Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

So a thread here inspired me to take a golf lesson last night...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex
^ When my clubs and I come ITP, you better be ready (please don't embarrass me on the course).
Oh, don't you worry about that my friend! We will mutually embarrass each other. I'm struggling to regain what swing I had prior to tearing my bicep. Coming along nicely though.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
Blisters means you are gripping the club too hard.
Solely? I thought most golfers end-up with blisters no matter what (excluding Couples, but he doesn't practice much ).

Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Read the Ben Hogan book I mentioned earlier. There is an entire chapter on grip alone. Grip should be loose but firm.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
Blisters means you are gripping the club too hard.
depends on where the blisters are actually. BTW, just ordered the book you recommended

Old 05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Oh, don't you worry about that my friend! We will mutually embarrass each other. I'm struggling to regain what swing I had prior to tearing my bicep. Coming along nicely though.
it's aggravating isn't it? My shoulder is getting better but my swing still isn't the same...

Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Follow-up: So I know he shouldn't have changed my whole swing in one lesson but I specifically asked for everything he could give me so I could start working on it. I've been getting to the range a time or two a week and have been working hard at improving and last Thursday went out for a round at Rancho. Benefits of new swing:

1) Much more consistent from the rough
2) LONG irons are better than ever already. (Dropped a ball 6 feet from the pin from 205 out with a 4 iron which I've never been able to do)
3) Can hit a draw now which I couldn't with my old technique which came in handy once.

Downsides of the new swing:

1) Short game was my strength before (120 and in). With the new swing I've lost a bit of my touch but am confident that with practice it'll come back.
2) DRIVER: Struggling to a whole new level with the long stick. About half way through the round started crushing drives but I think I was using the old swing moreso than the new... I haven't spent much time with the driver at the range yet and obviously need to.

Overall I feel like the lesson was definitely a good thing and gave me a base on which I can actually work to improve this year whereas the last couple years I haven't really improved much. I think I'll give it 2 more weeks before I take another lesson and start the process all over again.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
The trick to make golf lessons truly effective is to commit to a series of at least 6 lessons with the same teacher on a regular schedule, like every two weeks. That way the instructor can break your swing down and rebuild it slowly, firmly ingraining everything in your head.

When I was playing golf quite a bit around 10-15 years ago, I did a series of 6 lessons (every two weeks) with a good instructor and my handicap went from 25 down to 12 very quickly after the series of lessons were completed.

If you can commit the time for the lessons as well as play and practice, it will pay off big in lowering your scores.

Another very important thing. Whenever possible, practice at a driving range where you can hit off from grass as opposed to mats. The mats provide a rebound that make slightly off iron shots look better than they actually would be if hit off from grass.