Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official Team Speed Sports Memorabilia Picture and Story Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The Official Team Speed Sports Memorabilia Picture and Story Thread!

I have wanted to start a thread like this for a while and finally got around to it tonight.

Most of us on Team Speed love sports. Almost all of us also appreciate collecting things and keeping the stuff that matters to us in great condition. So I suspect that many members have great sports memorabilia collections with interesting pieces that they could share in this thread. It can be anything as long as it is sports related. When sharing, please post the following:

1. The story behind the item. This is always the best part so don't get lazy and skip it.
2. Pictures of the item. Many angles are always good showing condition.
3. How much is it worth. With things like this it is interesting to learn the value or what you paid for the item. Some of the best items, however, merely have intrinsic value. These can be the best ones.
4. Anything particularly special about the item.
5. Comments on other's experiences and stuff strongly encouraged!

The only rule I would impose is that we not start posting stuff for sale. This is just to show off our stuff and our memories.

I hope to see a lot of very interesting stuff here. I will get the ball rolling in the next post.

Last edited by Barrister; 02-12-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the first entry.

In the summer of 1983 my brother and I went across the U.S. and Canada and visited every Major League Baseball stadium then in existence. We saved up $2,000 over the prior year to pay for the trip. It took us 5 weeks and nearly 10,000 miles of driving. We took my brother's 1977 van - the kind with a velvet painting of Merlin on the side and tiger striped seat covers - and slept in a tent at KOA campgrounds along the way. Often we just slept in the van. We did some epic stretches of driving. To keep my brother awake I would quiz him out of the old baseball Dope Book that used to come out every year. He never missed a question. There was very little structure to the trip. We would pull up to whatever ball park we were headed to and buy tickets day of the game or from scalpers. We were often unshowered and very disheveled. Many times we got there just minutes before game time after driving all night. We could usually get tickets for less than $5 back then - decent seats too. I still have the old map we used to guide us around. I was the "navigator" and had to keep us on course. My brother always knew where we were headed. But he always made me feel special and important with responsibilities like that. We listened to the Doobie Brothers and the Eagles the whole way on his old 8-track. We memorized the lyrics and would take turns singing verses. I can't listen to Take it Easy or China Grove without getting teary eyed even today. We capped off the trip with 3-days in Cooperstown at the Hall of Fame. We only spent more than 1 day at any place twice. Once was at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium to see a 3-game series featuring the Braves vs. Astros. This was to see our hero Dale Murphy. He hit 4 home runs in that 3 game series - two in one game. It was like he had secretly granted our wish. Totally unforgettable. The other was at the Hall. We didn't want to leave.

That trip was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was 13-years old and learned so much from my big brother. He is 14-years older than me. He taught me about honesty, the importance of family and how to have fun without it getting out of hand. I used to watch him when he didn't know I was there. He always did the right thing. I suppose that is the greatest test of character - doing the right thing when you think no one is watching. That's my brother. I sure looked up to him then and still do. He is a community college professor in Arkansas today. We disagree about most things - politics, religion and what team to root for (he loves the Cleveland Indians- don't ask me how that happened). We don't see each other much any more. Our lives have grown apart. We spent Christmas together in Utah this year - that was a real treat. He is the only person on earth that loves baseball more than me. We will always share the memories of that trip. He is a great brother.

As part of the trip - actually the whole trip centered around this - we saw the Yankees vs. Red Sox on July 4th. It was a day game. We got great seats. We bought them from a scalper for an unheard of $100 a piece! They were right behind home plate. We were in heaven. We were so happy to be there. To us Yankee Stadium was the Mecca of baseball. We felt the worn metal of the turnstyles and thought of how many fans had come through there before us. We went to see the monuments - which were not in center field like they are today. When we got there the Red Sox were taking batting practice. Dennis Eckersley was tossing balls into the stands from behind the cage. We could see into the Yankee dugout. We saw our heros - Craig Nettles, Don Baylor, Willie Randolph, Dave Winfield and Lou Pinella. Each time we would get a glimpse we would scream, "Hey Sweet Lou!" It was a dream come true. We loudly booed Dwight Evans, Tony Armas and Jim Rice - the hated Red Sox!!

Then something very special happened. The Yankee starter - Dave Righetti - pitched a no hitter! Righetti was sharp from the start and had great stuff. But as each inning went by with no hits, it got more and more exciting until it was like a pressure cooker! I'll never forget the top of the ninth with two out. Righetti pitched to an unknown rookie hitter that was 0-4 with a strikeout already in the game - the kid had bright red hair and a bushy mustache. The entire stadium - nearly 40,000 fans - were all on their feet. There was a silent hush with each windup and then a huge roar as the pitch hit the catcher's mit. STRIKE 1. Then, STRIKE 2! And finally STRIKE 3!!! Righetti struck the rookie out swinging on three pitches! The bench cleared and we ran onto the field. Security was cheering right along with us and didn't stop anyone. I was pushed around and ended up on the ground. When I got up I realized that I was standing on the field at second base. I just looked up at the facade and then at the people mobbing Righetti. It was pure euphoria! We were ushered off the field pretty quickly. My pants were dirty with soil - dirt from Yankee Stadium. I don't think I ever washed those pants again.

Oh yeah. That little known rookie that Righetti struck out to complete the no hitter was Wade Boggs.

I purchased a program at that game for $1.00 and kept score on the scorecard inside. Over the years I thought I had lost it. Then this Christmas my brother gave me the program as a gift! He had kept it all of these years and had intended on giving it to me but the time just never felt right. When we looked at it together we both just melted away into memories. It was like that expanse of time - over 25 years - just disappeared. We were back at the ball park together, cheering for the home team and eating hot dogs until we got sick. We were driving all night to make a double-header the next afternoon in Pittsburgh or Cincinatti. We were laughing at some silly show on the radio at 3 am. He was putting his arm around me when I got home sick. It was like we were kids again. Only baseball has that power. It's why I love the game.

The program is pictured below.

Here is the program's cover.

Closeup

Here is the scorecard.

Look where I scribbled "NO HITTER" as we were jumping up and down!

Check out the rosters - and the funny old Supra ad next to it.

Here is a cool article from the New York Post on the 25-year anniversary of the no hitter this year.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07032008...ter_118378.htm

Here are a couple of videos about the no hitter and of the final out - you can almost see us coming out of the stands!!

http://www.truveo.com/Righettis-nohitter/id/3281352359

http://www.truveo.com/STORY-Righetti...30388777533117

Years later I was at a memorabilia show and found this.

I overpaid but I couldn't resist! That's Boggs striking out. Ah, memories.

I have been offerred as much as $100 for the program. But it means far too much to sell. It brings back so many memories for me. Things I think about to cheer myself up when times are not going well. Things I share with my children. The stuff dreams are made of.

I think I will call my brother and tell him I love him.

Now it is your turn. Let's see all of your cool stuff!

Last edited by Barrister; 02-12-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Dana, wow at the Righetti experience.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
I do not really have any valuable sports stuff, actually the only memorabilia I have is the farmed tickets from the world series game I went to with my dad back in the 90s. cleveland vs. atl, had recently found out we were moving from cleveland to atl so I was torn on who to root for.

not a baseball fan but that was a really great time.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
That is awesome D!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks brother! It meant a lot to me.

TommyBahama, that is cool! Not very many people get to see a WS game. Your Red Sox may make that my destiny as well...

Last edited by Barrister; 02-12-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I'll go take some pictures and get back to this thread..

Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
My sports memorabilia is all boxed up at my parents house... cool thread though... I'll look forward to updates.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Jesus Christ Dana -- way to set the bar in the stratosphere!!!! We're gonna have to work hard to rival that post. Awesome memories man. Congrats!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
I'll do this in sections..

Yes, I know I need to clear the sensor.

I'll start in my room:

Now to Dhinkle's office:

I'm pretty sure this is the 500 HR club, I'm not positive, I know we have a cube thing with all the 500 HR hitter's balls in it.

I just took a ton of pictures so it'll be a little while, but they're uploading right now. We have a ton..just wait until it gets to the good stuff.

Quick Reply: The Official Team Speed Sports Memorabilia Picture and Story Thread!