Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

New to shooting-- looking to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all
New to shooting-- looking to purchase

Im looking to buy a pistol and a rifle -- something I can shoot at the range for fun.

I don't want to have to upgrade these items later- so I'd rather buy top quality now.

What do u guys suggest?

I've heard a lot about AR this or that - bit to be honest Im not sure what that means.

Thx

Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
Go to the range and rent a few different pistols. Shoot them and pick whatever feels comfortable.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura about
Kimber CDPII for the pistol and If your looking for a bolt action rifle a howa m1500 in whatever caliber you prefer. Probally the best bang for the buck rifle on the market.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Whoa, if you're that new and don't exactly understand what an AR means then slow down. I do not advise following random recommendations when you have no clue what they mean. Not trying to insult by any means, I'm just saying you need to know what you want specifically. I would go talk to your local gun shop and explain your situation and goals. They will be way more help than anyone on here.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
I second the advice above.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Member
-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all
i appreciate the advice, buy can you guys throw a few ideas out there, so i can ask my local gun shop what to look at?

thx

Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
EZ,
The boys are giving you the best advice. It's like going to the mustang ranch. You have a ton of choices. Start by window shopping at your local gun stores and ask questions. In the meantime what exactly do you want them for? Most guys buy a rifle to go hunting. If so then I can give you more specific advice.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
how far do you want to shoot?

a 380 has fairly expensive ammo and is little.

a 9mm is what it is. nothing wrong with that.

a 45 is not meant to be carried around in your pocket.

every collection needs a basic AR, so just buy one and you'll change your mind/style and have fun doing it down the road...

go buy a $1000 pistol, a $1000 revolver and a $1500 bolt action gun and wait on the scope. simple. done.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
.45 caliber for sure, dont be talked into 9 or 40. Glock or HK get a sizeable gun as a range gun not a compact.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
What's wrong with those calibers Marc?

Quick Reply: New to shooting-- looking to purchase