Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

Wow, AFM to MAF awesomeness

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, AFM to MAF awesomeness

So the 20 year old AFM decided to call it quits, and apparently you can't even get a new AFM, and BMW wants insane and unreasonable amount of money for a reman'ed AFM.

So my mechanic started digging around, and came up with the Miller AFM to MAF conversion.

I was totally skeptical, and especially after reading their website and the claimed huge power gain.

http://millerperformancecars.com/fil...III%202.5L.pdf

So, I stopped by to pick up the car, and my mechanic couldn't stop talking about how much more responsive and faster the car is. I was like, OK whatever, placebo effect, blah blah.

And then I got in the car and $FN(%T@)*$R%

The car is so incredibly faster that it's not even funny. And the throttle is so responsive that it almost felt DBW.

I guess it makes sense, we are going from a barn door mechanical AFM to all digital instantaneous data stream of MAF. But driving really is believing. I don't doubt the claim at all.

The bonus is that even with AC on, the car is still so much faster, it kicks ass.

And the fluctuating idel problem is completely gone, the car now idles like a modern car, no fuss, just fixed constant idle.

Oh and did I mention it was way cheaper than the reman'ed AFM POS from BMW?

If I ever get a 3.8 Euro E34 M5, I am definitely doing this mod.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool! I'm glad to hear your BMW project is moving along. Got any pics of this oldie?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
AFM is a real limiter on old Bimmers ! I also removed my AFm but instead put an Alpha-N Module and CF Airbox ! The gains were ridiculous ! Almost 24hp from that single mod !
Since you don't have an AFM to restrict your intake choices you can now look for a proper airbox too !

Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Very cool! I'm glad to hear your BMW project is moving along. Got any pics of this oldie?
Not yet, soon.

Still waiting on the rear roller sunshade, but the car is largely done now.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that's incredible... If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge to do the conversion vs. how much a replacement reman'd AFM from BMW would cost?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
Wow, that's incredible... If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge to do the conversion vs. how much a replacement reman'd AFM from BMW would cost?
They charge me I think maybe 1.5 hours for the labor, I forgot. You have to do some PIN matching, intall new DME chip, and I wasn't in the mood to do that.

The rest is plug and play.

See pricing info here:

MAF Systems

Here's the price of a reman'ed AFM, BMW does not sell new ones, only reman'ed one's.

RealOEM.com BMW E30 325i Volume air flow sensor

But cost isn't even an issue really. I mean, I paid 1200 bucks to get a new OEM dash. But the fact that they want almost 700 bucks for a reman'ed AFM is BS, and the MAF conversion works so much better any way, because there are no moving parts now. And the response is incredible, it's like the car got a new engine.