Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   Official: Porsche 918 Spyder Shatters Nurburgring Record With Astonishing 6:57 Time (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/80831-official-porsche-918-spyder-shatters-nurburgring-record-astonishing-6-57-time.html)

911Boy 09-10-2013 06:29 AM

Official: Porsche 918 Spyder Shatters Nurburgring Record With Astonishing 6:57 Time

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 124073

Official: Porsche 918 Spyder Shatters Nurburgring Record
Sometimes, words cannot describe a feeling. But sometimes, a simple figure can: 6:57 minutes. Witness the record-shattering lap of the new 918 Spyder on the Nordschleife in this video.

Stuttgart. As the first vehicle to boast global road homologation, the Porsche 918 Spyder* has conquered the 20.6-kilometre lap around the Nürburgring Nordschleife in less than seven minutes. Achieving a time of exactly six minutes and 57 seconds, the super sportscar equipped with a hybrid drive shaved 14 seconds off the previous record. Wolfgang Hatz, member of the Porsche AG Board of Management in charge of Research and Development, had the following to say: "We promised a great deal with the 918 Spyder, namely to redefine driving pleasure, efficiency and performance. We have kept our word."

As is always the case with Porsche, the 918 Spyder is also leading the way for future generations as the latest in the line of super sportscars. It is currently making its global début at the International Motor Show (IAA). With its unique spread, the model blends maximum driving dynamics with minimal fuel consumption. By taking the Nürburgring record, the sportscar is demonstrating the enormous potential that lies in Porsche's pioneering plug-in hybrid concept, and is underpinning the leading role the company enjoys when it comes to developing sporty hybrid vehicles. "The radical hybridisation of the 918 Spyder from the very outset is what made this lap record possible" says Dr. Frank Walliser, head of the 918 Spyder project. "The lap time on the Nordschleife is and remains the toughest measure of a super sportscar. Posting a time of 6.57 minutes, we achieved a result of which everyone in the development team and at Porsche as a whole is rightly proud."

The record, which was previously held for four years, was even broken during the first attempt in the test drive on the morning of September 4. All three drivers – Former European Rally Champion Walter Röhrl, Porsche test driver Timo Kluck and Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb – were quicker than the existing record with each lap driving the two 918 Spyder models used, and posted lap times of less than seven minutes on numerous occasions. Ultimately, it was Marc Lieb who posted the absolute best time of 6.57 minutes, driving at an average speed of 179.5 km/h, as measured by Wige Solutions. Marcus Schurig, editor-in-chief of sportscar magazine "sport auto", was on hand as an objective observer of the record-breaking runs. The two sportscars, which deliver an output of 887 bhp (652 kW), were equipped with the optional "Weissach package" to increase the driving dynamics, and lead out on the standard Michelin tyres developed specifically for the 918 Spyder.

* 918 Spyder: combined fuel consumption: 3.3–3.0 l/100 km; combined energy consumption: 12.5–13.0 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions: 79–70 g/km

Source [Porsche]

Attachment 124074

hesperus 09-10-2013 07:17 AM

just saw this too!

i do think the P1 will go on to beat this... (and well it should, given the spec and the fact its not hampered by the heavy batteries)... but this surely steals a bit of thunder from Woking.

nikola1970 09-10-2013 08:00 AM

Bloody hell, that's fantastic time!

Sebaflex 09-10-2013 08:11 AM

i think this goes to prove that the 918 is faster than what people think it is.

DJ 09-10-2013 08:38 AM

Insane - adding the press release and image for you into your post now!

Ritesh 09-10-2013 09:36 AM

That is a crazy laptime. I can't wait to see McLaren and Ferrari's laptimes. Its going to be tough.

boy_wonder 09-10-2013 09:38 AM

ECS Tuning - Porsche 09-10-2013 09:54 AM

That's crazy fast :respekt:

DebruxxxLambo 09-10-2013 10:16 AM

Woaw can't wait to see the response from McLaren

GoFastKindaGuy 09-10-2013 10:19 AM

Insane! Love Lieb's in car camera view of his ring lap. It's clear he's been around it a time or two.

Tango 09-10-2013 10:27 AM

Congratulations to the people of Porsche, its global release came accompanied by an extraordinary achievement.

St_Ex 09-10-2013 11:04 AM

Crazy fast! I'm looking forward to see La Ferrari's and P1's lap time!

997 GT3 09-10-2013 11:50 AM

:golfclap:Congratulations Porsche!!!

Cartel...893 09-10-2013 12:21 PM

So anyone has informations if McLaren & Ferrari will hit the Ring this year?

I mean the time is running, the winter is near. No need to wait anymore. :shrug:

I know Mclaren was on the ring, but that was obviously not an official try. Some Mclaren insiders got any infos?

Ferrari wasn't on the Ring with the LF until now or?

Dave M 09-10-2013 12:28 PM

I could see Ferrari not ever realizing a time if it doesnt come close to that of the Porsche and McLaren.

nohssiwi 09-10-2013 01:15 PM

That's mighty fast. But the acceleration on the final straight was pretty low. I wish the 200-300 times weren't disappointing.

WindSpeed 09-10-2013 01:28 PM

Not only is it the most beautiful of the three new hypers, but it also is far faster than I expected. Game over, thanks Porsche!

GTCole 09-10-2013 03:02 PM

I watched his video of the run. IMHO he left 10 seconds on the track. Maybe by intent. They knew what it would run, and so there was no need to blow it up. That car has more.

kudryavchik 09-10-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GTCole (Post 1441179)
I watched his video of the run. IMHO he left 10 seconds on the track. Maybe by intent. They knew what it would run, and so there was no need to blow it up. That car has more.

Maybe because they have used normal road types, built to be economy on fuel and not on lap time performance? There are the talks that with non economy tires car makes 6-48

PaulGeudon 09-10-2013 03:49 PM

It's a brilliant time from the 918, no doubt. Also, seeing the video, you can see it meant a lot to them.

However, the P1 is going to blitz that time. They have been doing a LOT of development laps in the car at the Ring and have, apparently, already set a 6.33:22 in May this year. They have not released that time though, as they believe there was more to come. Since that date, they've been back several more times, but still no 'official' time yet. Maybe they are waiting to see if Ferrari show their hand?

That shouldn't take anything away from the 918 time though - the difference in price is rather considerable, and even more so compared to the LaFerrari (such a stupid name).

Well done Porsche.

Did anyone see that Jim Glickenhaus said that he thought the Porsche was the most impressive package (of the three Hybrid supercars). And that he has been told by Weissach that they are already developing a non-Hybrid version if the 918 and that's the one he's waiting for...

kudryavchik 09-10-2013 04:03 PM

6-33 was only a number for nothing. P1 previous run was 7-04

Sent from my GT-I9500 using teamspeed

La Artist 09-10-2013 04:29 PM

lol at p1 6.33

PS
Big up to porsche:)

Carrera 09-10-2013 04:34 PM

I agree. There were a few sketchy moments but for the most part the car looked very composed, and didn't appear "blisteringly fast" as you would think a sub 7 minute lap would. As you said Lieb definitely left a bit on the table in a few sections. What a car.

Winchm60 09-10-2013 04:56 PM

Well; that's crazy!!

PaulGeudon 09-10-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by La Artist (Post 1441187)
lol at p1 6.33

Radical Sportscars drove from their small factory in Peterborough, England, to the Nordschleife with their SR8 LM and posted a 6.48 on road tyres. I think the Porsche can probably get close to that. Still think a P1 doing a 6.33 is laughable? I guess we'll see...

kudryavchik 09-10-2013 05:23 PM

Radical made their lap with dunlop direzza track tyres. These tyres are far from being road tyres.

Now I have seen a post where porsche engineer said that p1 hasn't even passed 7 20s

Sent from my GT-I9500 using teamspeed

wtdoom 09-10-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by nohssiwi (Post 1441169)
That's mighty fast. But the acceleration on the final straight was pretty low. I wish the 200-300 times weren't disappointing.

the front e engine disconnects over a certain speed thats why its not as fast .
however the time is 5 seconds faster than the initial quote now .

Its the tyres too , you can see they were annihilated at the end of the lap .

Originally Posted by PaulGeudon (Post 1441182)
It's a brilliant time from the 918, no doubt. Also, seeing the video, you can see it meant a lot to them.

However, the P1 is going to blitz that time. They have been doing a LOT of development laps in the car at the Ring and have, apparently, already set a 6.33:22 in May this year. They have not released that time though, as they believe there was more to come. Since that date, they've been back several more times, but still no 'official' time yet. Maybe they are waiting to see if Ferrari show their hand?

That shouldn't take anything away from the 918 time though - the difference in price is rather considerable, and even more so compared to the LaFerrari (such a stupid name).

Well done Porsche.

Did anyone see that Jim Glickenhaus said that he thought the Porsche was the most impressive package (of the three Hybrid supercars). And that he has been told by Weissach that they are already developing a non-Hybrid version if the 918 and that's the one he's waiting for...

I used to think the same but Im not so sure now . I think the POrsche cant lose , they never said they would be the fastest on track . Unlike Ron Dennis .

please hear me out Id like to add my tuppence to the discussion .
P1 vs 918 .

I have been watching the development of these cars very closely .
I am a 12c owner and a Mclaren ( but mainly Porsche) fan .

I think Mclaren should be concerned .
The last time Mclaren went to the ring it was to "smash" the record . BTG times a 7.04 , Mclaren failed to comment . It's not the p1's first run gents . They were there before and it was only a few seconds slower .
As for the P1 time , Customer cars are being delivered in next 10 days and the weather will be changing at the ring now .
When will they do it and will they be timed by independents with witnesses etc ?
Please read the below , its from the press release :

The record, which was previously held for four years, was even broken during the first attempt in the test drive on the morning of September 4. All three drivers – Former European Rally Champion Walter Röhrl, Porsche test driver Timo Kluck and Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb – were quicker than the existing record with each lap driving the two 918 Spyder models used, and posted lap times of less than seven minutes on numerous occasions. Ultimately, it was Marc Lieb who posted the absolute best time of 6.57 minutes, driving at an average speed of 179.5 km/h, as measured by Wige Solutions. Marcus Schurig, editor-in-chief of sportscar magazine "sport auto", was on hand as an objective observer of the record-breaking runs. The two sportscars, which deliver an output of 887 bhp (652 kW), were equipped with the optional "Weissach package" to increase the driving dynamics, and lead out on the standard Michelin tyres developed specifically for the 918 Spyder.
Porsche hit a 6.57 .
This is horrific for Mclaren , it was with witnesses . The tyres on this car are NOT even TRACK BIASED TYRES .
I am shocked to tell you they are developed for grip , alweather use AND ECONOMY !
Lol economy for God sake .( p1 has more focused tyres ) I don't know enough about la Ferrari but I'm sure someone can enlighten us .

Watch the video You can see towards the end the non track tyres were dead , he was basically waiting for the front to bite .
Even with all the weight and luxury the 918 would be devastating on cup style rubber .
All the active aero elements were not even working !
This (918) is a luxurious all weather , Supercar , that's fully loaded with burmester sound systems , leather , infotainment systems etc etc . It's a bloody spider for god sake and was never meant to be a track day special . Like I said it was touted to me as a almost a Porsche veyron light , a do it all supercar AND fast on track .
A I said earlier Porsche can't really lose here , you see as they never said they would be fastest and never said they were building a track special .

Ron on the other hand did say they would kill everything on track and be the best drivers car ...
Just with the tyre , design , ethos and raison detre advantages advantage the p1 should crucify the the 918 . This car was touted as the ultimate track car while Porsche created a do it all , luxuriously appointed CABRIO and Ferrari a rolling work of glorious art . THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CLOSE < MCLAREN PROMISED THE FASTEST , THE ULTIMATE TRACK CAR . In all honestly I shouldnt even need to write this .

In my blunt and ( I admit ) harsh opinion anything less than TOTAL domination of the P1 on tracks like the ring is a failure for mclaren and I blame Ron Dennis himself for promising stuff that there was absolutely no reason to promise . Its always better to under promise and over deliver , the reverse is suicide .

One more factoid .
There was a run of 6:48 on non e rated tyres , this was an internal Porsche thing only done out of curiosity . This is not very important to them or us I am the first to admit . The stickier tyres will possibly be offered later as an option for the Weissach package . I believe this it is being kept hush hush in case they need to bring out a faster time should any other car smash them too far out of the park .

Mclaren need to push and hard . Im not sure they can do it and I fear we may see a P1 in the barriers in the next few weeks ...

Moral of the story is , PORSCHE nobody does it better

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...ing-record.jpg

Carrera 09-10-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by wtdoom (Post 1441208)
Moral of the story is , PORSCHE nobody does it better

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...ing-record.jpg

Very good points wtdoom. I honestly think it is becoming scary just how unmatched Porsche engineers are. The 991 GT3 faster than the 12C? The insane acceleration of the 991 Turbo? The 918's sub 7 minute time on track neutral tires, that coupled with how heavy and luxurious it is.

Porsche engineers are truly unmatched in any performance related segment, and this record just tops it all off. Sure the Radical did it "faster" but as said put the 918 on track tires and it would go even faster.

I think this is all coming at a cost though. In my opinion, as astonishing as Porsche's performance feats are becoming, the cars are becoming far too refined and complicated. I'm almost positive Porsche won't be making any sort of manual transmission car in the near future. I hope I'm wrong though and they realize they can still focus their obsessive engineering on the principles they were founded on, rather than just making their cars post unbelievable numbers.

What I just wrote would probably be utter BS to any Porsche engineer, but as long as their is a second hand market abundant with bargain priced 997's and 993's I can't complain!

Tango 09-10-2013 07:44 PM

2014 Porsche 918 Spyder High Speed on the Nürburgring

kudryavchik 09-11-2013 04:44 AM

It seems that in the beginning of the main straight on the final part of the track the batteries were low, thats why Lieb moved to hybrid and thats why acceleration was stuck on 280-290. In the beginning of lap you can see how fast car hits 300 kph when charged. But, it seems to me, that the car was not fully charged before the run. So, comparably comfortable lap. If needed - they will hit 6-50 I think.

patrick95 09-11-2013 06:58 AM

The man himself admits he wasn't going 100% and he can do a better lap.
Porsche 918 Spyder blitzes Nurburgring record

GTCole 09-11-2013 06:59 AM

Can't believe there were no comments on the picture of the car off the ground. Awesome pic. Someone should start a thread of Porsche's like that. Great pics.

St_Ex 09-11-2013 07:04 AM

Keep in mind that the weather is a major factor in the Ring....

wtdoom 09-12-2013 05:16 AM

There is more time in the car ;)

Cartel...893 09-12-2013 06:38 AM

Surely the time is pretty amazing, but some of you guys acting like Porsche made the impossible possible and Ferrari and Mclaren have no clue about anything.

It was very obvious that Porsche will land a great time, they're not the first time on the Ring for testing. Porsche has more experience than anyone else on the Ring, thats a huge advantage. So the laptime isn't very suprising.

I wish Porsche would bring a non hybrid version, with less weight etc. The 918 is a compromise, so there are a lot of emotions going lost for me because all these hybrid shit.

And who says Mclaren had problems to achieve 7:05 ? Maybe it was just a normal test run like porsche did it thousand times at the ring with a lot worser times?

Let's wait and see, until now nothing magical happened.

boyko23 09-12-2013 07:23 AM

Haha, anything below 7.00 min is magic, my friend! :golfclap:
And just because of the "hybrid shit", now Mclaren and ferrari will have sleepless nights.

GTCole 09-12-2013 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Cartel...893;1441336]Porsche has more experience than anyone else on the Ring, thats a huge advantage. So the laptime isn't very suprising.

QUOTE]

Man, that's seriously lame. Let someone put Kimi in a supercar that isn't a Porsche and tell me there is no advantage? Lame.
Google the best lap times of cars and tell me the 6:57 is a bunch of nothing. I've had a few of the cars on the list. So for the 918 to beat a GT2 RS by over 25 seconds, or a Viper ACR by 15 seconds, is incredible. The next car is the Gumpert. You ever driven one of those? Beat it by 15 seconds. I guess Gumpert has no drivers and Porsche got em on the advantage deal. Lame again.

wtdoom 09-12-2013 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=GTCole;1441342]

Originally Posted by Cartel...893 (Post 1441336)
Porsche has more experience than anyone else on the Ring, thats a huge advantage. So the laptime isn't very suprising.

QUOTE]

Man, that's seriously lame. Let someone put Kimi in a supercar that isn't a Porsche and tell me there is no advantage? Lame.
Google the best lap times of cars and tell me the 6:57 is a bunch of nothing. I've had a few of the cars on the list. So for the 918 to beat a GT2 RS by over 25 seconds, or a Viper ACR by 15 seconds, is incredible. The next car is the Gumpert. You ever driven one of those? Beat it by 15 seconds. I guess Gumpert has no drivers and Porsche got em on the advantage deal. Lame again.

Especially when you consider the car is an economical , luxuriously appointed , do it all , 4 wd , spyder never designed to just be about ultimate lap times rather more a car that is good at everything .
It's a bloody impressive achievement .

81911 09-12-2013 09:08 AM

Cartel is proving himself to be quite the idiot.

Supersports 09-12-2013 02:33 PM

Regardless of what brand you are passionate about, this time is stunning. Realistically clients wanting either the P1/ LaFerrari/ 918 will not purchase the car based on these times, they will be buying based on what 'tickles their fancy'
Yes Porsche has experience of the ring and some fantastic drivers but so do many other companies. If buyers were looking for the 'fastest' possible time at the ring then all three of these cars would not tick that box.

The video shows how Porsches incredible engineering has produced an awesome next generation Supercar. Yes people will wonder what a lighter 'non hybrid' version would be like. But why not celebrate this remarkable car for what it is. If you hanker after a car with no hybrid batteries and a manual gearbox etc, Porsche made one of those .....it's called the Carrera GT.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using teamspeed