Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

What caliber do you prefer when you carry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer .45 but carry 9mm, .40, .45. The best is the one you have when you need it.

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
I DESPISE caliber discussions. They're inane. I try to avoid them.

First and foremost, get to know your damn weapon! I don't care what caliber you carry, if you cannot proficiently use the weapon, caliber doesn't mean a damn thing.

You need to be able to fire the weapon proficiently from shooting positions that you do not use at the range. 95% of the people with massive gun collections are range whores who would look like total tactical choad monkey's if I took them outside to shoot in a "practical" environment.

All of a sudden, your heart is pounding through your chest, your weapon is holstered, you're not able to get in a weaver or isosceles firing stance and take a fundamentally solid grip because you've yet to retrieve your weapon. At this point, your caliber means nothing. You better be able to put that round where you need it to be.

Another example...
choose your caliber.
I'll give you 20 feet. we stand face to face 20 feet apart, you have a weapon, I do not. I will take your weapon, you will never get it out of your holster. Your caliber doesn't matter. This is a classic drill, and the outcome rarely disappoints to prove my point.

The OVERWHELMING majority of people who own guns do not practice with their firearms in a practical sense. Most people practice on a range, not facing any practical reality's.

Get as caliber geeked out as you like. Get as gear geeked out as you like. Talk about grips, stances, ballistics all you like, if you don't know your weapon, and you cannot use it, you don't know jack.

Even guys who have training have to constantly stay on top of their training! Learn to shoot off hand, learn what happens when some idiot is close enough to grab your weapon and squeeze the slide while you fire. It'll stove pipe, you need to be able to make space, and re-charge your weapon. Get your heart rate up, and still be able to acquire a proper site picture and trigger squeeze.

Get off the caliber arguments. Its one thing to have a personal preference, but not worth the time arguing ballistics.

Last edited by chokeu2; 01-03-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Good point... I bet I'd take out a LOT of armchair experts armed only with a .22 Ruger pistol. Plenty of folks get killed by .22LR, .25, etc. SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT

Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
choke, well said. I'm a big fan of taking tactical classes whenever possible.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
shakazulu12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I carry all three of the major calibers. I really don't have a preference. Its likely going to take more than one shot to really drop someone anyway, so I focus on what I can shoot very quickly, and very accurately. Whether is a Kimber Ultra, or an HK USP 45. Or anything in between.

My personal favorite round is the 0.40 followed by the FN 5.7. I would least like to be shot by a .45 though.