Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   The Team Speed Shooting Range (https://teamspeed.com/forums/team-speed-shooting-range/)
-   -   Caught in flash mob! (https://teamspeed.com/forums/team-speed-shooting-range/62711-caught-flash-mob.html)

ajindfw 08-10-2011 08:31 PM

For fun talk, short-barrel converted Saiga 12 with a few drum mags, Glock 21 with lots of Corbon 165gr .45 ACP hollow-points, my AR carbine with 62gr Lake City brass, steel piercing rounds.

For reality, Choke openly nailed it. It's unlikely we'll see many of these things arising in North Dallas. I also would be equally concerned if I was of any race, not just white, and didn't appear to "fit in" with the mob that formed; our black, latino and asian brothers need to watch their six as well. Given the tensions we've noted in general, the changes I've made are that, like Choke, I used to seldom carry but now I always do- I can only toss people one at a time. Also, instead of carrying one extra magazine, I carry enough extra magazines to have a minimum of 35-40 rounds on me. If I'm going into a suspect area, my AR carbine is with me in the car, not the trunk.

One of the anesthesiologists at one of my hospitals was washing his BMW in his driveway (driveway in back of house in alley) when someone came onto his property to attack and rob him. The doc was totally off-guard, and the guy's a bit of an herbivore to begin with, so he got some broken ribs. He hollered enough to make the guy flee, but the guy left a pistol behind. Needless to say, the doc had a rude awakening; I hope he gets pissed and gets tough. Message- stay big, stay strong, stay alert, stay prepared and when the scumbags come, be f***ing merciless.

cerberus 08-10-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ajindfw (Post 1045590)
For fun talk, short-barrel converted Saiga 12 with a few drum mags, Glock 21 with lots of Corbon 165gr .45 ACP hollow-points, my AR carbine with 62gr Lake City brass, steel piercing rounds.

For reality, Choke openly nailed it. It's unlikely we'll see many of these things arising in North Dallas. I also would be equally concerned if I was of any race, not just white, and didn't appear to "fit in" with the mob that formed; our black, latino and asian brothers need to watch their six as well. Given the tensions we've noted in general, the changes I've made are that, like Choke, I used to seldom carry but now I always do- I can only toss people one at a time. Also, instead of carrying one extra magazine, I carry enough extra magazines to have a minimum of 35-40 rounds on me. If I'm going into a suspect area, my AR carbine is with me in the car, not the trunk.

One of the anesthesiologists at one of my hospitals was washing his BMW in his driveway (driveway in back of house in alley) when someone came onto his property to attack and rob him. The doc was totally off-guard, and the guy's a bit of an herbivore to begin with, so he got some broken ribs. He hollered enough to make the guy flee, but the guy left a pistol behind. Needless to say, the doc had a rude awakening; I hope he gets pissed and gets tough. Message- stay big, stay strong, stay alert, stay prepared and when the scumbags come, be f***ing merciless.

right on

SoCal 08-10-2011 10:53 PM

Sounds like I need to come down there and train your buddy up... :)

Brett B 08-11-2011 09:42 AM

With these flash mobs, I think there is finally a good use for an AR-15 pistol or Sig 556 pistol. In Ohio our CCW permit is actually a CHL (Concealed Handgun License). You can't carry a loaded rifle, but you could strap one of these under your drivers seat or keep it in a backpack. 100% legal with a 30 round mag and no SBR paperwork required. :cool: Of course the first thing you should do is run like hell to get out of that situation, but if you can't...

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/.../05/sig556.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5...36thumb8ps.jpg

b9ev 08-11-2011 11:44 AM

If I am out and about I always have my Ed Brown loaded with DoubleTap 230grain hollowpoints rated at 1050 fps, one extra mag on me to fight my way back to the vehicle where there is usually more ammo. For up close and personal, I have a Benchmade folder.

When I make it home, the safe gets opened up and I get armed with a nice array of weapons. Some are designed to "reach out and touch" others for up close.

b9ev 08-11-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ajindfw (Post 1045590)

How do you usually carry those extra magazines? I find it uncomfortable to carry more than 2 spare mags.

ajindfw 08-11-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by b9ev (Post 1046022)
How do you usually carry those extra magazines? I find it uncomfortable to carry more than 2 spare mags.

It's not so bad- if I'm carrying my G21, it's two spare mags. For the G17 it's only one, but since the 9mm is light in the pocket, I carry two anyway. For the G30 or the Sig 226, it's only two spares as well. For the Kimber, it's 4, which isn't as bad as you'd think.

Most of the shorts I wear are cargo-type shorts and have extra pockets, and when it cools down I'll keep one magazine usually in a jacket or keep two in a magazine pouch.

Bottom line is that the threats have changed. In the past, if you ran into trouble, it was one or two BGs and you probably wouldn't need to discharge your weapon more than a few times. Here in TX, most of the CHL holders' justified shootings have been one or two discharges. However, the prospect of more than a dozen enraged, possibly impaired attackers calls for more preparation.

ajindfw 08-11-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal (Post 1045688)
Sounds like I need to come down there and train your buddy up... :)

After his ribs heal, I'll pull his shorts down to confirm that he has a set of nuts. Once confirmed, I'm going to urge him to learn some self-defense and some tactical skill. He might be receptive to being a bit more testosterone-oriented, because he feels really humiliated, emasculated and pissed over this whole thing.

The good news is that he's in decent shape; he's a runner and does a lot of bike work and is starting to get into triathlons. The biggest thing he needs to train is his mind.

Choke has taught tactical courses before, and IIRC you teach current soldiers how to thrive in the sandbox. If this shit stateside continues, there will be a hell of a market in the civilian world for services like that which you can offer. There are already a fair number of Americans who go to Israel to train CQB/hands-on/shooting. The tactical shooting courses I've taken were some of my best experiences and one more affirmation that I regret never having served in the military. You could probably have a very good business if you did offer such training.

Simba 08-11-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ajindfw (Post 1046122)
You could probably have a very good business if you did offer such training.

I'm in if blowing shit up is involved. :HappyDance:

b9ev 08-11-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ajindfw (Post 1046114)
It's not so bad- if I'm carrying my G21, it's two spare mags. For the G17 it's only one, but since the 9mm is light in the pocket, I carry two anyway. For the G30 or the Sig 226, it's only two spares as well. For the Kimber, it's 4, which isn't as bad as you'd think.

Most of the shorts I wear are cargo-type shorts and have extra pockets, and when it cools down I'll keep one magazine usually in a jacket or keep two in a magazine pouch.

Bottom line is that the threats have changed. In the past, if you ran into trouble, it was one or two BGs and you probably wouldn't need to discharge your weapon more than a few times. Here in TX, most of the CHL holders' justified shootings have been one or two discharges. However, the prospect of more than a dozen enraged, possibly impaired attackers calls for more preparation.

That is very true. I try to keep my situational awareness up enough where I hope to avoid larger crowds of attackers. If I know I will be in bad areas of town I will often keep a backup pistol and more magazines in the vehicle or even the PSD.