Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Couple of questions on E46 M3s

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Over the last three years I'd say the S2000 was the car i had the most fun with, the 335 the best DD and the 997 the nicest car i've owned.

Make sure you don't end up buying a car from the West Coast only having to drive it back again if you get a job out here after you get it home.

Also if you want some friendly advice - don't get a nice car until you have a job sorted out and have been in the job for at least three months. Make your money work for you and don't work for your money.
Word. Don't get ahead of yourself, you'll get yours.

I agree with Josh, an S2000 is a great option, and will be substantially less costly to maintain and fix.

Oh, and Imola Red is one of the greatest BMW colors I've ever seen. Imola/Black E46 M3 . . . pretty sweet setup.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Oh, and Imola Red is one of the greatest BMW colors I've ever seen. Imola/Black E46 M3 . . . pretty sweet setup.
For a long time the E46 M3 in Imola Red / Black was my dream car & color combo.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I definitely won't be putting any offers in for an M3 until AFTER I have a job locked down. As for the money, my parents want me to have a more reliable car and something that isn't as beat up as my truck currently is so as a graduation present, they're giving me a little help towards getting a car I really want. I don't have any debt or student loans to worry about paying off but I doubt I'll be able to get a loan for a car without having a job locked down anyway.

Imola is a great color for sure, but I had a few speeding tickets in the past so I'd like to avoid as much unwanted attention as possible. Actually, I saw a really nice 04 M3 for sale not too long ago that was Oxford Green over Saddle. It looked INCREDIBLE! That'd be another cool choice if I could find one again.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Craigger
Nav is overrated now with the universal availability of GPS/internet on Cell phones.

good choice on the Silver with red or black and saddle interiors though.

I envy you on driving cross country for the pickup.
I would come with you if I didn't sign a contract for a job up north starting late may
Cheers.
I graduate on May 9th and hope to pick up a car within a week or two of that. If you're willing to meet me somewhere in the US, you're welcome to squeeze in the back seat (I've got one of my other buddies coming along as well).

Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Bro, good luck on finding one, theere are some really nice ones out there. Check autotrader and ebay and also m3forum.net

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura about
e46 M3 is a positive STEAL in the used car market now. For all of the engineering, and timeless styling for less than a cut rate Honda Accord! lol

I had a 745li, and I put about 20k miles on it, never had a issue. (did this in less than 18months).

I would not stall on a deal because of NAVI either. As someone else said, either a handheld, or spend a little coin and get on of the nice Pioneer units with NAV. The 6year old oem nav will be archaic by now!!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
I would focus on the condition & miles and skip the nav. You can add it in (OEM) or go cheap and spend $150 on a portable unit. I have nav in all my cars except one and I only use it maybe once a week if that. It's kind of neat but unless you're delivering pizzas, you probably won't use it that often.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Craigger
Nav is overrated now with the universal availability of GPS/internet on Cell phones.

good choice on the Silver with red or black and saddle interiors though.

I envy you on driving cross country for the pickup.
I would come with you if I didn't sign a contract for a job up north starting late may
Cheers.
Yes, but there is something to be said about not having to muck around with your cell and having an easy display in you car. Having said that if the car is pre-2003, than Nav is probably not that important because it will seem so outdated.

Last edited by "The JC"; 02-25-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Alex,

I haven't read your entire thread but thought my experience with my own purchase might put you at ease. I went out and looked for a low miles car and found an 05 with low miles and Dinan-S2 package and HRE wheels. I had the car PPI'd and flew up to New Jersey and drove it back home to Houston. Barrett Jackson and all of the auctions were going on on the other side of the country so transport would have been a three week wait. I couldn't handle that so I made the road trip. It was awesome. I saw some great scenery and drove on some very very quiet roads. My drive was approximately 1500 miles and I stopped once. It was pretty memorable for me as it was the first car I was able to purchase that I had really really wanted.

The maintenance aspect isn't too bad really. Brakes jobs are relatively easy. Oil changes aren't difficult at all. As for mileage the engine is one of the best ever made. If you are buying an earlier year make sure that the bearing recall was done and other than that with regular oil changes and necessesary maintenance you should have no problems. Find the right car drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. I miss my M dearly and when prices drop further i see myself adding one to the stable again.

Ben

Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Actually, I saw a really nice 04 M3 for sale not too long ago that was Oxford Green over Saddle. It looked INCREDIBLE! That'd be another cool choice if I could find one again.

I saw that car and loved it. In fact I almost went as far as trying to buy it. Classy combo.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions on E46 M3s