Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Fiber Optic Sight Review for the Mosin Nagant

Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mechamegalodon is an unknown quantity at this point
Fiber Optic Sight Review for the Mosin Nagant

This is an extensive review on my newly purchased fiber optic sight for my Mosin Nagant rifle.
(this is going to be long)

Intro/history: If you know about the Mosin than just skip this part. Otherwise the Mosin Nagant was the standard infantry rifle for the Russian/Soviet army from just before WWI to a little past WWII. Not to bore you with a history lesson but it is cool to know that the Russians produces over 13 million of the things in the years since its first production in 1891. the design was changed a few times throughout the year and was even produced by the United States until its most popular model designed in 1930 the m91/30. Because of they are so abundant you can pick them up relatively cheap (about $90-$150) but there is a strange lack of accessories (despite the huge bayonet it comes with )

The Product:Just after buying my rifle I began looking around for some "enhancements" for my gun that did not include mounting a scope. I came across this awesome little front sight modification that added a glowing fiber optic to the front. These sights are actually made from the original front sights for about $37 by this guy Smith-Sights for the Mosin-Nagant. He can even modify your sight for less.

Here's some specs on the sight

The dimensions are the same as the normal sight (but if you care)

Base width: 0.45 in.
Base length: 0.43in.

Hood Width: 0.66in.

Total height: 0.86in.

metal post width: 0.01in diameter
fiber optic width: 0.052in diameter

First Impressions:
After waiting a painful week for my sight to arrive, it finally came and I couldn't have torn it out of the package faster. I will tell you despite my excitement it is not as pretty as a Trijicon or anything but cool nonetheless. I found it especially interesting because I was keeping to the true Mosin look.

The really cool feature that this guy's sights come with is the set screw on the back of the sight(facing the shooter) that allows you to raise and lower the sight post to adjust for elevation and fix the Mosin's problem with shooting high. Also the fiber optic post is thinner than the original so it is more accurate.

While the images don't exactly show the true glow of the sight, I can tell you that it is a dramatic increase in visibility from the standard black post. The split in the back allows light to travel in from the front and glow at the top giving you a great point of aim.

I not taken the sight to the range (yet I will this friday) and so I can not talk about the performance in the field, but I will add more then.

Thanks for reading! I really recommend this product and it comes in both red and green.

Under are some pictures of the sight

Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
That is a nice writeup! Congrats on a nice, simple, and very useful modification!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Josh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enough
Hello,

How did you like it at the range?

Found this via my Google alerts, and since I'm a gearhead of olde, figure I might as well sign up and look around!

Regards,

Josh

Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
I absolutely love it at the range, It is very easy to see and really adds an edge to iron sight shooting. The only problem i had was making small adjustments to the sight as there is no simple way of moving it up or down. I just have one question, If I am having to aim 6 in low should i move the sight up or down?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to have you here Josh. Glad you found our little corner of the Internet.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Josh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enoughJosh Smith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mechamegalodon
I absolutely love it at the range, It is very easy to see and really adds an edge to iron sight shooting. The only problem i had was making small adjustments to the sight as there is no simple way of moving it up or down. I just have one question, If I am having to aim 6 in low should i move the sight up or down?
Hello,

If you wish to lower the point of aim, you raise the front sight. It's the opposite of the rear sight.

Regards,

Josh

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by Barrister
Nice to have you here Josh. Glad you found our little corner of the Internet.
Thanks! Gotta add a Chevy Bowtie to the sig line, I think...

Josh

Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh Smith
Hello,

How did you like it at the range?

Found this via my Google alerts, and since I'm a gearhead of olde, figure I might as well sign up and look around!

Regards,

Josh
Welcome! Im sure youll find many reasons to stick around.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
thanks