Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Sports (https://teamspeed.com/forums/sports/)
-   -   The OFFICIAL ask for poker advice thread (https://teamspeed.com/forums/sports/616-official-ask-poker-advice-thread.html)

ashokn225 01-29-2008 01:59 AM

The OFFICIAL ask for poker advice thread

Post any hands here that you may be unsure of, regarding how you played it, and hopefully myself or Scott or anyone else can chime in and give some advice. This has worked out on 2+2, and if there's any players here, it may work here too.

Scott in Houston 01-29-2008 11:28 AM

Key is to say whether it's cash game or tourny. This has potential for fun discussiong.

I love JJ in a cash game... hate it in a tourny. I don't usually know how to play it well in a tournament. It depends a lot on position and opponent, but man... that hand just smokes me.

Love AK in a tournament, hate in a cash game. It's the dead opposite.

Anyway. I hope we can have some good discussions.

MexicoBlue 01-29-2008 11:32 AM

Now Scott:

Here's a question that I'm sure you are faced with often, but I don't know what I am supposed to do. If I am in a high-stakes cash game, no lookie, and the dealer flops A-K-Q, and the guy next to me goes all in for 4x the current pot, but he looks nervous, and the guy next to him is wearing a green shirt which he "claims" is his lucky color, do I call?

Also, it is a Tuesday, and the moon is in aquarius . . .

Craigger 01-29-2008 11:35 AM

do you hit or stay at 17?

Scott in Houston 01-29-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MexicoBlue (Post 8727)
Now Scott:

Here's a question that I'm sure you are faced with often, but I don't know what I am supposed to do. If I am in a high-stakes cash game, no lookie, and the dealer flops A-K-Q, and the guy next to me goes all in for 4x the current pot, but he looks nervous, and the guy next to him is wearing a green shirt which he "claims" is his lucky color, do I call?

Also, it is a Tuesday, and the moon is in aquarius . . .

In no-lookie, you always call... especially if the guy next to you is wearing his lucky color.

BTW, with your avatar and Thomas' avatar, I get you two confused now unless I make sure to read your name. lol

ashokn225 01-29-2008 12:37 PM

Hah what's no lookie? Playing blind? Or playing with your card on your head?

And Scott, the way I used to play Jacks in a tourny was folding to any reraise, calling any sizable raise, raising a weak preflop bet, and folding to a strong board. Basically, it's shit and you hope to take it down preflop.

MexicoBlue 01-29-2008 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 8757)
BTW, with your avatar and Thomas' avatar, I get you two confused now unless I make sure to read your name. lol

It's kinda freakin' me out too. I keep thinking that the impossible has happened, and Thomas has made a witty comment. But then I realize that it's my post I'm reading . . .

Fortunately I'm the old fat one, so I don't mind the confusion!

peterc4c 02-01-2008 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 8724)
I love JJ in a cash game... hate it in a tourny. I don't usually know how to play it well in a tournament. It depends a lot on position and opponent, but man... that hand just smokes me.

Love AK in a tournament, hate in a cash game. It's the dead opposite.

I love JJ QQ KK. I took someone for $300 last night with QQ.

I raised pre-flop 40. Got rid of all the limpers and one caller(aggressive player).

flop came J, 7, 5. rainbow.
bet 60 and he called no raise( sign he does'nt have KK or AA )

turn another useless card.
I checked immediately. He bets $100. I thought about it for a minute and pretended it's a hard call. Looked at his stack of $100 left and said all in. He called since he's pretty pot committed.

river another useless card.

He had top pair top kicker AJ all the way and I had him thinking he had me.:HappyDance::HappyDance:

Scott in Houston 02-02-2008 03:57 PM

Nice! I've had almost exact same thing happen. Some people over rate an AJ so badly and when the flop hits it, they are on cloud nine. It's so awesome.

In tournaments, if you have JJ, you really need to be late position to get a feel for your competition because so many people will call big bets with KQ AQ AJ or even K10 or KJ.
Then, if there's anything higher than your J's on the flop, it's scary!

In cash games, you can almost tell for sure whether you're leading or not, so it's an easy fold when those flops happen.

ashokn225 02-03-2008 12:43 AM

Sorry Peter, I don't really think that was necessarily a good hand, but just a good situation. He could have played that hand the same way with a set of 7s and you woulda stacked him only to go broke. The turn check/raise is a good move though, pretty effective. I do that often.