Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

ATL's first track day in the Superleggera. Review, video and pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
ATL's first track day in the Superleggera. Review, video and pics!

I’ve been up for the last couple nights replaying this day in my mind. The sound, the speed, the lateral G’s, the acceleration, and the pure adrenaline rush was beyond anything I’ve ever experienced. I have gained a lot of respect for the Superleggera after this weekend. Any car can go fast in a straight line but the track really unleashes its full potential. There is so much performance in this car begging to be unleashed I can’t help but feel like it’s bored sitting on a freeway in rush hour traffic. Kind of like Kobe Bryant playing basketball in high school--going directly into the NBA was long overdue. So being a considerate bull owner, I finally let him loose on the track and for the first time he felt right at home.

For my very first track day I decided to bring the Super G out to Talladega Grand Prix Raceway. It’s a good place for someone like me to get started. For you hardcore track guys I’m sure you can relate to your first time out on the track. For those of you that have never been, you owe it to yourself at least one time to give it a shot. Even if you’re not an adrenaline junkie or a speed demon you will enjoy it.

The Super G belongs on the track. I have to admit I was a little nervous bringing an exotic to the track, but after a couple of test laps I had no problem putting the gas pedal to the floor. The car stays planted no matter what you do to it and in terms of acceleration and torque it just keeps pulling, I was pushing about 120 down the straights but the car was begging for more. In each and every turn the AWD instilled so much confidence I found myself going into each one faster and faster. Being that it was my first time out there I wasn’t willing to push it to the max. I was probably at 80% of it’s potential if that. My track buddy, a seasoned track veteran of 10 years gave me some words of wisdom before we went out on my first run “There are no winners on track day, just losers. Don’t be a loser.” The last thing I wanted was to end up on wreckedexotics.com.

Over the course of the day, I ran 5 sessions at about 15 laps each. I was happy with my lap times, but I couldn’t help but feel like I could do better. On the video I did about 1:15 but I know I can shave off a few seconds. I’m told this reaction is normal “oh yeah, I wasn’t pushing it that hard anyway, I could have done way better.” I have to give credit to the car, it really makes you look like you know exactly what you’re doing. Plain and simple, everything works the way it should, no rattling, no shaking, always enough torque, grip, it was perfect. It’s beautiful when a machine performs exactly the way you want it to, I really think the car is flawless. I even let my [cop] friend take it out during one of the sessions and it absolutely made his day.

My track buddy had an HD camera setup and we mounted it next to the engine compartment. Some of the sound quality was lost when I uploaded it to Vimeo but you get the idea. It’s sheer bliss. To me the sound alone justifies the price of the car. It is worth every penny. I threw in a couple extra downshifts just for you guys. With the sound of 10 cylinders screaming behind me (windows down of course) I couldn’t help but crack a smile each time. There really isn’t anything more liberating than pushing a Lamborghini down a straightaway at wide open throttle in a controlled environment. No cops (except for the one riding shotgun), no deer, no distractions. Nothing but absolute freedom.

On a sentimental note, exactly 8 years ago to this very day I left college and drove down to LA in my little Nissan Sentra to start my career. I was inspired then, and I'm even more inspired now. I’m humbled by the opportunity to own such a fine automobile and to be able to share my experience with you.

After today I have a soft spot for Lamborghinis that become garage queens and only see occasional action on weekends or date nights. That is just cruel. I’m going to start a Save-the-Bulls charity. I will connect volunteer drivers with neglected Lambos and give them an opportunity to experience the good life. What do you think?

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera on the track on Vimeo

Attached Images           

Last edited by ATL; 11-30-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool!!!!!!!!

Love the sentimental note. I am repped out.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Must have been quite the experience! Wouldn't have mind some more audio in that clip though

Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, I'm jealous of all the shenanigans!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bronto
Must have been quite the experience! Wouldn't have mind some more audio in that clip though
It was amazing! As for audio, it is a lot quieter and doesn't match perfectly with the video for some reason. If you were standing on the track I think you would have been pleased with the sound coming from the car.

I have a video of that too, let's see if I can upload it without losing too much quality.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Again - super awesome, C-bagz! I lurve that car so much!!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
thank you for sharing, I like the photos and the narrative..

Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work, that thing looks like an absolute blast to drive on track

Old 11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Brando You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thumbs up

Glad you had fun!!!!!!

I would have been there........IF you had of told me about it sooner than the afternoon of the day before.

I took my buddy up to the mountains on Fri and we had a blast. He just bought a Z06 and was getting the feel of it.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice, looks and sounds like a ton of fun to drive! Nice write up. Liked the sentimental note

Quick Reply: ATL's first track day in the Superleggera. Review, video and pics!