Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
depthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished road
peleton 25 want to test your knowledge dont know where you get all your infomation from but been tweeting today about lemans after seeing pic of a f1 in the car park.The owner tweeted he has chassis no 38 which happens to be the lemans race nuber of his chaasis.

can you tell me more?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
In answer to your first question - I get all my information from everywhere. I just pay really close attention.

The owner you are referring to has GTR 16R which raced at Le Mans in 1996 wearing race number 38 on it's flanks. Chassis #038 is a road car which looks quite a bit different.

Here's a great shot of 16R at the 1996 LeMans race on the run down from the Esses to Tetre Rouge by mendaman on Flickr.

Click to double the size.

Here's another shot of it and its sister car, GTR 17R which wore race number 39 preparing for Le Mans scrutineering.

These two GTRs also raced earlier that season at the BPR GT race held at Silverstone in order to prepare the cars and the team for the 24 Hour event. At that race they wore #24 and #25 with the same liveries.

Finally, here's a nice hi-res image of #16R suitable for wallpaper or maybe printing:

Present day, the car looks like this for those who did not get a chance to see it:

This is the same GTR that Tiff Needel borrowed for an episode of 5th Gear where he compared it to a Ferrari Enzo. At the time the car was with it's previous owner though.

YouTube - ‪McLaren F1 GTR #16R vs Ferrari Enzo - Fifth Gear‬‏

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 06-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Peleton, have you had the pleasure of riding in one yet?

Also is the green f1 owned by the owner of Turner Motorsport (Massachusetts) still around?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Harvey - I'm on my phone now so I'll have to answer your questions later.

Just wanted to mention that the GTR's owner has Tweeted some photos from his trip down to Le Mans.

Twitpic / beesma1971

>8^)
ER

Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
Peleton, have you had the pleasure of riding in one yet?
Why, are you offering?

The answer is 'yes' actually. Back in 2005 I was invited to join a new owner in Monterey during the Pebble Beach weekend and go for a ride in his nearly new McLaren F1. When I got in it for the first time it had just a tick over 400 miles on the odometer. When it had rolled off the transporter on the polo fields two days earlier it was showing just 170 miles. This was it - F1 #068:

It was quite an experience - I relayed my story on a different message forum at the time who chose to turn my thread into a feature on their website which you can still read here:

Reader Review: The McLaren F1 Experience

The included galleries they also hosted are dead links now, but you can find the photo sets here if you're interested:

Flickr: McLaren F1 XP4

Flickr: McLaren F1 #068

Also is the green f1 owned by the owner of Turner Motorsport (Massachusetts) still around?
Will Turner has never owned a McLaren F1 that I am aware of. An associate of Turner Motorsports, and at one time a paid driver in one of their Speed Touring Car BMWs, named Frank Selldorff did own three McLaren F1s but they have all since been sold. None of them were ever green though.

He had a black one which was #007:

He purchased this one around April 2001 and it was sold to Simon Kidston in Geneva in early 2010.

Then Frank owned one of the 5 customer LMs which I believe he also purchased in the middle of 2001.

His was LM3 which he sold to Ralph Lauren at the end of December 2004.

Finally he owned #068 - the silver car pictured above in case it slipped your mind already - which he sold to the owner from Costa Rica who was kind enough to take me for a spin in mid 2005. I don't really have any pics of #068 from when Frank owned it because the entire time it was kept in storage, mostly at BMW's HQ in Montvale, NJ where the East Coast McLaren F1 Service Center is located.

Of his three McLarens, Frank bought #068 first in May of 2000. At that time it was not possible to convert a 1996 or later McLaren F1 to conform to our EPA's OBD-II standards thus importation was not achievable. He went ahead and purchased #007 as it was an earlier car and less of a challenge, but during the time that he owned #068 he spent the money to have a facility in Baltimore develop what was needed for the car to conform and eventually in September 2003 it was finally approved for the DOT's 'Show or Display' exemption.

At that point he had #007 and the LM to drive so he chose to simply keep #068 stored. None of its previous owners (I think there were two) had ever registered or driven the car so that 170 miles that it had on it were just from McLaren's initial delivery process and the couple of times they serviced it. That made it a bit of a time capsule car and when Frank sold it the new owner paid a fairly hefty top-market price of $1.8M for it. However, compared to the $3.6M one sold for in Monterey in 2010 though, that price now seems a bit of a bargain.

Incidentally, #068 has changed hands again three times since I rode in it - first in early 2009 it left Costa Rica for a different owner in Boston, then again in mid 2010 it went to someone in the UK and finally it was sold once more earlier this year. It now resides in a prominent collection down in Mexico.

Here are two wonderful shots of the car taken in August 2009 by a pair of my favorite photographers:

>8^)
ER

Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
revio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
depthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished road
i was following the car on twitter with the F40, found out chassis #38 is the nuber of his new mp412-c which is a bit ironic.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
revio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Originally Posted by depthofshine
i was following the car on twitter with the F40, found out chassis #38 is the nuber of his new mp412-c which is a bit ironic.
Ahhh - 38 will be his 12C chassis number - now it all makes sense.

>8^)
ER

Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Teamspeed Member
hopefully going to meet him at the mp412-c launch in 3 weeks and if the weathers ok has been asked to bring the f1,do you know who owns the 5 Lm's

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread