Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Launch Control does not work anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
Question Launch Control does not work anymore?

I was in the M6 out on a drive with some friends yesterday and noticed that the LC was not working. I set it up as I have always done but it no longer holds the rev's for me when I push the throttle to the floor. The result is a lot of smoke from clutch and tires... Anybody know why?

Car is stock, only different set of rims. However I have used the LC well over 55-60 times now, are the number of lauches limited?
If it isnt an easy fix I'll probably set up a time at the stealer to have it checked out.

Vanq

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
55-60 times sounds like a lot. The old M3 was limited to only 3 launches per half year or something, and I'm guessing that the M6 has a limited time of use. The clutch can only withstand that much of punishment.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Does it drive normally otherwise? Does the clutch hold the gears throughout? What are you smelling?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
That sucks hope it's nothing Major

Old 02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys!

I just went for a drive to test a couple of things and not counting in that the clutch is obviously worn due to the fact that I drive it like its stolen, nothing else seems wrong. Called the dealer and he said that the rev-limiter but might be acting up but it was working just fine when I mashed the throttle to the floor, both in neutral and at low and high speeds.!!

btw, I pulled up in the garage after the drive and the first thing my fiance said was: "Yay, another car with a non-working gearbox"

Old 02-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The M6 is a true sequential manual right? Pretty hard to smoke those my brother!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Barrister
The M6 is a true sequential manual right?
Yes it is

Pretty hard to smoke those my brother!
Hehehe, true that... Maybe I should put one in the Aston then

Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
The M6 is a true sequential manual right? Pretty hard to smoke those my brother!
Oh it's easy.

BMW's SMG is just regular dry clutch with some hydraulics hooked up to move the gears automatically.

In my E46 M3, all you have to do is put the gear in 1st, floor it, and SMG will dump the clutch and gives you a nice big cloud of tire smoke.