Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

McLaren P1 vs. the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
Peloton had the time tatoo'd to his arse. If anyone is desperate enough to know

Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
You must have me confused with someone else. The tattoo on my arse reads 'Exit Only'.

>8^P
ER

Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
From the AutoCar piece that was published today:

According to the rumour mill that is the internet the number of 6min 47sec keeps cropping up. But according to a McLaren insider I spoke to who knows rather more about the P1's capabilities than any armchair expert ever could, the actual time is "a fair bit quicker than that." As in six minutes 30 something.

The truth is out there, again.

>8^)
ER

Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
boyko23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The embarrassing and comical saga with this so called "car jurno" Steve Sutcliffe continues with this childish explanation on his blog:

G I'm sorry
New21 hours 30 min ago
Regards the 5g cornering claim, it’s a long and not especially compelling story, culminating in this official response from McLaren, who just emailed me saying; "We have a slightly embarrassing confession to make, and admit that the information quoted is incorrect - this fact was take from details regarding our Formula 1 car, and not the P1. So these figures relate to the F1 car instead. Sorry for this confusion. For information, the P1 can withstand lateral forces of up to 2g when cornering and braking." I'm sorry, too, that I didn’t spot this dear reader; I should have done. No excuse. And when I say that the P1 feels “as quick as anything I’ve ever driven including a Honda F1 car” I am exaggerating, of course. Slightly. But not by much. The P1 is much, much faster than I was expecting it to be, basically, and maybe it has frazzled my judgment somewhat in the process! Kind regards Steve

Some conclusions:
1. Mclaren gave him the wrong piece of press release - very, very professional IMO ;
2. SS wrote what he get without even reading it, haha;
3. exaggerating comparisons, but not much? How much is not much?

From the whole review at the end of the day, maybe the date is the only clear fact...

Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by boyko23
The embarrassing and comical saga with this so called "car jurno" Steve Sutcliffe continues with this childish explanation on his blog:

G I'm sorry
New21 hours 30 min ago
Regards the 5g cornering claim, it’s a long and not especially compelling story, culminating in this official response from McLaren, who just emailed me saying; "We have a slightly embarrassing confession to make, and admit that the information quoted is incorrect - this fact was take from details regarding our Formula 1 car, and not the P1. So these figures relate to the F1 car instead. Sorry for this confusion. For information, the P1 can withstand lateral forces of up to 2g when cornering and braking." I'm sorry, too, that I didn’t spot this dear reader; I should have done. No excuse. And when I say that the P1 feels “as quick as anything I’ve ever driven including a Honda F1 car” I am exaggerating, of course. Slightly. But not by much. The P1 is much, much faster than I was expecting it to be, basically, and maybe it has frazzled my judgment somewhat in the process! Kind regards Steve

Some conclusions:
1. Mclaren gave him the wrong piece of press release - very, very professional IMO ;
2. SS wrote what he get without even reading it, haha;
3. exaggerating comparisons, but not much? How much is not much?

From the whole review at the end of the day, maybe the date is the only clear fact...

---------------------------------------

Interesting quote from Jim Glickenhaus @ FerrariChat forum.

"Back to Ring Times, McLaren now admits it's 2G's not 5. We pull 2.8. Do you seriously think P1 beat our Ring time of 6:51 by 21 seconds? We also have 2800lb of downforce were on race tires vs. they being on street tires and claiming 1300lb of downforce?"

link

Last edited by koizu; 01-22-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
salihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to behold
of course not down by 21 seconds, but still down enough.. :golf clap:

Originally Posted by koizu

---------------------------------------

Interesting quote from Jim Glickenhaus @ FerrariChat forum.

"Back to Ring Times, McLaren now admits it's 2G's not 5. We pull 2.8. Do you seriously think P1 beat our Ring time of 6:51 by 21 seconds? We also have 2800lb of downforce were on race tires vs. they being on street tires and claiming 1300lb of downforce?"

link

Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond repute
I guess today that the Mc-P1 will be in the hands of Stig (Power lap - Top Gear).

The time set by the Zonda R will be a measure of comparison (benchmark), this can give us an idea of ​​the performance of P1 and know how close or far are the statements of McLaren Automotive.

PS:

I know that this premise is not too serious, there are many factors that determine a test, however it will be interesting to see.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond repute
No Stig lap... disappointed. :-(
Mclaren's arguments begin to fade for me.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't seen the episode yet, but this doesn't surprise me at all. Utterly disappointing from a car enthusiast's standpoint. What was their excuse this time?

-Top Gear test track too dangerous?
-Stig feeling a bit under the weather?
-Pagani used race-cut tires, yet their time is still on the TG Board, negating any validity to track times like the 'Ring?
-Richard Hammond's new GT3 was actually faster than the P1 unless it was in 'Race Mode'?

Unbelievable.

Last edited by Zeus; 02-09-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
McLaren Fanatic
They said they will show P1's Dunsfold Power Lap in a few weeks time when they test the 918 Spyder.

>8^)
ER

Quick Reply: McLaren P1 vs. the Nürburgring-Nordschleife