Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

What's on your wrist today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
In house movement is more expensive and showcases the technical ability of the brand. That being said, I think the 60 minute chrono for the new in house movement is worthless as it is impossible to read. As for me, the iwc 79320 is a base valjoux 7750 made to iwc specification, using many upgraded components. The watch runs great, and I love the day/date indicators.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Out and about in the iwc. This is the sole reason my thoughts of getting a speedmaster pro are getting less and less. everytime I put a watch on I think about which I would grab if I had it, and I would much rather the pilot. I do want to try a bracelet watch though... Hmmm

Attachment 103298
I would grab the IWC all day.

Why not try a bracelet for the IWC? There are tons of options out there. I know I am an OEM stickler, but I think a bracelet would pair rather nicely with this watch.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Out and about in the iwc. This is the sole reason my thoughts of getting a speedmaster pro are getting less and less. everytime I put a watch on I think about which I would grab if I had it, and I would much rather the pilot. I do want to try a bracelet watch though... Hmmm

Attachment 103298
Bias aside, IMO, a Speedmaster is great for everything above water. Dress, Casual, Sport. The IWC is a little too sporty to cover the dress watch category. That being said, your JLC covers that beautifully, so it's a moot point.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Boardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond reputeBoardman has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin, if you are going to get one with a bracelet, the speedy has one of the most comfortable ever. The two button clasp is excellent too. I keep selling my speedies for some reason...and it's the bracelets I miss the most. Another will come at some point. ...

Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of support for the smp on here, and I can see why. I went to the AD and tried one on, and I really did like it. My only problem is my IWC. I like the layout better and have sentimental attachment to it. Thus I don't see the smp it in my near future. I do want to see how I feel about wearing a dive watch, so I think I will sell my LTM38 and get a LT 300m 40mm. If I find that I wear it a lot then maybe I'd consider adding a proper dive watch, if not I could wear it on rubber or flip it.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
Looking at the Speedmaster Pro 3573.50 (sapphire sandwich) vs IWC Pilot Chrono...and they're priced similarly. Does the second-hand market reflect this? I love the look of the IWC, nice casual-looking chrono with an awesome movement, while the Omega has the history. Both beautiful watches, really. You can dress the Omega up though, while I would think that's a little harder with the IWC. But I guess that's why you bought your JLC like Craigger said.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Hehe you know my answer vltsai I'm a great fan of IWC but the Pilot Chrono does absolutely nothing for me sadly. The only chronograph you might want to consider choosing over a Speedy Pro is a Daytona. But there's a reason why it's also called the Gaytona.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
Haha! For what it's worth I kind of like the Daytona...that being said there's only 1 that I would ever really want to own:

Let's be real here, though, that's just not happening. At least not now.

I like IWC's double chronographs as well but that's a whole new ball game, really. Really though I could be very happy with either the Speedmaser or the IWC chrono, I'd just have to try them on to decide which. And then if they both fit superbly, I'm boned.

Last edited by vltsai; 05-10-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vltsai
Really though I could be very happy with either the Speedmaser or the IWC chrono, I'd just have to try them on to decide which. And then if they both fit superbly, I'm boned.
Before you chose, do me a favour and consider both watches' variability for different occasions. Take a look at this thread Straps for the Speedmaster Professional

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
So the smp and pilot are very similar. The cool things about the smp are that I like the manual wind and the heritage, it also has a nice bracelet (never tried the pilot in bracelet). The sapphire sandwich has a lemania base movement and pilot chrono has a valjoux base, if you go up to the new automatic smp they have in house co-axial movement iirc. To get iwc with an in house you would need to go for the new spitfire (which I've heard is selling ~$10k). With the pilot I love the day/date, and the dial looks perfect for a pilot series watch. As far as price, I think the iwc route will cost a little more because the msrp on mine was $5100 (old style), and I know the new 2012 pilot will be more (haven't seen price yet), whereas the sapphire sandwich is msrp $5500 and iwc has gotten really stingy on discounts.

Quick Reply: What's on your wrist today?