Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Beast Unleashed - 1987 Ruf CTR “YellowBird”

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Post The Beast Unleashed - 1987 Ruf CTR “YellowBird”

Name:  copy 071.jpg
Views: 7706
Size:  150.3 KB

The Beast Unleashed!!!

For those who don’t know the 1987 Ruf CTR “YellowBird”

The Ruf CTR also known as the CTR Yellowbird or simply Yellowbird, was a limited-production, high performance sports car produced by Ruf Automobile of Germany.

Introduced for the 1987 model year and based on the Porsche 911, the CTR featured an enlarged and highly tuned version of Porsche's 3.2 litre flat-six cylinder engine, a lightened body, uprated suspension and braking systems, a custom-designed transmission, and several unique trim pieces such as fiberglass bumpers and intake ducts on the rear fenders.

Developing 469 hp (350 kW) and 408 lb•ft (553 N•m) of torque and weighing in it at only 2,580 pounds (1,170 kg), the CTR provided stellar performance, with a 0-60 mph time of around 4.0 seconds and a top speed in excess of 200 miles per hour (320 km/h). Although a small group of vehicles such as the Ferrari F40 and Porsche 959 were faster to 60 miles per hour (97 km/h), the Yellowbird could outperform all competition when it came to top speed, topping out at 211 miles per hour (340 km/h), a top speed that made it the fastest sports car in the world at the time of its release.

The car received its nickname, "Yellowbird", during testing by Road & Track magazine, whose staffers noted the contrast created by its yellow paintwork against the overcast skies on the day of their photo shoot.

Weight: 1,170 kilograms (2,579 lb)
Power: 469 hp (350 kW) @ 5950 rpm
Torque: 408 lb•ft (553 N•m) @ 5950 rpm
Specific output: approx. 137 hp (102 kW) per litre
Power to weight ratio: approx. 5.4 pounds (2.4 kg) per horsepower
0-60 mph: 4.0 sec
0-125 mph: 11.4 sec
Quarter mile: 11.7 @ 133.5 mph (214.8 km/h)
Top Speed 212 mph (341 km/h)

With the introduction out of the way, all I need to say now is WOW!

WOW! What a machine
WOW! What sound
WOW! What comfort
WOW! What solidity
WOW! What a BEAST
WOW! What? It was built in 1987!!!

I was lucky enough to get a ride in this monster of a car…

Name:  copy 070.jpg
Views: 2418
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  copy 073.jpg
Views: 2745
Size:  158.6 KB

Name:  copy 075.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  copy 099.jpg
Views: 2417
Size:  170.9 KB

Name:  copy 172.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  copy 157.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  133.4 KB

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
It was a perfect day to be on the track, the sun was shining high, winds were low, the air was cool, and only a hand full of cars sharing the tarmac. We climb into the Bird and take a warm up lap, used it to get comfortable and wipe the drool of my seat. The next couple of laps were good fun where the car was pushed but not too hard as the brakes were not up to par.

But the minute another true marvel came in view the whole attitude changed… all I heard were the word “hmmm, what do you think? How will this 20 year old do against a CGT?” The only thought in my mind was “come on the CGT will kick ass but hey it will be fun”

It was FUN!!! And no the CGT did not kick ass… the YellowBird destroyed it!!!!!!!!!!! Within two turns we were ahead of the CGT and the only time it would get close was at the corners due to the soft brakes of the Ruf. It was SICK!! We would pull away on every straight… it was incredible. The only time we saw the rear of that CGT was when it was decided that the brakes cannot take it and they need to cool down…

Thank you F for an amazing experience…

Name:  copy 221.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  copy 196.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  copy 202.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  copy 208.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  copy 205.jpg
Views: 2715
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  copy 210.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  copy 211.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  81.2 KB

Old 01-17-2009, 08:35 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing thank you for sharing, the last picture is awesome.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Great post! Congrats on such a unique opportunity.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
I had to get sick yesterday and miss all of this! I still haven't seen this CTR. Third one in Bahrain by the way!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute
it looks much much better in real life!! congradulations to fawaz!!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
cupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing pics Gray! Wish I was there... you should have made half the effort of waking me up for this one as you had done on the 10th Muharram!

Shame on you! Last track day before the F1 in April!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
What an awesome story! Sounds like a great time! Man, I never would've guessed the CTR would be able to keep up that well with the CGT around the track! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
I had to get sick yesterday and miss all of this! I still haven't seen this CTR. Third one in Bahrain by the way!
3rd? i thought it was the 2nd...
but i am sure its the 1st to be pushed hard at BIC

Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for sharing those amazing shots!

Quick Reply: The Beast Unleashed - 1987 Ruf CTR “YellowBird”