Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Less than two weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Less than two weeks!

Well, I am about two weeks away from picking up my M3 from Chattanooga, TN . It's a 2005 with 35k miles and the SMG transmission (I'd have preferred a manual, but decided against it because of the commute to class each morning).

I've attached a few shots of it that were sent to me. I had a PPI done, and the mechanic's words to the SA were "it's perfect" which sounds perfectly alright to me .

Attached Images         
Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice and clean! Congrads on your new ride.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Scott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, you're going to love that car.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Dude, you're going to love that car.
Yeah, no doubt. Sign up for a DE event at your local track, and get some time learning the cars capabilities with an instructor in a safe(er) environment. Getting some serious seat time in an M5 with my friend, and seasoned instructor was one of the best things I've done for my driving abilities. He started taking me out when I was 16, and helped me with heal-n'-toe, apex, lines, vision, and over/understeer. As a result, I feel comfortable jumping into most capable cars and driving them safely, properly, and respectably quick. These aren't skills solely helpful on the track, you can use them everyday.

Have fun with it this summer, and make sure to take a decent trip with an attractive young girl in the passenger seat!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the comments guys! I really appreciate them.

Originally Posted by M5Kid
Yeah, no doubt. Sign up for a DE event at your local track, and get some time learning the cars capabilities with an instructor in a safe(er) environment. Getting some serious seat time in an M5 with my friend, and seasoned instructor was one of the best things I've done for my driving abilities. He started taking me out when I was 16, and helped me with heal-n'-toe, apex, lines, vision, and over/understeer. As a result, I feel comfortable jumping into most capable cars and driving them safely, properly, and respectably quick. These aren't skills solely helpful on the track, you can use them everyday.
The first "mod" for the car is a trip up to BeaveRun for a DE event . I figure that's as good a place as any to start with a car like this.

Originally Posted by M5Kid
Have fun with it this summer, and make sure to take a decent trip with an attractive young girl in the passenger seat!
Just one decent trip?

Joking aside, thanks for the concern & the thoughts - they're truly appreciated.

As far as the car is concerned, I've hit a snag; the PPI checklist came in and the tires are at half-life. When we negotiated, I was told that they were "brand new tires." Bull.

After talking to him today, he tried to tell me "they were brand new when we got the trade-in... 1200 miles ago," which I find incredible. Were they on the Nurdburgring or something? What a load of bull.

The car is in great shape other than that, so after our discussion I did some more digging with DJ's help and crafted this email:

Shawn,

I did some more looking around. Please refer to Tirerack.com to verify my pricing. Installation costs are from "Flynn's Tire" in Irwin, Pennsylvania.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (What you said was on the car)
Front: $224 per tire
Rear: $294.00 per tire

Tires Only: $1036
Shipping: $43.73
Installation Costs: $128

Grand Total: $1207.73

Considering the tires are at near half-life (which is, in the words of the individuals I've spoken to, near impossible unless it were heavily tracked in less than 1200 miles), the fact that we negotiated upon a faulty premise, and the inconvenience of everything, please take these numbers in consideration when talking with your general manager tomorrow.

I'd hate to see the deal fall through over a set of tires, but all things considered, this isn't something I can just gloss over.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Tom
We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm furious that they tried to pull this over on me. Combined with the fact that this dealership (which is one of the largest in the region & has nothing but positive remarks - including from Mike at BMW of Chattanooga when we talked about them while making hte appointment) wants me to wire-transfer the money, I'm ready to eat the money I paid for a PPI and tell them to buzz off.

It's mind-blowing.

Last edited by Bluestrike2; 06-14-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Yay another //M douche on the board.

Kidding of course, bummer about the tire BS though. Hope everything works out in the end. Your surname is still in the quoted email btw, not sure if that's intentional.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:37 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome. Congrats. Drive carefully. Very wise to take some DE's, your young arn't you?

Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Awesome. Congrats. Drive carefully. Very wise to take some DE's, your young arn't you?
I'm eighteen going on nineteen, yes, so that's something that adds an extra layer of caution to the mix. I've got many, many years ahead of me and I don't want it any other way.

Definitely looking forward to the DE.

Thanks again for the comments; I'll keep everyone posted on what happens today with the darn tires (he's supposed to call me). By the way, thanks for noticing my mistake on the surname .

Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Tough situation you're in right now, but you need to decide how heavily principles are going to influence your actions. Consider the time and money you have invested in what you know is a clean and mechanically solid M3. You're not going to give a shit about the current situation when you're ripping through a curvy road late one summer night, coming out of an apex at 6,000 RPM with the wind rushing through the cabin, and a gorgeous brunette sitting shotgun smiling. Know what I mean?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Green has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond repute
So what happened?

Quick Reply: Less than two weeks!