Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo (https://teamspeed.com/forums/aventador-hurac-n-murcielago-gallardo/)
-   -   Massive Gallardo crash in Super Trofeo leaves Bartocc in intensive care (https://teamspeed.com/forums/aventador-hurac-n-murcielago-gallardo/42197-massive-gallardo-crash-super-trofeo-leaves-bartocc-intensive-care.html)

DJ 05-24-2010 11:11 PM

Massive Gallardo crash in Super Trofeo leaves Bartocc in intensive care

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2921/10gallardo.jpg
Giorgio Bartocci Lamborghini Super Trofeo Crash

"The Lamborghini Super Trofeo Cup saw a massive accident during Round 4 of the season. From what we can tell, the number 22 Gallardo LP560-4 driven by Giorgio Bartocci got off into the gravel on the last turn before the front straight. It's unclear whether Bartocci was nudged by another racer or whether a mechanical failure caused the slide, but either way, the car hit the wall at considerable speed and nearly disintegrated on impact.

The driver's side door sprung open as the car slid down the tarmac, and Bartocci could be seen flailing outside the vehicle. When it finally came to a stop, the Raging Bull turned into a raging fireball. Fire crews initially took longer than expected to pull the driver from the wreckage and were seen using underpowered fire extinguishers to battle the blaze. The FIA is expected to investigate the incident. Amazingly, Bartocci survived the ordeal and is currently in intensive care.
Lamborghini canceled the remainder of the event and rounds six and seven have been indefinitely nixed as well."
Source [Autoblog]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFY-...layer_embedded

YouTube - Super Trofeo Brno crash aftermath

vtgts300kw 05-24-2010 11:32 PM

holy seatbelt fail.

KimoTh3rapy 05-24-2010 11:34 PM

wow thats ridiculous, hopefully he's okay.

RonnieRenaldi 05-24-2010 11:47 PM

Worst race accident I've seen!

Hernando 05-24-2010 11:58 PM

That's a terrible accident. It's amazing how it just disintegrated upon impact like that. It's shocking to see the seat belt fail like that, shouldn't it still be able to keep the driver IN the vehicle. He's lucky it didn't roll over. Also, what a weak emergency crew. Shitty fire extinguishers, and only two guys made it out at first. It took the fire truck more than 2 minutes to reach the accident.

I'm interested to know the outcome of all this. I hope the driver recovers quickly.

vtgts300kw 05-25-2010 12:11 AM

It absolutely shouldn't have taken the fire-truck 2mins to respond, and nor should the firefighters be equipped with such pathetic hand extinguishes, but at least the guy was concentrating his spray around the driver.

djantlive 05-25-2010 12:18 AM

Hope driver makes it out okay. It's amazing how bad the crash turned out to be.

JonA85 05-25-2010 12:30 AM

That was one hell of a crash, hope the driver ends up okay.

tips 05-25-2010 02:54 AM

masive crash, wish him full recovery

670-SV 05-25-2010 04:04 AM

damn it! that is one crazy crash...the driver could have lost a life there! D:

dmanero 05-25-2010 01:15 PM

The impact was massive to say the least and the point of impact was at the worst place too, no wonder the whole front clip got ripped off. Probably one of the top 5 worset crashes I've seen to date. Hopefully he will return to racing when he recovers.

h20skier 05-25-2010 01:44 PM

Holy Crap. That car blew into pieces faster than I've ever seen on a track. I also agree the safety harness did nothing. I hit a wall years ago at 160 and barely moved in my cup. I just don't understand how that Lambo just blew into pieces so quickly

I hope the driver is ok. Wow is all I can say.

Alzilla 05-25-2010 02:55 PM

I'm also really surprised it just blew up into a fireball so easily. Maybe Lambo took a page from the Ford Pinto...

I hope the driver will be OK and can race again.

chrisc88 05-25-2010 03:05 PM

lucky this happened in-front of the PITS!!! Imagine if this in a remote area of the track...dammm

DchaMD 05-25-2010 03:11 PM

That's a dangerous wall. They need to do something about that. That could have been head on.

ECB 05-25-2010 03:20 PM

shit!

another incident that may be added to Lamborghini Murcielago Crash Unfall (temporary closed)

those freakin bulls are real widow makers

GuessWho 05-25-2010 03:32 PM

Thats nuts, hope the driver is ok!

Q8_TwinTurbo 05-25-2010 03:52 PM

That is horribly painful to watch. I just hope the driver makes it through and get's well very soon.

STOPPIE 05-25-2010 04:10 PM

I'm am shocked at the incredible delay in pulling the driver from the car. W T F?

KristofD10 05-25-2010 04:18 PM

Hopefully the driver will be ok!

IIVVX 05-25-2010 04:22 PM

holy shit. failure from every angle. trofeo cup should be racing alongside F2.

h20skier 05-25-2010 10:12 PM

I'd sure like to see the crash report. I see Car Fail at it's finest. That car shouldn't explode this quickly without a serious flaw. I also see issues with his harness system. What's going on Lambo would be my question. It almost seems like the back wall of the car holding the harness pulled apart and sent him flying. Fail all over. Holy Crap how horrific.

Ttime253 05-25-2010 11:52 PM

DAMN!!! wishin him a full recovery!

dyvatvol15 05-26-2010 05:21 AM

Girgio Bartocci was transported to Italy yesterday. He is stabilized and he communicates with doctors. Hope he'll be fine soon.

vtgts300kw 05-26-2010 05:27 AM

Roger Freath died in the early 90's ( I think ) in a rally car crash because his harness was mounted to the floor of the car which was ripped away, effectively crushing him in his seat.

That changed the rules making it necessary to mount harness to the cage.

This is a huge fail.

matti55 05-26-2010 06:38 AM

the Lamborghini looks like a very frail car.
and, the marshals looks to be somewhat confused. as they do not know what to do. it looks like something from the nineteen seventies.

TommyJames 05-26-2010 01:27 PM

Manfred Fitzgerald, head of branding and design at Lamborghini was the one seen pulling the driver out of the fire. My hat is off to Manfred for risking his own safety to get the driver out when others seem more concerned with other matters. Character is often revealed when were tested in such emergencies. While I'm sure they will sort out what went wrong after the accident, I'm extremely impressed that he got in there and did what was necessary to save the driver.

h20skier 05-26-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TommyJames (Post 623484)
Manfred Fitzgerald, head of branding and design at Lamborghini was the one seen pulling the driver out of the fire. My hat is off to Manfred for risking his own safety to get the driver out when others seem more concerned with other matters. Character is often revealed when were tested in such emergencies. While I'm sure they will sort out what went wrong after the accident, I'm extremely impressed that he got in there and did what was necessary to save the driver.

While I applaud you do have to admit that thing blew faster than expected. It's a touch on the scary side. Manfred went in when others wouldn't and that is pure character. I hope he didn't do it because He felt responsible and it was just instinct.

TommyJames 05-26-2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by h20skier (Post 623514)
While I applaud you do have to admit that thing blew faster than expected. It's a touch on the scary side. Manfred went in when others wouldn't and that is pure character. I hope he didn't do it because He felt responsible and it was just instinct.

I've not read anything about the speed at the time of impact so it's hard to sideline quarterback. I'm sure that car is being evaluated to figure out what went wrong. I can't begin to imagine what was going through Manfred's head. I spoke with him just hours earlier and I shot him an e-mail to see how he's doing but no word yet. Regardless of his motives, it was what I hope I'd do under the same circumstances. That had to be hot as hell pulling him out.

Tom

h20skier 05-26-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TommyJames (Post 623564)
I've not read anything about the speed at the time of impact so it's hard to sideline quarterback. I'm sure that car is being evaluated to figure out what went wrong. I can't begin to imagine what was going through Manfred's head. I spoke with him just hours earlier and I shot him an e-mail to see how he's doing but no word yet. Regardless of his motives, it was what I hope I'd do under the same circumstances. That had to be hot as hell pulling him out.

Tom

That car must have been in the low 100's at impact. Possibly a flat with a foot hard to the floor sent him. Could've been a slight rub by another car.

I'd have gone for the driver only but man the heat would've been insane. I agree. The gas explosion basically happened. Just flames now.

Will this sideline the Lambo races for a bit or business as usual?

RDuke 05-26-2010 03:18 PM

Wow, that's massive fail on so many levels. From what I can see:

1. Lambo safety fail. The car should have held up much better than that based on 100-140 mph crash. The cage/drivers area should always remain in tact. I suspect there was some major failures in there somewhere

2. Safety harness fail. Something's not right here. The driver should have barely moved in his seat from that impact. If the harness was cut in the impact then it's a car design problem IMO.

3. Track crew fail. 2 minute response time for a fire truck, fire crew focusing on the flames rather than the driver? Give me a break.

On a side note I believe it was the same driver I watched a few weeks ago in another round where he was leading the race and spun without contact on the last few laps. Appeard to be driver error.

AusRoss 05-26-2010 04:24 PM

If you look at the moment of impact, it looks like there is an entrance of some kind to the track that makes a sharp corner in the wall where he hit.

h20skier 05-26-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AusRoss (Post 623720)
If you look at the moment of impact, it looks like there is an entrance of some kind to the track that makes a sharp corner in the wall where he hit.

That's the track entrance

Originally Posted by RDuke (Post 623644)
On a side note I believe it was the same driver I watched a few weeks ago in another round where he was leading the race and spun without contact on the last few laps. Appeard to be driver error.

Not uncommon in the Ferrari or Lambo series. Gentleman racing doesn't always have a lot of experience behind the wheel

TommyJames 05-26-2010 05:24 PM

There is a two part segment on YouTube with the difference between 50 MPH versus 100 MPH. As you can see from the impact on Part 2 the G-force is more than triple. Here are both parts of the segment.

YouTube - MythBusters - Mythssion Control: Crash Force part 1 of 2

YouTube - MythBusters - Mythssion Control: Crash Force part 2 of 2

h20skier 05-26-2010 05:41 PM

Ugh 20 minutes. I believe ya. My point is that it blew so quickly. That's freaky. It's been a while since I've seen anything close to this.

TommyJames 05-26-2010 08:55 PM

Fast forward on the second video to the results of the car hitting the wall at 100 MPH. Notice how little is left of the car. That would require a hell of a cage to still keep that car's cabin in something other than a ball, and even then, without something to absorb the shock, the G-forces would have been even more severe. It's got to be a giant challenge building a race car within any existing platform and still keep it completely safe. Look at what NASCAR has become and they still have injuries. I'm sure Lamborghini will go through this car very carefully to try and improve the safety of the sport.

B4rad 05-28-2010 02:35 AM

That was a crazy crash. Hope the driver makes a full recovery

h20skier 05-28-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by TommyJames (Post 623969)
Fast forward on the second video to the results of the car hitting the wall at 100 MPH. Notice how little is left of the car. That would require a hell of a cage to still keep that car's cabin in something other than a ball, and even then, without something to absorb the shock, the G-forces would have been even more severe. It's got to be a giant challenge building a race car within any existing platform and still keep it completely safe. Look at what NASCAR has become and they still have injuries. I'm sure Lamborghini will go through this car very carefully to try and improve the safety of the sport.

So my question would be Why would they race them if they didn't build them for it. Sometimes you have to see the forest through the trees. I hit a wall 4 or 5 years ago at 160mph in one of my gt3 cups and was just pissed off. Car saved my life. I hardly knew it happened. Well except the $85k repair bill. I knew about that. I also raced that same car again 2 weeks later 3000 miles away. Porsche knows the game. Possibly Lambo shouldn't play until they've resolved them?

TommyJames 06-01-2010 05:01 AM

I can't even begin to speculate. The car doesn't look like it's moving that fast until it hits the wall and literally explodes. I've seen the Super Trofeo cars in person and they are different, right off the assembly line and appear to be built for racing, but I have no idea to what standards. I'm sure the Audi side will go through it very carefully with Lamborghini.

ECB 06-06-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ECB (Post 622603)
shit!

another incident that may be added to Lamborghini Murcielago Crash Unfall (temporary closed)

those freakin bulls are real widow makers

now go ahead and check the site out...it's online again
And I think one can read it in english as well

many many Lambos failed badly

EDIT : english Version http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghin...ago-crash.html

and the latest crash is covered by him as well