Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Pit-Stop (https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-stop/)
-   -   No Schumacher Comeback (https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-stop/27405-no-schumacher-comeback.html)

ECB 08-11-2009 04:12 AM

No Schumacher Comeback

damn it....I would have loved to see him racing again!

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...484308,00.html :(

Michael Schumacher has called off his Formula One comeback, citing a failure to recover from a longstanding neck injury.

The German was set to replace Ferrari's Felipe Massa at the upcoming August 23rd European GP, sparking a huge rise in ticket sales as fans of the seven-time World Champion were eager to witness his brief comeback.

Schumacher's return, though, was dependent on his fitness as the seven-time World Champion is still recovering from a neck injury that he suffered in a motorbike accident back in February.

However, after undergoing various tests, including a run in Ferrari's 2007 Championship-winning car, the 40-year-old has revealed that his neck "cannot stand the extreme stresses" of competing in a F1 grand prix.

As such, Schumacher has called off his return.

"Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and team principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe," Schumacher told his personal website.

"I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out. Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe. That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula One yet.

"This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon. As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination already yesterday.

"I am disappointed to the core. I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me. I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races."

Alex 08-11-2009 04:35 AM

At least the hype drummed up a lot of interest and ticket sales for Valencia. :dizzy: Who takes the seat until Massa's return, Alonso?

edit: Looks like Luca is slated to drive.

Alzilla 08-11-2009 07:29 AM

I'm curious to see how well Ferrari's test driver will do.

Tsar 08-11-2009 07:48 AM

:( damn it!

STLG 08-11-2009 08:00 AM

Just heard about this... on sportscenter no less. Looks like Luca has a lot on his shoulders for the euro gp.

quattro joe 08-11-2009 08:01 AM

That sucks! I bought Michael for my Fantasy Team.

Alzilla, Badoer may be fast on his own on a track but he's not a racer. He'll struggle to earn points, even if the car is competitive.

ECB 08-11-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by STLG (Post 376799)
Looks like Luca has a lot on his shoulders for the euro gp.

I would not want to be him right now...
super high pressure from all sides and he is expected to deliver an A+ performance

whitlock 08-11-2009 09:19 AM

wow that sux!

I was ready for the F1 race of the century

Schwabe 08-11-2009 09:48 AM

:resent::resent:

Raz5219 08-11-2009 10:04 AM

Man this sucks. I was looking forward to this.

X2daC 08-11-2009 12:09 PM

I was looking forward to Schumacher's return too.

DJ 08-11-2009 12:44 PM

i was sooooooooooooo looking forward to this :(

avalon53 08-11-2009 12:58 PM

Wow.....I'm sure Michael is more dissapointed than anyone else. :(

The Doctor 08-11-2009 01:26 PM

Good thing I didn't pick him up for my fantasy league.

X2daC 08-11-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Doctor (Post 376982)
Good thing I didn't pick him up for my fantasy league.

Picking him then selling him actually got me two extra points to spend.

STLG 08-11-2009 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by X2daC (Post 376990)

nice

ECB 08-11-2009 04:33 PM

I`ve read that Schumacher had multiple fractures in the head/neck area and even had a injured artery...
It sadly reminds me of Dana...I mean,if Schumacher still suffers from pains and has not fully recovered yet,even though he is a highly trained individual and has an army of docs working on him,
it`s certain that recovering from a motorcycle accident is no joke..

I`d like to spread some health instead of rep,please ;)

Alzilla 08-11-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by X2daC (Post 376990)

No it didn't. He was capped at 9.00M so no matter how many people added him to their rosters, his value wouldn't go up. Selling him only returns 8.80M. So you LOST 0.2M.

Hernando 08-11-2009 06:12 PM

I was really looking forward to this. Oh well. :(

"The JC" 08-11-2009 07:25 PM

Bummer...big bummer!

Over_Under 08-11-2009 07:28 PM

I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to his drive.

IIVVX 08-11-2009 08:55 PM

everyone has a right to be disappointed but i believe if at some point during the season schumi feels up to it and his physio's give him the go ahead he could still step in. if luca performs poorly this could play into his hands as well. i wouldn't write him off just yet.

this was the spill that caused the fractures
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/100004.jpg

The Doctor 08-12-2009 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alzilla (Post 377127)
No it didn't. He was capped at 9.00M so no matter how many people added him to their rosters, his value wouldn't go up. Selling him only returns 8.80M. So you LOST 0.2M.

That's what I was thinking also.

X2daC 08-12-2009 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Doctor (Post 377309)
That's what I was thinking also.

The numbers don't lie, but I remember buying him when he first popped up at 8m. That's odd.

Bodhii 08-25-2009 01:48 PM

Schumacher refusing to rule out future F1 comeback

Schumacher refusing to rule out future F1 comeback
Michael Schumacher has refused to rule out the possibility of returning to racing at the very highest level, after the German's manager revealed that the record-breaking seven-time F1 World Champion could test a Ferrari again in the not-too distant future.

Schumacher pulled out of his planned comeback to replace injured ex team-mate Felipe Massa as persistent neck pains from a motorcycling fall at Cartagena in Spain back in February continue to plague him. That left the Scuderia's loyal and long-serving test driver Luca Badoer to step into the breach, but a poor return to competition in the European Grand Prix in Valencia at the weekend – qualifying plum last and taking the chequered flag just 17th in the race – betrayed just how long the Italian has been out of action, having not previously started a race in the top flight since 1999.

That has left Ferrari needing to ask some serious questions, and ramped up the pressure on Schumacher to fill the void until Massa is well enough to return. Though the 91-time grand prix-winner has insisted that he will not be in the car at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend or at Monza in front of the Maranello-based outfit's adoring tifosi a fortnight later [see separate story – click here], he has dropped hints that it would be wise never to say never.

“For the moment, I don't have any plans to start another attempt to come back,” the 40-year-old told British newspaper The Daily Telegraph, “[but] I do not want to exclude the possibility that I [will] come back one day. I'm still part of the Ferrari family. You never know what happens. For right now, though, I have to say 'no'.”

Meanwhile, Schumacher's long-time manager Willi Weber has only served to fan the flames in admitting that the Kerpen native remains in training and could yet be seen inside the cockpit of an F1 car before too much longer.

“He still wants to drive motorcycles and karts,” the German told Cologne's Express newspaper, “and for the recovery from his injuries it could be helpful for him to test again in the old F1 Ferrari. When? It has not been decided.”

X2daC 08-25-2009 04:43 PM

He'll be back, five time champion, he'll be back.