Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

BMW switching to turbocharged M cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post BMW switching to turbocharged M cars

Autoblog
After two decades of normally-aspirated high-revving engines shoehorned under the hoods of its M cars, BMW is changing direction and will begin to offer direct-injection turbocharged powerplants in its future high-performance flagships. The German automaker is blaming tough environmental emission standards and the soaring manufacturing costs of the specialty-built V8 and V10 engines found in today's M3, M5, and M6 models for its decision. We also suspect the fact that both Audi and Mercedes-Benz have successfully offered torque-laden forced-induction powerplants for years on their performance models may have something to do with it (also keep in mind that an aftermarket-tuned version of BMW's own twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6 can easily match the power output of the M3's normally-aspirated 4.0-liter V8). The first new M model to carry the turbocharged honor will be the X6 xDrive M, with a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 reportedly making 500 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. That same engine is reportedly going into the next F10-chassis M5 due in late 2010.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm, don't know how I feel about that. Although, I can just imagine the tuning possibilities now. I guess it was inevitable but I will miss the high revving NA motors.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Worst idea ever!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:55 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iLLGT2
Worst idea ever!
wtf? are you kidding me? best idea ever

btw, repost

Old 11-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately this is true...

I also received these terrible news from a VERY reliable BMW M source although, if it is any consolation the turbo system will be unlike anything we have ever seen, it will be an INTERNAL, yes you heard it, an internal turbo system which will be inside the block or near the other areas of the engine internals which I am not quite sure of.

It won't be an external unit mounted near the exhaust manifolds as in any other turbo car and it will be as high revving as ever.

Sounds impossible and unimaginable but BMW will do it. So maybe they will bring their own perspective into FI thing but in the end it will be a FI M car

Actually in one point I can understand the logic behind their decision. BMW M division has the most restricted design elements in their market. Audi and Merc can start up from scratch for each of their power models but BMW always have to be loyal to its roots,principles such as ; NA,RWD,manual option,high revving exclusive engine per model ! where else their competition can produce one series NA, the newer one FI (RS4 ) or use basically the same engine an all its power range. (AMG)

When you add up all these restrictions they ran out of room for new ideas without breaking these old rules and that is why they came up with this Turbo idea in the end.

As depressing as it may sound I trust in BMW M and I'm sure they'll come up with an extraordinary technology which will have all the benefits of an FI engine but none of its downsides as started to be seen on 335,135 already. In BMW M I trust !

Last edited by Clubber; 11-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Hasn't audi already done the internal turbocharger design and didn't it prove TERRIBLE when it came to maintenance?

Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
wtf? are you kidding me? best idea ever

btw, repost
WORST, no need for it, NA is far more much rewarding and fun, slower cars for that matter as well.. All preference, give me the E46 6 any day over a tt v8!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iLLGT2
WORST, no need for it, NA is far more much rewarding and fun, slower cars for that matter as well.. All preference, give me the E46 6 any day over a tt v8!
uhh, ok. if you think slow = fun and more rewarding then we must agree to disagree because i equate fast cars (with sorted chassis) to be fun and rewarding drives. also, there is certainly a need for it...otherwise bmw will be left in the dust as its competitors forge on with faster turbocharged models.

it's funny to me so many are against turbocharging because they believe it is "less rewarding" to drive but are ok with smg type (two pedals) transmissions. those are the problem, those gearboxes take all the fun (not to mention skill) out of it...adding more powerful engines is never the problem.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by IIVVX
uhh, ok. if you think slow = fun and more rewarding then we must agree to disagree because i equate fast cars (with sorted chassis) to be fun and rewarding drives. also, there is certainly a need for it...otherwise bmw will be left in the dust as its competitors forge on with faster turbocharged models.

it's funny to me so many are against turbocharging because they believe it is "less rewarding" to drive but are ok with smg type (two pedals) transmissions. those are the problem, those gearboxes take all the fun (not to mention skill) out of it...adding more powerful engines is never the problem.
I hope to god you aren't preaching to me, as maybe you haven't looked at my sig? I track my GT2 for gods sake. If it weren't for zero clearance turbos/lwfw and an na like feel and exhaust note, the car wouldn't excite me remotely enough to want to track it..

As it is, it's fantastic, but way too fast, sometimes I feel as if a 996 GT3 will be 10x more rewarding, and I am damn fast in this gt around most of the circuits I have been on. BUT, there is nothing like wringing out an NA car especially on a track, passing everyone on the damn track and in your run group unless your red status with other monster cars and drivers gets boring quite fast. And for the people who "long" for that, they are noobs.

Last edited by iLLGT2; 11-27-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Martin I'll take a NA car any day over a Turbo as well on the track

Quick Reply: BMW switching to turbocharged M cars