Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Sports (https://teamspeed.com/forums/sports/)
-   -   NFL lockout. Whose side are you on? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/sports/56364-nfl-lockout-whose-side-you.html)

jenk12m 03-15-2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by quickZohsix (Post 898818)
If an owner of a business ( NFL or a mom and pop lawn and garden store)wants to make more money and has a way to do it, then by all means go for it. They take a risk, and if it plays out, will make more money. Its a business

now IF IF IF the players contracts, no matter how ridiculously large say they only play 16 games, training camp bla bla bla, whatever is in the contract. Then they should not be asked to play 2 more games.

If you have a salary for 40K a yr for 40/hrs a week. Then I bet you would have an issue with the company telling you you can not work unless you work 45 hours a week now.

I also agree it looks shady for the owners to not show the records BUT, THEY ARE THE BOSS!!!! For those of you who do not work for yourselves, if your company wanted to make more money, would you tell them no unless you show me your accounting for the last 10 years? no, its none of your f' ing business. If you can run a better company, then this is America, go for it.

The owners will always make more money. The whole thing is the owners signed a contract saying the players make x percent and they make y percent of z. Knowing that z will grow every year. Now the owners say the players x percent is giving them too much of z and have backed out of the contract

jenk12m 03-15-2011 10:38 PM

Barrister the draft is a tough one. I wouldn't want to be put in the predicament.

quickZohsix 03-16-2011 09:31 PM

Well then the owners are at fault. Lol

jenk12m 03-16-2011 10:58 PM

The power of knowledge. Lol

alin2.5 03-16-2011 11:28 PM

Both sides are being obstinate.

But, the fact remains that the owners passed the last CBA 30-2 and then the OWNERS decided to opt out of the CBA, not the players. Plus, its the OWNERS that instituted a lock out. It's not a strike by the players. In fact, the April 6th court date on a suit filed by Brees, Brady, Manning et al is to get a judge to issue an injunction against the lockout so that the NFL is forced to reopen its doors. It was the owners that bargained in bad faith with the TV networks and DirecTV during a binding CBA essentially forcing a 4 billion dollar "lockout insurance" contract with TV. This baldfaced and audacious ploy was sniffed out easily by the NFLPA and the NFL was slapped down in court and banned from accessing the 4 billion dollars. In fact, they may even have to pay damages to the NFLPA. PLus, the players aren't asking for a single cent more. They just want to keep the status quo...which they won't be able to in order to get a CBA. They're going to have to give some money back. But, how much is the big game now with each side measuring their leverage now in court.

I'm not a labor lawyer, but there's a reasonable argument that the NFL IS a monopoly and that the NFL draft, exclusive rights, franchise tags, etc are frankly illegal. In what other profession is an employee "forced" to work for a "company" for 4-5 years and not have any freedom to move to another job. In what line of work, is an employee subkect to a "franchise" tag again limiting job mobility? What allows these practices to continue is the CBA. If the owners are stupid enough to allow the players to continue litigation with anti-trust lawsuits, it's going to change the landscape of the NFL labor situation forever. Don't forget, in the last major labor dispute, Reggie White was able to successfully sue the NFL regarding labor practices which is what finally prompted free agency.

That said, I do think the NFLPA is being disingenuous in asking for detailed financial statements. Although I totally understand why, since the NFL is asking for another billion dollar give-back from the players to the owners. Essentially, the owners are asking the players to share the risk of stadium financing, etc. There's no way that the owners want the players to see their expenses and, frankly, they won't want their fellow owner-competitors to see those statements.

That said, that info is going to become public if the lawsuits continue forward. So, the owners are looking at revealing this info to the NFLPA or in court it seems.

Wickedrsr 04-06-2011 12:08 AM

Is there still gonna be a lock out? NFL helps the economy in sooo many ways!

Barrister 04-25-2011 08:09 PM

Although not unexpected, this is a BIG victory for the players.

Judge rules for players, ends NFL lockout; owners seek stay, appeal - ESPN

bdeitemeyer 04-25-2011 08:23 PM

Good for the players, although I know there's still a long road ahead.

Sutler 04-26-2011 01:04 AM

Sorry if someone said this already, I don't feel like reading the whole thread.

In my opinion, both sides make WAY too much money. Sure, they put in a lot of work for training & such, but they don't deserve $1M+ salaries. No 'professional athletes' do. They should be playing because they love the game and want to entertain people, not to get rich. Endorsements are another matter, and one that I don't really care about -- if companies want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, to get someone's picture or testimony, they can go right ahead.