Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Ok guys, talk me off the ledge on this one..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
Ok guys, talk me off the ledge on this one..

Or talk me into jumping.

So, as you guys know I've been thinking about getting a Patek.

I've been looking long and hard at the Pateks, and I'm debating between a 5726 and a 5712, but I've come to realize that the Patek I really want is a more classic type, with more complications. In my search, I've realized that the 5159R is the ONE for me. Unfortunately, at 100k, it's more than I want to spend right now.

So looking at the Nautilus line, for me it's charm is that it's not a traditional round case, and is a bit unique. So in my search for alternatives, my watch guy told me about an Audemars Piguet piece that might interest me. I have always liked looking at the ROO line, but never looked right on my wrist, and for my normal dress.

He told me it's only been available for the past month, and started telling me about some award it won, blablabla. Fast forward to yesterday, he showed me a picture of it, and told me that the AP Boutique in NY had a few. So today I went to NY to check it out.

Here's a quick youtube video on the movement:

Audemars Piguet Millenary 4101 - YouTube

It's the millenary 4101. So I tried it on today, and am fascinated by it. The movement is facing you, which is interesting.

So, the question is... this or Nautilus... (promise it will be the last post on my latest watch purchase, sorry to spam the forum, but you guys are a good bunch when it comes to watch taste.)

It comes in steel and RG, in this case I'm looking for a RG variant, as I have too many steel/WG black face pieces. The Steel is priced at 24, while the RG is 39.8.

Some live shots while trying it on today. I can't figure out if I love it or am just intrigued by it more than anything else. I'm a little bit tired of the very clean elegant watch look also, which I think is affecting my thinking.

The two finishes side by side.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Eddie; 12-13-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
You'll do your brains in on that piece come time to sell. It's also hideous.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
The Nautilus is a sportier watch IMO. The AP looks seriously cool and different, with a very unique movement backing it up. I'm a fan.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
It's interesting, but a little too "Jules Verne" for me.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
This. Damn that's ugly.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Ugly SOB. Go with the Patek.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Not a fan. You should check out this 5059, it may work with your wrist size. I agree, when you think patek, it's grand complications, such as perpetual calendars +\- chrono that comes to mind.

http://www.europeanwatch.com/15312.htm

Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
See, Josh, if someone posted this up 6 months ago, I would've posted exactly what you did.

But, like you mentioned about watch collections, tastes change. I never understood some people liking certain watches, but I'm starting to get it. I'm so bored of my Daytona, my IWCs, for a period of 4-5 years I loved them, but they just get old, and the mind starts to wander.

And resale? Yeah, resale sucks on a majority of the watches out there, except for the pieces that "hold their value" like daytonas, bps, certain other pieces, but those pieces are tired too. Aside from the new IWC I am selling, I'm not selling any of my watches going forward, I'm going to use them all with reckless abandon, then at a certain point, get them all refinished, and pass them on to the next generation.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Patek.

The AP is a watch that looks cool now, but you will regret buying in a year.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
New OG
samuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond repute
I honestly like that AP, but I think the novelty might wear off quickly and you'll be looking for another watch before long. It's an interesting piece however, I'm sure it would get noticed a lot (which is a good or bad thing depending on your personality).

Quick Reply: Ok guys, talk me off the ledge on this one..