Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why pick the RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bodhii
Why in the world would anyone CHOOSE to drive a box sedan car? If you have kids, then I would prefer to get rid of the kids. If that's not possible, only then wouesld I ever look at a sedan. If no kids, at that price, get a GREAT Porsche Cayman S! No clear thinking person go FROM a Cayman S TO an Audi sedan unless they are having kids. Only then get a sedan , and then only with great reluctance. The threat of driving a sedan is a great birth control motivation..
Because something like an E60 M5 will go around the track as fast as a Cayman 'S', be just as much fun and can do it with 3 people in the car with you.

They are the perfect DD's - fun, sporty and at the same time luxurious enough to travel in comfort over long distances, can fit a load of luggage and can do everything you need of it.

A Cayman is too compromised for dd'ing - so bloody small, can't fit enough in it and if you have it as your only car, even if you are young and single it still becomes a PITA and i'm talking from experience here having owned many 2 seat and small sports cars.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Because something like an E60 M5 will go around the track as fast as a Cayman 'S', be just as much fun and can do it with 3 people in the car with you.

They are the perfect DD's - fun, sporty and at the same time luxurious enough to travel in comfort over long distances, can fit a load of luggage and can do everything you need of it.

A Cayman is too compromised for dd'ing - so bloody small, can't fit enough in it and if you have it as your only car, even if you are young and single it still becomes a PITA and i'm talking from experience here having owned many 2 seat and small sports cars.
Great point, I was in an e60 M5 blasting around a track this weekend with three other people and the A/C on, phenomenal machines indeed.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
Great point, I was in an e60 M5 blasting around a track this weekend with three other people and the A/C on, phenomenal machines indeed.
I want one, always have but am too scared to own one with less than 2 years warranty and the 2008 models are so freaking expensive over here.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
. My MIL's 2001 740 for example, still gets me thinking about doing a 6 speed conversion if/when she gets rid of it.
Shouldn't be too hard to find parts - a bunch of them have been sold with 6spd over here

Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
There were a few more minor running changes in 03. And earlier M5's have had engine troubles that the 03's do not. But in general, I just prefer the last year cars with BMW. My MIL's 2001 740 for example, still gets me thinking about doing a 6 speed conversion if/when she gets rid of it.

I looked really really hard for a Imola/Caramel 03, just couldn't find one.

I like everything about the S4 Avant except the engine. The RS4 engine is quite something.
Like what? The only major mechanical changes that I'm aware of happened in 2001.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
My e39M is a 2002 and I've only had a single problem with it (the side airbag blew when I started the car once) so at least that's out of the way. I love the e39M, I think it will be a classic someday, but if I had to choose between the two, I think I'd go with a B7 RS4. Not just b/c of power (though it has one of the greatest engines made), but b/c its slightly more refined and capable than the e39M. Not to knock the M, but the RS4 is just a better package, great looks and performance. However, if I were looking to track the car, I definitely would go with the M5, f@ck understeer!!!

As I have discussed before, when I was in the market for a new car last time around, I had my heart set on an RS4, but I ended up with the e92M instead. However, between the choice of e39 M5 or B7 RS4, the audi would be my choice for DD. Its just the right size, has great all weather handling, a great interior, phenomenal looks, and a clutch so light I wouldn't mind letting a gf drive it. I could get into more detail about differences of driving the two, but I'm tired and my brain is beginning to go into 'hibernate mode'.
I think you're right. However, the question to ask is: does the RS4 do it twice as well? OK, I may be exaggerating price to performance ratio a tad, but you get the idea. You can pick up a well maintained, clean M5 for ~$25K right now. Figure you throw aside a few thousand for down the road maintenance, and you're still in under $30K. I struggle to come up with other cars that can do what the M5 can for that money.

I haven't driven an RS4; can you compare the E39 M5's motor with the RS4 to satisfy my curiosity?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I haven't driven an RS4; can you compare the E39 M5's motor with the RS4 to satisfy my curiosity?
The RS4's powerplant is much like the current M3's in that they are both high revving screamers. The e39 M5 in comparison may only have 390hp, but it has a hell of a lot more low end torque than either of the previously mentioned cars. When you bury the throttle of the e39M, the 'get up and go' is much more apparent than the RS4. Straight line thump, the e39 M5, but if you're on a very twisty back country road and you're looking to cover ground very, very quickly, I'll take the RS4.

When considering price, the e39M is the wise man's choice, but I just think the RS4 is a nicer place to be as a DD.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond repute
M5Kid I would really like to know where one can buy an E60 M5 for $25K.
To me that sounds like a big stretch.

Ranger

Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Because something like an E60 M5 will go around the track as fast as a Cayman 'S'.
No way, Josh.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
M5Kid I would really like to know where one can buy an E60 M5 for $25K.
To me that sounds like a big stretch.

Ranger
Pretty sure he's talking about an E39..

Quick Reply: Why pick the RS4?