Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

Fixed Gear Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JLMIAMI is an unknown quantity at this point
Fixed Gear Anyone?

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a fixed gear bike, anybody here have any bikes of their own they wish to share? Thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JLMIAMI
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a fixed gear bike, anybody here have any bikes of their own they wish to share? Thanks!
Best price in town on any bicycles can be found at city bikes in Aventura.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
DBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond repute
Great idea if you don't have to deal with traffic. While I get the idea behind riding the true fixed gear/no brakes style, I personally think it's suicidal and unnecessary difficult. Even pro riders I've talked to don't get the reasoning behind riding a fixed gear on the street.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
What is a fixed gear bike?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!fone phreak You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
@jl
Have you participated in any of the critical mass rides here in Miami?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
DBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
What is a fixed gear bike?
Bicycle with a 1:1 pedal/wheel ratio. Thus "fixed". Basically there is no coasting, your pedals move at a fixed ratio with the wheel speed. Traditionally, since it is a track setup, there are no brakes on fixed gear bikes. You can see the ridiculousness of such a setup on the street, a la hipsters choosing this unique method of natural selection.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DBV
hipsters choosing this unique method of natural selection.
+1 thats the only people that ride them. Its like pedeling a tricycle but being clipped in and instead of going 3mph your going 20.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JLMIAMI is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys thanks for the responses,

@Fone Phreak I haven't due to my lack of equipment lol I have a couple of road bikes at the moment but am looking to enter the fixie crowd.

@maxemus Yea they are great I've bought a couple from them in the past!

@DBV I wouldn't have to deal with the traffic for the most part, just looking to change it up a bit and i would probably ride with a front brake

Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Lets get a ride planned one day. I have my third knee surgery in mid April so I'm in starting mid may

Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MaximumMD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by maxemus
Lets get a ride planned one day. I have my third knee surgery in mid April so I'm in starting mid may
Sorry to jump in but man three knee surgeries!!!! What did you do to your poor knees?!

Quick Reply: Fixed Gear Anyone?