Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Project: AW///M3 - Photo Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about
Talking Project: AW///M3 - Photo Buildup

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2010 E90 M3 AW on black interior. Went with the DCT tranny, all options except cold weather. Heated seats keep the wifey happy up in these hills . It's my first time on Teamspeed, but not a first timer in a 3-Series...they've always been great cars. And of course, I've also still got a bright red AP2 in the stable that will always catch my eye.

Just a bit about myself. I'm a 24/7 full-time photographer amongst other things so I figured I'd start a photo adventure of the build-up. I'm going full steam with this project in hopes to make it for MFest and WILL take the plunge on modding, so this should be fun. You'll catch me mainly running around the Diamond Bar / Pomona area so if there are any meets maybe I can catch one before the event?

Anyways, enjoy! BTW...I also happened to pick up an Akrapovic Evolution based on the quality and reviews I've seen, but I do have comments about the sound/increased power output. Pictures and review to follow.

Andrew

***building the photos, bear with me***

~~~Modlist~~~

Currently Installed:
-Akrapovic Evolution Full Ti - 5/5 Service from Pyspeed Eric!

Planned (way too many to list):
3/2/09 - thinking of suspension mods... spacers and some type of drop are most likely next.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about1036E90M has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Akrapovic Evolution Install (part 1)

So after the initial break-in period, it was time to actually mount up the Akrapovic and do a little comparo at the muffler shop. If you're near the OC area and need a reputable install shop, my buddies at OC Muffler are more than well equipped to handle the install, ask for Mike. I also knew that they would be alright with me documenting the process and completely didn't mind taking quick photo breaks. Ask for Mike and as always, they're customer service is top-notch...and an install without any hiccups is easily less than $200.

Pictures:

-Stock, before going under the knife...

-Some serious muffler craftsmanship

-Full Ti Akrapovic system laid out

-Final words, final views...

-The signature Akrapovic tips we're all big fans of

-At some points there were times I knew the weight of the stock exhaust had to suck on the removal part.

-Probably the cleanest I'll ever get to see her undercarriage!

-And all of a sudden that much easier to hold up during installation

-Akra tip placement

-Thanks again to Mike for his patience on the tip placement.

-Full Akra Evolution in its entireity.

-Another final angle at it..

Overall the exhaust install experience went quick and painless. Took about an hour and a half since I went on a weekday (possibly a bit more with my picture-taking interruptions). I've had the system on for a few hundred miles and I'll definitely throw my input and review out there next.

I do want to give special thanks to Pyspeed/Eric for working with me on an an the entire Akra system. :thumbsup: I even had it in the bag before I picked up the M and he was helpful every step of the way about providing pics, reviews, etc. I'll throw this in real quick though... the "drone" that people say isn't there, well it's there alright, but manageable compared to some of the vids I've studied. A more detailed review to follow.

And also, thanks Mike at OCMuffler! Sometimes it's worth the drive out for peace of mind during an install especially while I'm documenting...great customer service just can't be beat!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
I also want to say I've been an avid follower of tS and get here quick via facebook page announcements, lol.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the Team! First off, let me congratulate you on the new purchase! Your M3 looks great and amazingly clean! lol The exhaust looks great too. I'd love to see some videos so we can hear what the new exhaust sounds like.

What other mods do you have planned? Can you share some more of your wonderful photography with us?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to Teamspeed! Congrats on your new E90 M3 - AW on black is great combo.

The full Akrapovic system is one heck of a first mod.

Last edited by mtechnik; 03-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the Team!! Good Looking ride, and great choice on the exhaust!! JC919 is gonna be jealous!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
lbwsandiego is an unknown quantity at this point
Great exhaust pics; excellent color choice-- love AW.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
GT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud of
Great looking car! I almost got the same exact car and color myself. good taste

Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Welcome to the Team! First off, let me congratulate you on the new purchase! Your M3 looks great and amazingly clean! lol The exhaust looks great too. I'd love to see some videos so we can hear what the new exhaust sounds like.

What other mods do you have planned? Can you share some more of your wonderful photography with us?
Thank you sir! Although I'll hate myself, I'm planning to be as significant as possible for the upcoming MFest and make some great friends along the way!

Originally Posted by mtechnik
Welcome to Teamspeed! Congrats on your new E90 M3 - AW on black is great combo.

The full Akrapovic system is one heck of a first mod.
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
Welcome to the Team!! Good Looking ride, and great choice on the exhaust!! JC919 is gonna be jealous!
As long as we're gravy in the end . Thanks!

Originally Posted by lbwsandiego
Great exhaust pics; excellent color choice-- love AW.
I've got more coverage coming soon!

Originally Posted by GT Motoring
Great looking car! I almost got the same exact car and color myself. good taste
Any pictures of yours?

My review of the Akra is coming up soon too, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Akrapovic Evolution (Ti) Review:

Purchased:
Again, the guys at PySpeed got me hooked even before the delivery of the vehicle. Eric's been nothing but a pleasure to deal with! I had a huge itch once the break-in period was comfortably over! Will likely purchase from these guys again in the future.

Quality:

At first viewing, I had to convince myself that something 'aftermarket' can actually come this...beautiful. It's truly an experience to see and feel the exhaust even though I've read countless many stories and threads about it. It was a toss up between the Gintani and Meisterschaft's which would have saved a CHUNK of change, but you only live once? And it's just that damn clean looking. I have personally never seen anything better built in an exhaust system.

Sound / Drone:

I've actually heard a Meisterschaft GT in person and while it's awesomely obnoxious, it's quite a bit much in RESONANCE for me... it's literally ear-drum shattering at times, believe me, I like that it's over the top, but this M has to be a bit tame more often than not.

But the Akra is a perfect balance of in-car and out-of-car noise, picks up in a great tone when WOT, and quiets down to civilization (to almost silence) at cruising speeds. I have to mention though, all reviews mentioning "no drone" are in my experience false...there's a good 'drone' alright, but it's in the low MPH area even when trying to be easy... until you pass 2-3KRPM and/or 1st gear, then any drone remaining eases up to easy listening.

Now at WOT or when revving, something's there alright, but in a sort of natural ramp of volume. Something's mean and the V8 sound is obvious, which is perfect. Growl when you want it and never when you don't.

Driving / "The Butt Dyno"
I think the moment the Akra was bolted on I noticed the car just shifting easier into the next gear and really not just due to an eager lead foot! There's a certain 'breathing' difference in smooth power delivery. Its almost expected from the Akra build quality though, but you can most definitely feel it, especially from 3-5K rpms... just more grunt. The car just wants to get up and go . There are enough of us out there now anyway .

Videos:
Yes, I have exhaust videos of right when the system was bolted on and I'll likely host them on VIMEO or YouTube when they've been reduced to something smaller than 170mb each!!

Hope this review helps in exhaust system choice, not saying everyone should go out and Akra themselves, but I think small contributions like these help everyone who's on the fence about their wants/needs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Quick Reply: Project: AW///M3 - Photo Buildup