Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Sprint Booster installed on CS with Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
josephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to all
Sprint Booster installed on CS with Sport Chrono

I installed the Manual Version of the Sprint Booster on my 2007 Cayman S (with Sport Chrono and manual 6-speed) and am extremely happy with the results. The most significant improvements for me were realized due to the way it resolved the nagging E-Throttle delay problem (discussed at length here: Planet Porsche Home) and all of the side effects associated with the E-Throttle delay.

Before the Sprint Booster I found first gear starts most often clumsy, second gear starts barely acceptable and third gear starts downright abusive. However with the SB, I'll never stall out in first gear again! Second gear starts (even on a slight up-grade) are quick, easy and pleasant although I'll not regularly make a habit this. Third gear starts on level seemed amazingly smooth and easy (obviously causes unnecessary wear on the clutch but did it to prove this point). The Sprint Booster apparently reduces or eliminates the delay that is programmed into the E-Throttle providing a throttle response akin to a cable controlled throttle...something I've always missed since day one with my CS.

The second benefit of the Sprint Booster, the greater tip-in of the throttle plate, has been discussed at length on the above posts but I would like to quantify my findings with the Sprint Booster installed. The test I performed was to drive along with the Sports Chrono turned "ON" at a steady state RPM (I tried 2,000; 2,500; 3,000, 3,500). Then without changing my foot position on the E-throttle, I turned the Sports Chrono "OFF". My results were rather consistent in that my RPMs would quickly drop 500 RPM then continue to degrade toward idle each and every time I switched off the Sports Chrono.

So one might try to simply conclude that the Sprint Booster is the same thing a Sports Chrono minus 500 RPM but that wouldn't be anywhere near accurate. The Sprint Booster is much more than a Sports Chrono as it definitely reduces or eliminates the E-Throttle delay resulting in a much crisper and responsive throttle; allowing for better throttle modulation for street and track (will be especially valuable if running a little loose with PSM turned "OFF"!). Also, the accuracy of my "RPM match" for my heel-and-toe (I roll my foot to the right) has improved with the faster responding pedal and is much enjoyed.

One more point I'd like to make is that my CS is modified with the under-drive pulley, EVO intake, de-snorked (fully!), Cargraphic headers w/cats, custom Zoomers exhaust, APR flash and the IPD Race Plenum with 82 mm throttle body. It is possible that the improved volumetric efficiency of my engine can utilize the faster than stock "tip-in" rate of the Sprint Booster throttle netting me a greater gain in performance than a totally stock CS would. My overall impression is that my car does accelerate faster, it screams louder and sounds more "raw" and it races through the revs. My best guess is as the throttle plate is opening faster do to the lack of the E-Throttle delay I am hearing the difference in the engine.

But with that said, I would still highly recommend the Sprint Booster if it were for nothing more that the reduction or elimination of the E-Throttle delay and the great improvement in throttle response. With the 30-day money back guarantee offered by GMP you should try it...you'll love it! I spoke to Stephen at 1-888-488-2028 ext. 256. GMP was running a special price of $300 delivered until Feb. 28 (normally $369 plus S+H).

Regards,
Joe

Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond repute
ahhhh cool this article is back!
Thanks for sharing !

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Cobalt987S is an unknown quantity at this point
Joe,
Thanks for bringing back your Sprint Booster post.

Last edited by DJ; 02-24-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
josephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to alljosephsdesimone is a name known to all
You're welcome guys however it was DJ that made it possible so thank you to DJ! Regards, Joe

PS: I've had my Sprint Booster installed for about three weeks now and wouldn't ever want to go without it!