AM

It seems that I have chased down the last keg of 512 Pecan Porter in Houston.

theprotest 02-04-2011 07:05 PM

Hi,

Anyone tried Grand Treton's Trout Hop? I've heard good things.

Cheers,
Nik

Jeff_NJ 02-04-2011 08:03 PM

Nik,
When do you think you will be able to ship to the US?

theprotest 02-04-2011 08:42 PM

Hi Jeff,

It would only ever be private orders, my brewery is tiny and everything will be hand bottled. You're looking at a production run of around 100 units.

Might be able to put a TS label on them for a bit of a laugh for the members here.

Don't want to derail C Money's thread though, I will let you know when I've got some stock.

Cheers,
Nik

"The JC" 02-04-2011 08:46 PM

^i'll definitely buy some if you can ship it

Jeff_NJ 02-04-2011 09:22 PM

Nik,
A custom Aussie Beer with a TS label is TOTALLY integral to Cmoney's thread!

Does it come with the glass in your Avatar?:whistle:

Keep us posted!

C Money 02-05-2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by theprotest (Post 846979)
Hi Jeff,

It would only ever be private orders, my brewery is tiny and everything will be hand bottled. You're looking at a production run of around 100 units.

Might be able to put a TS label on them for a bit of a laugh for the members here.

Don't want to derail C Money's thread though, I will let you know when I've got some stock.

Cheers,
Nik

dude no derailing going on here! this is a beer lovers thread, speak freely! I would love to get my hands on some of your beer.... had a few new stone brewery tonight, really enjoying there lineup... also picked up an imperial collection Sam Adams, curious to see how it turns out.

C Money 02-05-2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ (Post 847036)
Nik,
A custom Aussie Beer with a TS label is TOTALLY integral to Cmoney's thread!

Does it come with the glass in your Avatar?:whistle:

Keep us posted!

amen brotha! damn drinking this 7.7+ percent really catches up to ya quickly!