Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

My old 1995 Cobra Convertable Hardtop Car, 1 of 499

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
My old 1995 Cobra Convertable Hardtop Car, 1 of 499

I was just looking through some old pics I had. I sold this car last summer after going through alot with it. I daily drove this car for a couple years and at around 125,000 miles it was starting to looked aged for sure. And was still completley stock. This was a very rare car as it was 1 of 499 convertables to have a hardtop from the factory, lots of people, even Mustang guys don't even know exsisted. I loved going to shows and showing it off. The people who did know about it, usually had never seen one in person. I took alot of pleasure in showing people how it worked and all the pieces ect.

Anyway, I ponied (no pun intended) and had the whole car re-sprayed in black. I added the styling bar, Cobra R hood and the 96-98 CObra rear bumper (94-95 just said Mustang) and also had the black plastic side view mirrors painted, one of my favorite subtle touchs

2 weeks after the repaint and it looking like a brand new car, I was rearended by a kid looking for a CD. It pushed me into the car in front of me at the stop light and blew the airbags. The car was totalled out and really bummed me out. I fought the insurance company hard and bought it back. They originally offered me 8K for the car and I could buy it back for 1,200. I told them they were smoking crack and it was worth more than that. I got together all of my receipts and history and info on the car. I ended up getting 12K for the car. I bought it back for 2,500. This left me with 9,500. It cost me 7K to fix. The front end had to be put on a fame rack and fixed, a new core support, respray of the front end, ect ect. The rear frame work was fixed and body panels replaced.

Anyway, I got it back up to snuff but fell onto hard times with work and needed to sell it. I know the guy who owns it currently and could buy it back if I could make it work. I will re-own this car one day. Seeing it drive away was harder than selling the Z06.

Enough ramblimg, here was my baby

I need to find my good pics of it with the top on.....

Last edited by quickZohsix; 12-20-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
She's a beauty, Chris! Best of luck getting her back!

btw, what're you driving since selling the Z06?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Can you give some more info on these cars? I'm seriously looking at purchasing one in the future.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 81911
Can you give some more info on these cars? I'm seriously looking at purchasing one in the future.
Im more than willing to give ya as much info and answer as many questions as you like. Ill run down the basics off the top of my head.

These cars were 100% the same as a facotry 95 Cobra convertable with a few exceptions. All 95 Cobra verts were black with tan interior. All were 5 speeds with a World Class T5. All had a Black top.

If you want me to go over the differences of the Cobra over the GT, just let me know I know more about Mustangs than I probably should lol

These cars were made with the factory hardtop. It is a lift off top similar to a Thunderbird. The top attaches at the factory soft top attach points. There are 3 latches at the rear, and two in the front that attach with similar handles to the factory soft top. When the hard top is on, the soft top is in the down position. There is a wiring harness you unplug from the soft top, and then plug in the harness from the hardtop. The hardtop has a dome light similar to a coupe.

The rear springs are a special spring rate that is between the coupe and vert. ( I replaced my springs with H&R SuperSports for a vert)

The original equipment was

a. The Hardtop
b. A VHS Tape about 3min long on how to remove and install the top
c. 2 rear cover pieces that act as a rear dash to cover the soft top when the hardtop is on.
d. A plastic stand on casters to place the top on
e. A Canvas cover costom fit to the top
f. The original window sticker will have it listed as an option

If any of those things are not there, they are missing. All of them came with those.

The top weighs about 90lbs and is fairly easy to install. It is only nerve racking when holding it over the trunk!

These tops have NO SPARE PARTS FROM FORD!!!!!

If you break the rear window, need extra parts, or want a replacement, your SOL. There are tops that come up for sale from time to time and get north of 2K each. There are also fiberglass shells someone bought out from Ford years ago, but I dont believe there are any other parts other than the shell.

If I can think of anything more, Ill let ya know. Any more questions, Im all ears. I love talking about these cars!

And Alex, I don't even have a car right now. The g/f has 2009 Civic Si that I use when Im home. But she lives with me, so its like we split the car, or are together anyway. I have a 1967 Mustang Convertable Ive had for 8 years that hasn't been worked on in at least 5. Im going to start working on it again soon.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Awesome man, thank you for the info.
I've found a couple (coupes though) online for (seems to me) a good deal. I'm not too knowledgeable on the 5.0 vs. the 4.6 though and not sure which direction to head towards.
Thanks for the help.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
big SN95 fan.

I have one I will never part with.

Very nice and rare car.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by 81911
Awesome man, thank you for the info.
I've found a couple (coupes though) online for (seems to me) a good deal. I'm not too knowledgeable on the 5.0 vs. the 4.6 though and not sure which direction to head towards.
Thanks for the help.
LOTS of differences in the 4.6 and the 5.0. The 5.0 of course being a pushrod "older tech" type car. and the 4.6 being a overhead cam motor is more advanced. the 5.0 can be cheaper for parts for sure. and both obviosuly have advantages. the 4.6 cars have a T45 tranny and typically suck. they 99-01 Cobra's had a 3650 tranny and was better, but not great. the 03-04 Cobra's had a T56 tranny (good tranny)

All of the V8 SN95 cars had an 8.8 rearend that could be built to be bullitt proof. I would mainly research the engines and decide. If you cant decide between the two, look for the better deal of your prospects.