Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Performance Series Audi Models (https://teamspeed.com/forums/performance-series-audi-models/)
-   -   Are the older S4's worth buying? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/performance-series-audi-models/50918-older-s4s-worth-buying.html)

Spartacus 11-27-2010 04:55 PM

Are the older S4's worth buying?

Been in the market for a four door sedan for a month now, and I just cant seem to find anything I actually want to spend my money on.
I was starting to look at some of the older Audi S4 cars (2000-2001). Twin turbo V6 with AWD, sounds pretty fun. But I unfortunately dont know much about the car or Audi's in general. I had an old Audi 90 back in College, and the thing ate me alive in repairs. And then ive heard that the "newer" Audi's have electrical issues. How much of that is just disgruntled people who cant afford one or didnt know how to take care of it properly? I know how things can get blown out of proportion online. But Im just curious, because Im sure there are some people on this site who have actually owned one...

There's a nice Imola Yellow 6 speed, black interior w/ cold weather package for sale near by and there is also a blue auto/trip trans one close too. Both have just over 100k miles. Prices are under $10k...

Thoughts, Opinions?

JonA85 11-27-2010 05:19 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. But I'm looking at WRX or STIs. I would love an S4 but the maintenance is a killer. As much as I love Audis I wouldn't buy one with over 50k miles. I did it once and learned my lesson.

Craigger 11-27-2010 05:58 PM

friend just replaced his '91 740 Turbo Wagon with a WRX Wagon and couldnt be any mor happy.

Check them out.

GuessWho 11-27-2010 05:59 PM

spartacus, you should PM JC. he know a bit about them

Spartacus 11-27-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JonA85 (Post 771962)
I'm in the same boat as you. But I'm looking at WRX or STIs. I would love an S4 but the maintenance is a killer. As much as I love Audis I wouldn't buy one with over 50k miles. I did it once and learned my lesson.

I agree, but people tend to say that about every car...
I also read somewhere that the higher mileage Audi cars aren't so bad if the maintenance has been kept up and done recently (pumps, timing belts, etc...)

Spartacus 11-27-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 771996)
spartacus, you should PM JC. he know a bit about them

Who is JC?

JonA85 11-27-2010 06:52 PM

^^ yeah but any car will be good if they are kept up well. I had a bad experience with a used Audi and so haven't other people I've talked to. Just my opinion though. Go check one out, make sure you go through it and if your guts says yes then go for it but if you have any kind of doubt don't do it.

GLN 11-27-2010 07:57 PM

Two of my best friends had B5 S4's. Both kept their cars immaculate and babied them beyond belief. Both of them explain owning the cars as the worst decisions they ever made, despite them still saying they loved it. My understanding is that owning one is quite similar to rushing a Fraternity. It's the most fun that you'd never want to do ever again.

"The JC" 11-27-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spartacus (Post 772015)
Who is JC?

The JC is a selfless hero who is relentless in his fight for your right to post nipple!

I had an '01 S4 and sold it in early '09 after six years of ownership. I bought the car with 14k miles on it and sold it with 70k. Towards the end of its time with me it did seem to constantly have issues. That being said, it was extensively modified and I drove the sh!t out of the thing.

Sorry, just got off of a twelve hour shift or I would go into more detail. However, it is hard to find a B5 S4 that hasn't been tampered with or driven hard. Plus, as its been mentioned the maintenance/replacement parts are quite expensive. I found that it was best to go aftermarket when something failed or was broken.

barebones 11-27-2010 10:47 PM

Is there a big difference in the quality between VW and AUDI?

I have a 01 Golf TDi That I do next to no maintenanve on. It is just a mule. I bought it with 165k and it has like 350k on it now and besides general maintenance, like 1k$ timing belt changes it has been hassle free. I even drove it accross Canada with a broken spring, F'ed up brakes, a blown turbo and generaly screwed front suspension. Thing limped into the garage and only cost me 2500$ in repais to bring it to perfect.