Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

CLS 63 AMG or F10 M5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
you don't have to change the CD with the engine sound on it every 5K miles.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Venom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these partsVenom08 is infamous around these parts
CLS63, but obviously I'm biased. The M5 doesn't sound or look nearly as good as the AMG but it's a better track car. The CLS is amazing as a DD and the interior is better than the 5er. Did I mention the exhaust note of the Merc and how fast it is? Just get the CLS, lol.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Venom08
CLS63, but obviously I'm biased. The M5 doesn't sound or look nearly as good as the AMG but it's a better track car. The CLS is amazing as a DD and the interior is better than the 5er. Did I mention the exhaust note of the Merc and how fast it is? Just get the CLS, lol.
People are tracking heavy sedans?

I would get the new E63 with the AMG package, they bring up the HP to 550. That engine is going to be very easy to mod as well if that isn't enough for you. Benz has definiately stepped up their game in recent years especially in the looks department.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
benett0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Venom08
Mate,you can always remove the stock exhaust and fit a custom one on the M5.Although I am a fan of Mercedes and their V8 engine,I'd rather get the M5.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ramius
People are tracking heavy sedans?
yes!

best example - the Ring taxi

Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Jetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond repute
M5 hands down as well. So much tech in such a nice package. Look at the engine specifically, the orientation of the turbos, the interconnection of the exhaust system to deliver a more even and less pulse-on delivery to the turbines, and so much more.

However, I'm still keeping my raw as hell E39 M5 over the new-fangled stuff

Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
cream168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by stuka
This guy said it pretty well in post 2.

C63 MCT comparison with M3 DCT - MBWorld.org Forums

Essentially, MCT is still more autotragic than traditional clutch type.

A well implemented DCT can deliver pretty close manual driving experience.

But since the M5 comes to the U.S. with something the Europeans do not get, ie, a clutch pedal, if it were me I would get it. Actually, when the CTSV wagon lease is up, I will probably seriously look into doing ED on the M5. Driving down the autobahn in a U.S. spec M5 with real clutch pedal sounds pretty good.
Thanks for that, explained lots. Now if only MB would just put that DCT into all the AMG cars rather than just the SLS then that would be money!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
As much as I love an old fashioned manual tranny with real clutch pedal, I am also open minded to which car is best with which tranny. I would not get a 911 turbo S with a manual even if it was available nor would I the M5 or the cls63 with it. In a GT2 or 3 I would only get it with a manual, since it would take away from the amazing driving experience of it. Or the 458 Italia, is best with its DCT and would be no where as great with a manual. So for me some sport cars improve the driving experience with a manual and some do not.
I hated the smg in the previous m5 and m6 so was test driving the m5 with a regular manual, and after an hour test drive I hated the manual in that car even more than the smg. It was built to work with the smg tranny and thus did not work well at all with the manual. I expect that the new m5 will not do very well with the manual but will amaze with the DCT. They are only making the manual for us americans because we are their biggest customer base and they are trying to put up with our crazy demands.
Thats my $.02