Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

Red Zinfandel Suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Red Zinfandel Suggestions???

Like the title says, I need to re-up my zin collection and would love to hear some ideas.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I see you down there Eric

Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
JC, there are 3 things to know about selecting Zin's that will always get you a great bottle at a great price;
1) Dry Creek Valley - if all of the grapes come from that region, chances are it will be very good, if not excellent. Napa Zins are hit and miss, and the good ones are usually oeverpriced. Central Coast Zins are also hit and miss. Dry Creek Valley Zins are very good to excellent and usually very well priced.
2) Rockpile - its a small appelation within the Dry Creek Valley area (just west of Healdsburg) that consistently yields big, bold Zins with lots of fruit.
3) Seghesio - IMHO, the benchmark Zin producer in the US. Hands down the best Zins from top to bottom. Their basic $20 zin (blue foil) is a beautifully balanced wine that is tough to beat for the price. Any of their higher pricepoint wines are out of this world.

There are so many others to list, I don't know where to start. Here are a few other thoughts;
- The best ZIn I have tried in recent memory is Ledson Old Vine Zin from Sonoma. It is really hard to find. If you can find their "Really Old Vine Zin" its suppposed to be even better.
- Ravenswood is another iconic Zin maker. Their higher end stuff is amazing, but the lower end stuff can't hold a candle to the Dry Creek Valley zins.
- Any Zin from Helen Turley is going to be really big and really good.
- Besides Seghesio, other Dry Creek Valley producers to look for will be Rafanelli, Quivira, Preston, Dry Creek Vineyard, Mauritson, Mazzacco and Sbragio
- "Old Vine" doesn't always mean it will be good.

That should be enough info to get you started

Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
7 Deadly Zins is my current favorite. $11 per bottle from Costco (although they were out when I went looking for it yesterday). I've seen it at HEB as well. I'm sure it's not super high-end, but to my unseasoned taste buds, it's kicked the ass of every sub-$50 bottle I've tried in the past year.

Gnarly Head also does a great budget Zin, but the 2006 is the best year, and that's been a little hard to find.

You made it out from Fogmageddon, then? Austin meetup sometime soon?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Being that The JC is from Texas, I think you might enjoy this selection as well.....

Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
Being that The JC is from Texas, I think you might enjoy this selection as well.....

Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Saldo.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bought a mixed case today of six different bottles. Tried the Rafanelli and I'm buying the six remaining bottles at spec's tomorrow morning.

Also bought an assortment of Ridge and Seghesio zins. Thanks again for the suggestion Eric.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
Bought a mixed case today of six different bottles. Tried the Rafanelli and I'm buying the six remaining bottles at spec's tomorrow morning.

Also bought an assortment of Ridge and Seghesio zins. Thanks again for the suggestion Eric.
John if you go to Spec's in the a.m. ask for Ralph. Tell him you are a friend of mine. I know him well. He will point you in the right direction whatever you choose.

Last edited by bmoores; 03-01-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^I know Ralph rather well

Quick Reply: Red Zinfandel Suggestions???