Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Ron Dennis calls Bugatti Veyron a "Complete Piece of Junk!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
Ron Dennis calls Bugatti Veyron a "Complete Piece of Junk!"

Ran across this article this morning, some very harsh criticism by Ron Dennis of McLaren. I didn't know that you had to cut the car apart to get to the motor, haven't heard much for handling numbers either. As much as I don't like the Veyron aestheitcally, you have to respect the performance numbers, would be interested in hearing others point of view. Any Veryon owners out there?

McLaren Chairman calls Bugatti Veyron “a complete piece of junk” - egmCarTech

The Chairman of McLaren Automotive, Ron Dennis, recently said that the Bugatti Veyron is “a complete piece of junk.”

“The Bugatti Veyron is a complete piece of junk. I think it is. I believe I can look at a range of women and I can see beauty in most of them, but I can look at a Bugatti and I think it is pig ugly,” Dennis said. “The Veyron doesn’t do anything for me. I’ve been looking at it for years, and I don’t see one single thing that makes me feel good.”

Dennis also criticized BBC’s Top Gear and their recent road race organized in Abu Dhabi between a Bugatti Veyron and the McLaren F1. He said that the race had to be rigged to make the Veyron look quicker than it was.

“I know that they have to cut the car open to take the engine out. To make an engine in that configuration, you know, it doesn’t go around corners. When we did the race in Abu Dhabi, we beat it off the line so many times that the film crew was getting frustrated because the outcome was supposed to be for the Bugatti to win. So we had to do that whole thing about ten times before it managed to get off the line cleanly and catch us up. Because every time they dropped the clutch it bogged down and we were gone.”

Ouch – we are awaiting Bugatti’s and Jeremy Clarkson’s reply.

More links

Bugatti Veyron 'A Piece of Junk' - Ron Dennis | Cars UK | UK Car News

Bugatti Veyron is a 'piece of junk' - McLaren Boss Ron Dennis

Buggati Veyron a piece of junk: Ron Dennis - News - Zigwheels

Report: McLaren Boss Calls Bugatti Veyron “A Complete Piece of Junk” | AutoGuide.com News

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Talk about a really old article! I't probably a repost, but I don't know. I do like the F1 more than the Veyron, but I don't think the Veyron's a piece of junk. And, I do believe the F1 was quicker off the line than that 2.5 ton monster.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
Wow! Talk about a really old article! I't probably a repost, but I don't know. I do like the F1 more than the Veyron, but I don't think the Veyron's a piece of junk. And, I do believe the F1 was quicker off the line than that 2.5 ton monster.
I think there was a video posted here a while back, although I'm not sure, of the Veyron and the F1 racing straight up on a road in Dubai or something. The Veyron had it beat off the line if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Totally missed the sentence in which they mentioned the Top Gear episode. Apologies.

Last edited by clemson3; 08-31-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by d33pblu3
Dennis also criticized BBC’s Top Gear and their recent road race organized in Abu Dhabi between a Bugatti Veyron and the McLaren F1. He said that the race had to be rigged to make the Veyron look quicker than it was.
Top Gear is an entertainment show that every so often takes a passing stab at some form of automotive journalism. It's a very entertaining show, however, all of the speed contests, drag races, lap times, etc, etc, should be taken for what they are: entertainment.

Anyway, this particular topic was beaten to death not that long ago.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Chris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud ofChris@TheExperience has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by d33pblu3
Ran across this article this morning, some very harsh criticism by Ron Dennis of McLaren. I didn't know that you had to cut the car apart to get to the motor, haven't heard much for handling numbers either. As much as I don't like the Veyron aestheitcally, you have to respect the performance numbers, would be interested in hearing others point of view. Any Veryon owners out there?

McLaren Chairman calls Bugatti Veyron “a complete piece of junk” - egmCarTech

The Chairman of McLaren Automotive, Ron Dennis, recently said that the Bugatti Veyron is “a complete piece of junk.”

“The Bugatti Veyron is a complete piece of junk. I think it is. I believe I can look at a range of women and I can see beauty in most of them, but I can look at a Bugatti and I think it is pig ugly,” Dennis said. “The Veyron doesn’t do anything for me. I’ve been looking at it for years, and I don’t see one single thing that makes me feel good.”

“I know that they have to cut the car open to take the engine out. To make an engine in that configuration, you know, it doesn’t go around corners. When we did the race in Abu Dhabi, we beat it off the line so many times that the film crew was getting frustrated because the outcome was supposed to be for the Bugatti to win. So we had to do that whole thing about ten times before it managed to get off the line cleanly and catch us up. Because every time they dropped the clutch it bogged down and we were gone.”

Ouch – we are awaiting Bugatti’s and Jeremy Clarkson’s reply.

More links

Bugatti Veyron 'A Piece of Junk' - Ron Dennis | Cars UK | UK Car News

Bugatti Veyron is a 'piece of junk' - McLaren Boss Ron Dennis

Buggati Veyron a piece of junk: Ron Dennis - News - Zigwheels

Report: McLaren Boss Calls Bugatti Veyron “A Complete Piece of Junk” | AutoGuide.com News
If you owned McLaren and your car was regarded as the fastest car running for somewhere around a decade long streak - you would have hatred and envy too. The McLaren is lighter, I've heard it launches faster, but the Bugatti kills it in the end.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
sk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond repute
Both cars are amazing, but personally I prefer the F1 over Veyron because I think the F1 looks better and it seems like a driver's car.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by clemson3
I think there was a video posted here a while back, although I'm not sure, of the Veyron and the F1 racing straight up on a road in Dubai or something. The Veyron had it beat off the line if I remember correctly.
If you don't know what Top Gear is you better ask somebody.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Finally someone calls it like it is the car is a hunk of crap.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DchaMD
If you don't know what Top Gear is you better ask somebody.
I know exactly what Top Gear is, I watch it all the time. I missed the sentence in the OP that mentioned it. Seems like i can't read lol

Last edited by clemson3; 08-31-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Simba
Top Gear is an entertainment show that every so often takes a passing stab at some form of automotive journalism. It's a very entertaining show, however, all of the speed contests, drag races, lap times, etc, etc, should be taken for what they are: entertainment.

Anyway, this particular topic was beaten to death not that long ago.
+1

In the Top Gear "race" between the Veyron and the F1, the Veyron did not use launch control causing it to bog off the line. The Veyron kills an F1 off the line. Best 0-60 I've ever seen for an F1 was 3.2 seconds, Veyron has repeatedly done it in 2.5.

Quick Reply: Ron Dennis calls Bugatti Veyron a "Complete Piece of Junk!"