Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Any thoughts on an Ipod integration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Any thoughts on an Ipod integration?

Any thoughts on an Ipod integration for the 997TT?
The Porsche solution was very bad, it was more of an FM modulator solution than an Ipod integrating system.
Dension for some reason did not work well with my car…

Has anyone used the DICE system ( DICE Store: DICE iPod Car Integration kit for Porsche (MOST) ) ?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
torresmd is on a distinguished roadtorresmd is on a distinguished road
I currently use the dension unit in my 996tt but it is limited as far as controlling the ipod from the headunit. It works well for me since I just set the ipod to shuffle and leave it alone. It does sound very good though.

Not sure about the dice unit. Seems like the only way to get real ipod control from the headunit is to change the headunit completely.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a pcm based head unit, controlling the iPod is a snap with our Dension unit. I would not touch a Dice unit for the Porsche. Dension is the answer.

Torres, I wonder if you have the menu settings correct if you are having trouble. Have you updated lately?

Email me with questions anytime: eric@bumperplugs.com

Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
gxlex is an unknown quantity at this point
I got NavTv and very happy with it.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
If you have a pcm based head unit, controlling the iPod is a snap with our Dension unit. I would not touch a Dice unit for the Porsche. Dension is the answer.[/email]
The Dension worked well with the Audi… but when it came to the Porsche it just did not cut it. I can use the pcm to more to the next song and to the previous one, but I cannot browse or go to a play list etc.
The dealer contacted Dension and with their tech guys on the phone could not figure it out…

What do you think is going wrong?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds to me like some steps were missed in programming. It is quite functional and can do all that you just described. How long ago was this, and any idea what firmware version you had?

Straight from the Tech Guide we offer:

About content navigation
At multiline applications the Gateway automatically segments long lists into Pages. First and last line in such a list jumps to the previous or next page.

When there is long list of Artist or Albums Gateway browser may insert a virtual item, called ABCSEARCH.

By selecting this, the elements of the list will be sorted in alphabetical groups, so accessing an artist begining with “Z” does not require a scan trough all the artists.

Mark ” >” before a line indicates, that by selecting the item you go one level deeper in the browsing hierarchy.

A line without mark is already a song that can be played back by selecting it.

Scan Playlist, Folder, Artist, Album, Chapter
Selecting Disc 1-3 the Next/Back Track buttons will start playback of the next/previous Playlist or Folder, Artist, and Album respectively. Please refer to the Summary table on page 4.

This way you can scan the music content, even if you do not have a text capable radio.

Ones you find the music you wish, press FF to confirm the selection. Press REW to exit the SCAN mode.

ArtistPlay & AlbumPlay
When selecting Disc 1-3 you enter SCAN mode as described above, however you are still hearing the currently playing song. Pressing FF starts playback from the first song of the Folder, Artist or Album.

This is a great feature if you listen to large music collections randomly and you want to hear the whole album the currently played song or all the songs of the current artist.

At the end of Artist- or AlbumPlay the iPod will stop, and USB player will continue the original playback program. This feature is not available in iPod UI mode.

For example you are listening to the Beatles song “Yesterday”, which is on the album “Help”.

By selecting Disc2 (Artist):
Next: will play e.g. Cranberries (next artist following the Beatles)
Back: will play e.g. Abba (the artist before the Beatles)
FF: will start to play all Beatles songs
By selecting Disc3 (Album):
Next: will play e.g. “Irish Jigs& Reels” By Various Artists (next album to “Help!” )
Back: will play e.g. “Goodbye” by Cream (previous album to “Help” )
FF: will start to play the whole album “Help” from the beginning.

This is just a quick summary of some stuff I sent a customer recently.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
MJS
Teamspeed Member
MJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud of
Eric, any thoughts on a denison group buy?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Nav TV here too, it works pretty well most of the time.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Happy to try to put together a group buy for Dension and/or Tooki.

First, understand that Dension pricing went up in June, so it's a tighter margin now due to the falling (at the time) dollar.

Second, we need enough folks 'in' on the deal to make it work, so I can cut these things as deep as possible.

So.....

If you want in on this deal, and I won't know the full 'deal' until I have a count, just email me that you want:

Dension Gateway 500
Dension Gateway 500 and BTA1500 Bluetooth Adapter
Tooki Bluetooth Unit
Dension Gateway 500 and Tooki Bluetooth

Both bluetooth products require PCM with the telephone buttons on the face. I will do my best to get this altogether, but we probably need to run this for a few weeks, so talk it up with your Porsche buds, and just have everyone email me directly, mentioned TS group buy and the product(s) interested in.

We'll make it happen.

Thanks!

eric@bumperplugs.com

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
But even the Dension site ( Dension - Compatibility ) does not list the 2008 997 as a car their product is compatible with.

They recommend “trying” the ice link one system ( Products ) but that is an FM modulator (right?) and not what I am looking for from in an Ipod integration arrangement

I am not anti-Dension I am just trying to find a product that works… anyone out there with a Ipod integrated to their 2008 997 PCM?

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on an Ipod integration?