Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Thank....

Name:  2FB23BD5-586A-4A9C-AA35-5F7A4D3DEE10-19163-0000081DDD7D614D_zps8b545014.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  109.8 KB

Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Me&You
Actually, it's being considered well bought. Gordon Murray himself was in attendance at the auction and reportedly said as much.

And it's not out of line with other recent sales; certainly not a "big jump".
This man speaks the gospel. I had a brief but similar conversation with Gordon after the result at Gooding and felt exactly the same way.

Originally Posted by Dave M
I would consider it a big jump in price considering what some have sold for over the past year or two. Are you confirming that was the price sold? Also waiting for Eric to answer as he has great knowledge on these matters.
I don't think you really know what some have sold for in the past year or two then. This car went for less money than four of the most recent F1 road car sales I am aware of, considerably less than two of them but those cars were kind of special. There was also a car traded for other things and its open to interpretation but most would agree that owner did better than this sale as well.

The only recent public sale of any McLaren F1s was the Gulf GTR longtail at last year's Bonhams Monterey sale, but GTRs, especially the longtails, have always had a different market value, so that shouldn't be a factor in anyone's thinking. There was a report by Tom Hartley in the UK when he sold #059 in late 2012 that he had achieved more than £3.5M, but even at that time folks I speak with suggested he left money on the table with that car. Prior to that the last public sale was also at a Gooding auction in Monterey, but back in 2010 when #062 brought $3.575M and in those three years the chart of prices has been on a real upward swing.

The expectation was for this car at Gooding to hammer at more than $8.5M - it didn't, generating only a $7.7M hammer price then you add their buyer's premium of 10% to get to $8.47M. I think that was largely due to the mood in the room on a tough night. When the 14-louver Ferrari TdF that went several lots ahead of the F1 only achieved $8.6M about 20% of the people in attendance left. Most of the action that night was happening over at the RM auction (see their result for the NART Spider or the 1974 McLaren Indy winner) and Gooding's sale just didn't have the excitement I had come to expect. They still got a great headline with the result on the F1, and the final price has surprised a lot of people who aren't in-the-know, but it should by no means be considered the record price for one, unless you qualify that with 'in a public sale' or something similar.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 08-20-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
What chassis is this, Erik. It was at the McLaren house.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I don't really know what the prices are I was just remembering some of the information I have read in this thread. Thanks for all the knowledge and information. I can only imagine what prices you were speaking about that were more, or what they may come to be in the years to come.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the recent F1 #66 that was sold. It truly was a beautiful example.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
I remember the days of the million dollar F1. And I thought is never have one then! Haha amazing appreciation

Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
What chassis is this, Erik. It was at the McLaren house.
Jason - I eventually ended up with the keys to the red one.

>8^)
ER

Old 08-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Did you get to drive it?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Don't I wish...

>8^)
ER

Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Here's a photo of mine from the Italian F1 Owner's Club 20th Anniversary Tour that I really liked. Taken inside chassis 007, being chased by F1 prototype 'XP4' on the roads around Lake Garda in Italy.

Click here for hi-res.

>8^)
ER

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread