Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

AiM Smartycam - Original and HD v2.1 Review and Compare

Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Teamspeed Member
Eric_H is an unknown quantity at this point
AiM Smartycam - Original and HD v2.1 Review and Compare

This video is to review the features of the Smartycam by highlighting some of the primary differences between the original and the newer 2.1 version. Hopefully this will help you decide on your purchase of a Smartycam or help with your decision of whether or not to upgrade from the Smartycam Original to v2.1. I did not touch on any included PC software differences between the two cameras, just the actual camera hardware.

First is a display of example footage from each camera, followed by a list of pros and cons that I thought were important to know.

I tried to keep the example track video both interesting (!!) and reflective of both morning and afternoon sky.

Watch on YouTube and view the video's description for more information.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Teamspeed Member
I was at the track last weekend and I got to test out a new (to me) idea. I installed a Micro Windjammer over the built in microphone. Perfect! I now have the full fidelity of the internal microphone without the loud wind noise.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Rob99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Sounds good ... ;-)

Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Teamspeed Member
Just wanted to update that the Windjammer is working great. It is something that I couldn't use with the original Smartycam as its microphone was sealed in the camera's casing.

The v2.1's microphone is on the right side of the camera (if the lens is facing toward you, it is on your right side if you are looking at it) so it picks up mostly what is going on in the cabin or out of the driver's side window when the lens is pointed out the front window. For me that is mostly supercharger noise.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Samples?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Teamspeed Member
Samples perhaps with my next track video... I have not really had anything worthy of posting, and not enough "action stuff" for another compilation video (e.g. ISpinUWin). It is working great however!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
I look forward to the outcome because a very poor sound make videos useless.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Teamspeed Member
I finally posted some example video. The videos at the end of my ISpinUWin#3 video were using the windjammer.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/aston-m...ml#post1482026

Old 06-04-2020, 08:48 PM
Teamspeed Member
In my opinion the 67HFOV (aka the narrow view) lens is best for in-car view, at least in the Exige. For an example, all of my videos used the 67 lens. I say this because wider = a view more like a fish eye go pro. You can't see out the front as closely, and you see a lot of the side windows..which... I find who cares, you can't tell what is going on out the side anyway. Just my opinion, view other's videos and compare what you would like for yourself. You see in my examples that the view (when mounted on the harness/roll bar behind the seats) is a perfect view through the windscreen from left to right windscreen pillar when mounted behind the driver. The wider view lenses might be what you want for outside mount or top down cars.