Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 960/961 - Likely Engines, Dream Engines

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM
WSC
Teamspeed Junior Member
WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!WSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Porsche 960/961 - Likely Engines, Dream Engines

With the Porsche 960/961/Ferrari fighter still a ways out, I'm interested to see what fellow Teamspeeders think will be the likely powertrain it'll use, based on inside sources/gut feelings/etc. But I'm also interested in what you'd ideally like to see in the car, too.

For example: I think the most likely engine for the 960/961 will be the naturally-aspirated 4.6 liter V8 from the 918 Spyder. At 600 horses, it packs just the right amount of wallop for a super sports car; using it also would allow Porsche to amortize some of the costs of the 918 Spyder's engine. The Panamera Turbo S's engine would work, but since that would mean Porsche's $250,000+ super sports car is basically sharing an engine (plus or minus a couple turbos) with their $80,000 SUV, I think they'll aim for something a bit more special.

That said, I'd love to see Porsche whip up a custom flat-eight based on the 911's 9A1 architecture. Going off the basic displacement-per-liter stats of the 911s, a regular 960/961 with a flat-eight based on the 911 Carrera S's engine would make 533 horsepower; a flat-eight based on the new 911 GT3's motor would make 633 horsepower. A naturally-aspirated flat eight would not only give the car solid performance cred in the 458 Italia/MP4-12C class, it would also make the 960/961 unique, IMHO.

Also, while PDK seems pretty much a certainty and all-wheel-drive pretty likely, I'd rather see a seven-speed stick and rear-wheel-drive.

What do you think?

Last edited by WSC; 05-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
I would sell my soul for the na 918 engine but unfortunately at the moment the bean counters and those wishing to preserve the exclusivity of the 918 ( and not upset the buyers of said car ) are pushing for a twin turbo v8 .
Unfortunately this looks the likely engine but its not confirmed . Flat 8 has been ruled out though I'm sorry to say .

Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the 600 hp is in reach.

Last edited by Brobbins016; 05-21-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
This is to be used by posters of 400 and under. Carry on.
I have no idea what this means .

Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Does anybody know if Porsche has publicly acknowledged the existence of this project or if it is still ago?

If so, the 918 engine or a variant of it would probably be a good choice for Porsche. Personally I think a flat 8 would be cool.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
Whatever configuration of a 4.5L- 4.6L engine with 8 cylinders they decide use is ok by me, AS LONG AS it provides a good base for a COMPETITIVE motorsport product that will take on the 458's and other V8 engined competitors in the WEC GTE class.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Carrera
Does anybody know if Porsche has publicly acknowledged the existence of this project or if it is still ago?

If so, the 918 engine or a variant of it would probably be a good choice for Porsche. Personally I think a flat 8 would be cool.
Originally Posted by wtdoom
I would sell my soul for the na 918 engine but unfortunately at the moment the bean counters and those wishing to preserve the exclusivity of the 918 ( and not upset the buyers of said car ) are pushing for a twin turbo v8 .
Unfortunately this looks the likely engine but its not confirmed . Flat 8 has been ruled out though I'm sorry to say .

Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wtdoom
Hi wtdoom,

Hope youre fine...what do you mean by V8 turbo? the V8 from he Spyder or the V8 from a Panamera? - which would be disappointing. The engine would for me nevertheless be acceptable in both versions (option 1 is of course preferred)..but I really hope that they leave out this time all this hybrid crap. I want a C-GT "follow up"..not a "priused C-GT"

Besides, if they would really build that car...I think it would get very close to 918 perf. level..

But anyhow..we still have to wait a bit for more news on the car..

Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
For better value and economies of scale they will use the twin turbo V8 from the Panamera.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
Far too heavy and high (big).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 960/961 - Likely Engines, Dream Engines