Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Shelby Supercars changing their name.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Garrison
Agreed, I never really knew much about scc and I assumed that there was some relation to Carol Shelby but I was mistaken .

Sent from my DROIDX using Teamspeed
I knew Carol wasn't involved, but I figured he had at least talked and approved of it. Never really had a taste for the SSC cars.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM
sox
Teamspeed Junior Member
sox is an unknown quantity at this point
If you read the article, Carroll did in fact sue SSC, and they settled. I don't understand how one could make a decent legal case against somebody named Shelby using their own name in the name of their company, even considering the implications of the Shelby name in the automotive world.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RDuke
I bet that @sshat Carol is suing them. He has a passion for suing aftermarket companies.
I wouldn't hate him for it. Even as an enthusiast, that name caused alot of confusion for me. I had assumed they were under carol for a couple years.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RDuke
I bet that @sshat Carol is suing them. He has a passion for suing aftermarket companies.
Shelby is far from an asshat. He stepped up to and told the biggest as$hole in the car industry Enzo Ferrari to take a flying leap in the 60's when he was asked to race. He then turned around and created a car to beat Enzo's GT cars with just a idea and a big engine. While I dislike Ford that era of Ford and Shelby was an awesome step foe American cars and I would love to own some of his original stuff. History and quit beautiful they are. I applaud this.

His name without question has earned respect alone. Everyone in the world that knows cars understands why this name is meaningful.

Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Whether my name was Shelby or not I wouldn't have called my company Shelby anything. It was stupid to try and do that to begin with.
this.
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I wouldn't hate him for it. Even as an enthusiast, that name caused alot of confusion for me. I had assumed they were under carol for a couple years.
Most likely the main reason they named it this way.
Name recognition works.
If my last name was Kennedy I'd bet I could be a Senator in less than 5 years just buying some signs.

I don't fault SSC for going with the name as long as the could. Shelby name got them noticed. Fastest car got them recognized more and if you notice you didn't hear much about anything but SSC for the last few years.

They had no chance in court against That name in my book but it's got their name out there and now SSC needs to do what they intend to do and get that speed record back to continue their car company.

I don't think this loss of name hurts them at all now.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Kevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura about
This may sound bad, but Carroll Shelby needs to just pass away already. He keeps being a dick.

Originally Posted by h20skier
Shelby is far from an asshat. He stepped up to and told the biggest as$hole in the car industry Enzo Ferrari to take a flying leap in the 60's when he was asked to race. He then turned around and created a car to beat Enzo's GT cars with just a idea and a big engine.
Shelby is an asshat NOW. He did some cool stuff in the 60's, but he must have gotten a HUGE ego because he has become a total asshat. He has taken every chance to sue anyone. A couple examples: 1) he sued the OFFICIAL Shelby fan club and 2) he sued Factory Five AFTER he gave them the rights to produce a Cobra.

This is just one more to add to the list of companies he has sued because he is an asshat. To sue Jerod Shelby for using his own name in a car company is pretty lame.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Kevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura about
About the Shelby name confusion, how can you get it confused? They have ALWAYS referred to themselves as SSC. The only times it was mentioned as Shelby Supercars is in articles when they CLEARLY said there was no affiliation.
But, they could have made a better choice. Although the Shelby name probably got them more recognition.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevin358
This may sound bad, but Carroll Shelby needs to just pass away already. He keeps being a dick.

Shelby is an asshat NOW. He did some cool stuff in the 60's, but he must have gotten a HUGE ego because he has become a total asshat. He has taken every chance to sue anyone. A couple examples: 1) he sued the OFFICIAL Shelby fan club and 2) he sued Factory Five AFTER he gave them the rights to produce a Cobra.

This is just one more to add to the list of companies he has sued because he is an asshat. To sue Jerod Shelby for using his own name in a car company is pretty lame.
Try to market something with a Ferrari branded name right now. You think Shelby has pride in a name. You'll be shut down in hours. Ferrari sued the Ferrari club of America.

It's his name. It's their name.

Unfortunate or not for SSC Shelby's name has been on race cars for 50 years.

He's earned the right and his name brands are copyright correct?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevin358

You're right....that does sound bad.