Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why pick the RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
I am talking about the E60.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
I am talking about the E60.
well specify next time, b/c the only M5 previously discussed was an e39...flipping sheesh!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
shaddup!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
When we couldn't find a nice E39 M5 as our family car, it was between the RS4 and the S4 Avant.

Ultimately we picked the S4 Avant for the additional room, but make no mistake, the S4 engine is nothing special, whereas the RS4 is pretty awesome.

The clutch in the RS4 is also way better than in the S4.

To be fair, I would advise thgat you drive both the E39 M5 (only the 2003, last year) and the RS4 and see which one does it for you.
Why only the 2003? Besides the DVD based NAV, there weren't any upgrades in '03 to distinguish it from an '01<.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
e39 M5 < B7 RS4, and I own a e39 M5.
After 10 years, the E39 M5 still does its thing real well. Absolutely love driving that car and the way it goes about its business. One of the best cars BMW has ever made, no doubt.

Tell me more about yours . . .

Last edited by M5Kid; 05-26-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
well specify next time, b/c the only M5 previously discussed was an e39...flipping sheesh!
I thought the RS4 steering was not as nice as the E39 M5.

Power wise I thought the RS4 has more oomph in the torque department.

The E39 M5 is a simpler car, and feels more direct being RWD.

What are your thoughts between the two?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Why only the 2003? Besides the DVD based NAV, there weren't any upgrades in '03 to distinguish it from an '01<.
There were a few more minor running changes in 03. And earlier M5's have had engine troubles that the 03's do not. But in general, I just prefer the last year cars with BMW. My MIL's 2001 740 for example, still gets me thinking about doing a 6 speed conversion if/when she gets rid of it.

I looked really really hard for a Imola/Caramel 03, just couldn't find one.

I like everything about the S4 Avant except the engine. The RS4 engine is quite something.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
I thought the RS4 steering was not as nice as the E39 M5.

Power wise I thought the RS4 has more oomph in the torque department.

The E39 M5 is a simpler car, and feels more direct being RWD.

What are your thoughts between the two?
My e39M is a 2002 and I've only had a single problem with it (the side airbag blew when I started the car once) so at least that's out of the way. I love the e39M, I think it will be a classic someday, but if I had to choose between the two, I think I'd go with a B7 RS4. Not just b/c of power (though it has one of the greatest engines made), but b/c its slightly more refined and capable than the e39M. Not to knock the M, but the RS4 is just a better package, great looks and performance. However, if I were looking to track the car, I definitely would go with the M5, f@ck understeer!!!

As I have discussed before, when I was in the market for a new car last time around, I had my heart set on an RS4, but I ended up with the e92M instead. However, between the choice of e39 M5 or B7 RS4, the audi would be my choice for DD. Its just the right size, has great all weather handling, a great interior, phenomenal looks, and a clutch so light I wouldn't mind letting a gf drive it. I could get into more detail about differences of driving the two, but I'm tired and my brain is beginning to go into 'hibernate mode'.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Bodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud of
Why in the world would anyone CHOOSE to drive a box sedan car? If you have kids, then I would prefer to get rid of the kids. If that's not possible, only then wouesld I ever look at a sedan. If no kids, at that price, get a GREAT Porsche Cayman S! No clear thinking person go FROM a Cayman S TO an Audi sedan unless they are having kids. Only then get a sedan , and then only with great reluctance. The threat of driving a sedan is a great birth control motivation..

Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Bodhii
The threat of driving a sedan is a great birth control motivation..
If that's the case then one should commit suicide if they are forced to drive a minivan...seriously!

Quick Reply: Why pick the RS4?