Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Supercars (https://teamspeed.com/forums/supercars/)
-   -   Supercar for a Tall Customer? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/supercars/22598-supercar-tall-customer.html)

SLC4S 05-05-2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 309360)
I would consider drastic surgery to alter my size if the opportunity to drive a CGT was put in front of me and I could not fit. I'll never forget the day a good friend of mine picked up his newly purchased, mint condition 62 vette convertible, fuelie, red/white, etc. It was absolutely gorgeous as he drove it up to my house. He looked at me and said, you wanna take it for a spin?" With joyous anticipation I walked over to the drivers side door, sat on the seat with my legs still outside the car, looked at that steering wheel in a fixed position way too close to the seat and ......... :(

I did not get to drive it :(

sad story...

stuka 05-05-2009 11:49 AM

It depends on your inseam.

It is not about how tall you are.

I am only 6'2" and I have problems fitting in BMW 3 series with sunroof.

I have the factory GT seats in my GT2, which has no sunroof, and I have only about an inch and a half of headroom.

My inseam is 32."

If you have long legs, you are not going to have problems in say, a 911 with no sunroof. If you have longer torso than normal, expect problems.

Kevin2772 05-05-2009 02:47 PM

at 6'2" I fit in the Elise....although it wasnt fun getting in, any of the benz's, BMW's and such were no problem. The 997 porsches i found comfortable and my bro fits just fine in his 08 C2s at 6'3 250. But dont look at the lambo Diablo. I tried to sit in a 6.0 and while i could fit in, any of the stalks on the steering wheel were useless. The Murci and the Gallardo I fit just fine in.....

brnsrgn 05-05-2009 05:26 PM

NOTSOMINIC
I can remove your pituitary tumor, before you hit 7'

Alzilla 05-06-2009 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by brnsrgn (Post 310789)
NOTSOMINIC

:lol::lol::lol:

eshaun 05-06-2009 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by stuka (Post 310504)
It depends on your inseam.

It is not about how tall you are.

I am only 6'2" and I have problems fitting in BMW 3 series with sunroof.

I have the factory GT seats in my GT2, which has no sunroof, and I have only about an inch and a half of headroom.

My inseam is 32."

If you have long legs, you are not going to have problems in say, a 911 with no sunroof. If you have longer torso than normal, expect problems.

Exactly...im 6'2 and not everyone realizes what #'s are important here. Every sports car I own will need the european recaro CSL, GT3 seats etc in order for me to fit properly in the drivers seat with a helmet on...besides most "drivers" seats available in the US market are crap for thin athletic folks anyways...

no sunroof, oem csl seats and i barely fit :yahoo:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3540/...7d030700fe.jpg

SuperVixen 05-06-2009 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alzilla (Post 309113)
How the heck can he fit in your Elise?! I'm 5'11" and it's a tight fit for me!

It was tough at first, especially in the passenger seat as I had 2 amps behind it and a sub in the footwell. His knees were all the way up to his cheeks. I had to have the amps rewired into the trunk. Was a PITA for my audio guy, took him 6 hours, but it's better now. Those extra few inches make a huge difference. It's much easier for him to drive. His torso is shorter than his legs. He's lucky he's skinny too, or maybe that's me that's lucky, lol.

stuka 05-06-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by eshaun (Post 311200)
Exactly...im 6'2 and not everyone realizes what #'s are important here. Every sports car I own will need the european recaro CSL, GT3 seats etc in order for me to fit properly in the drivers seat with a helmet on...besides most "drivers" seats available in the US market are crap for thin athletic folks anyways...

no sunroof, oem csl seats and i barely fit :yahoo:

Nice!

My 02 E46 M3 M3 was a stripper because I was tracking it, and because of my inseam.

I ordered manual seats (a tad bit lower than power seats), no sunroof, and I think I had about half an inch of clearance with my helmet on.

The worst is the E46 M3 with power seats and sunroof. My hair rubs against the headliner on street driving for crying out loud. Good thing I found out on the test drive and ticked no sunroof.

I miss my M3, too bad it got totalled by Savage BMW. And finding a nice stripper M3 with SMG and no sunroof is basically impossible.

How much are those CSL seats? And have you thought about the new BMW performance seats that are like the CSL seats but can fold forward for rear area access?

NotSoMiniC 05-06-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by brnsrgn (Post 310789)
NOTSOMINIC

Nah i kinda like it:lol:

eshaun 05-07-2009 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by stuka (Post 311658)
Nice!

My 02 E46 M3 M3 was a stripper because I was tracking it, and because of my inseam.

I ordered manual seats (a tad bit lower than power seats), no sunroof, and I think I had about half an inch of clearance with my helmet on.

The worst is the E46 M3 with power seats and sunroof. My hair rubs against the headliner on street driving for crying out loud. Good thing I found out on the test drive and ticked no sunroof.

I miss my M3, too bad it got totalled by Savage BMW. And finding a nice stripper M3 with SMG and no sunroof is basically impossible.

How much are those CSL seats? And have you thought about the new BMW performance seats that are like the CSL seats but can fold forward for rear area access?

Same here on the manual seats, definitely a must. M3's with no sunroof were next to impossible to come by so I just went with one with the lightest options spec I could find at the time from an enthusiast. Had started out to find competition pkg car too, but eventually decided I'd mod it beyond the pathetic US market zcp pkg options anyways. As it turned out the one I ended up with was originally a euro delivery car :)

Also see my CSL v performance seat comparo thread here.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/m/19655...omparison.html

For me the csl seats are actually a better fit since they're more of a hyrid of the pole position/spg, not a recover of an existing seat in the recaro lineup like the one currently offered by bmw performance. That being said, cost is ludicrous for both, however great deals do come up occasionally on oem csl parts. You cant purchase them in markets where the CSL was never sold so you have to wait around for a csl owner to be willing to sell them off, or some european vendors have managed order them on behalf of their csl owning clientele.

Market price for a single oem csl seat+oem tilt/slide bracket is ~2k in the US. Currently there's an entire oem csl interior on german ebay in the neighborhood of 9k lol...I wouldnt pay nearly that for either, but some ppl do.

Currently my setup involves a UK drivers seat attached with conventional recaro brackets (since the seat arrived without the oem tilt/slide bracket). Not much I could do since the brackets are as rare as the seat so I figured out a way to make it safely work with the advice and help of the 2 big recaro guys on the west coast speedware in WA and griffin motorsports in the East Bay. Shortly, I'll have updated pics of the 2nd seat I acquired which is a german drivers seat which arrived with the oem bracket and all necesssary hardware. I'll install it in the next few days and may or may not put my existing seat on the passenger side.

Regarding the oem tilt functionally...right now I still have my oem passenger seat in place so the back seats are still plenty accessible, though I usually prefer to not have ppl in back seats anyways. Personally its not important whether one seat tilts or not and from the onset never really cared about having matching front csl seats, all my mods are driver oriented.