Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

E30 M3 with S54

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
hyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud of
Thanks guys. This was a lot of work and many late nights and long weekends, mostly by my dad trying to do this in his spare time while running a full time shop. I race it, break it, and he gets to fix it all the time

Originally Posted by X2daC
Your old Supra was ridiculously clean and so is this.
Thank you. I kept reminding myself that this is a race car and not a show car, but I just can't help it. It doesn't need to look like crap just because its out on track. I do still miss the supra...

Originally Posted by akiruno
Outstanding swap…first s54 powered E30 M3 i've seen. Curious, besides the challenge of mating the electronics, what were some of the other major hurdles you had to overcome.
Bimmerworld has a way to make this ECU work in a non-e46 car, so that took care of that issue for us. The rest was mostly around clearance and matching the right parts to it. We solved most of this when we had our euro s50b32 in there since the s54 has the same dimmensions, but it was all around the following:
  • Subframe clearance. headers and subframe tried to occupy the same space so the subframe took some massaging
  • Firewall clearance, again headers were the issue. Had to bang the firewall in somewhat
  • Getting the appropriate motor mounts, although AKG Motorsports makes it easy
  • Oil Pan is a huge challenge since the dual pickup will not clear the subframe in an e30, so most go with the BMW 5 series pan and pump. We went full dry sump instead
  • Brake Booster is in the way. There are other small ones people use but we eliminated it and went with a full Tilton assembly with individual MC's.
There are tons of other small things, but those are the major ones.

Originally Posted by calypso
What engine doesnt fit in an e30?
Many do the US s50/s52 motor swap and that seems to be pretty easy. We did the euro s50b32 which was not too bad either. I've also seen a V10 from an M5 squeezed in there, but that is MAJOR work obviously.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
HBspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
So what's the outlook on when you are going to throw an S65 in there?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
hyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud of

We spent the day at Sebring this past weekend with it and the motor ran flawlessly. We didn't push too hard and just wanted to see how it all would hold up. Car pulled hard and grip was actually pretty good getting on power out of corners. We're back out there at the end of April so we'll start pushing a little harder.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by hyboost

We spent the day at Sebring this past weekend with it and the motor ran flawlessly. We didn't push too hard and just wanted to see how it all would hold up.
Glad to hear the car/motor is performing well. Another question, what gear box and differential are you running?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
i remember you from supraforums, what happened to that car?

one of the cleanest black mkiv's i have seen

Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
akiruno - Its a US e36 5sp tranny. We were running a 3.73 diff with the same tranny when we had the euro s50b32 in there. When we dropped the s54 in, i was afraid that we would run out of gear at Sebring so I dropped a 3.46 diff in the car. I hated it and will be going back to a 3.73. We should be ok with top end with the 8200RPM redline, but we'll see.

IIVVX - Thank you. I miss that car. I sold it 3 years ago. I honestly never drove it, put 1500 miles on it in the last couple years I owned the car, so I put it out there and it sold immediately. I had a baby coming and wanted something fun I could actually use daily so I picked up the M5.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
RFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant future
Gorgeous car, nice work!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Love this swap! Very nice.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome swap! Great work

Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Thanks guys. Car is a real blast out there.

Last edited by hyboost; 04-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.