Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I switch it up between Crossfit type circuit workouts that take me 45 minutes (not 4), heavy free weights, some plyometrics, and sprints. I used to train BJJ 6 days a week with some Gymnastica worked in there, but can't do it over here (the BJJ). I train toward strength and endurance using the heaviest weight I can manage with a rep count of 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 over 5 sets, while completing 6-8 different exercises, often super-setting to cut down on wasted time in the gym.

I also work the shite out of my core. Here are examples of what I do: weighted pull downs, knee ups with my arms in stirrups, vee-ups, the little roller wheel from the knees out and from standing out to a plank, front planks, side planks, back planks, and stiff-leg dead lifts or romanian dead liffts for my lower back.

I am 30.

Last edited by SoCal; 01-27-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added core stuff
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
I am 27....

as of a few weeks ago this was my routine, feel free to let me know R...

chest/back
pull ups
bench press
DB incline bench press
cable fly
over head pulls
military press
then a few shoulder reps

bi/tri
cable curls
hammer curls
rope curls
rope tri ext
skull crushers
close grip bench

legs
leg press
leg ext
whatever the one is where I sit down and push the weight up like a squat?

then after that I do 45 mins on the eliptical, generally tried to lift three times a week and then do cardio for 60 mins a day on the non lifting days.

its my diet that wasnt working to well. preggo wife.... But the doc said i need to lose 30 lbs asap and lower my blood pressure and cholestrol.

I am 6 ft 245, dont loook like I weight that much. at least thats what everbody says.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute
<3 this thread. I've been wanting to ask some questions on this topic myself, perfect thread idea.

So i've been going to the gym regularly for about 5months now and im finally seeing the improvement im looking for, but feel like I may be going about it all wrong. I usually go 3 times a week (Monday-Wednesday-Friday) and my workout starts with running on the treadmill for a mile and then i move onto resistance training. The problem is I usually just wing it, and work on the muscle group that I feel like at that time. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can spread out working on all my muscle groups over the 3 days? (ie which are best to train on the same day etc)

Any advice, suggestions, comments, criticisms are welcome

Oh yeah and im 21 years young

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ktvegas
The circuit workout up there is similar to what I'm doing. It's a 40 min. Jillian Michael's DVD and it kicks my ass. I'm pretty sore today but am going to try running again. First time in 3 months.
Wait ... You mean to tell me the Jullian Michael's DVD is a workout DVD?

Guess I'm getting a little Cardio out of it.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned
Justin, this is intended for you, and is a good general guideline for the rest of us. I follow it as closely as I can.

The one where you sit down and push up is a Hack squat. The only thing I do differently is pair back with biceps, and chest with triceps. They are mutually supporting muscle groups, so why not work them together since they are already being worked... If you are looking to cut 30 pounds, start with the following bro:

-stop drinking ALL soft drinks, and that includes energy drinks
-prepare your food ahead of time, if possible (you can do this at night when the baby passes out)
-cut out any bread or rolls that your food comes on
-no tortillas, wraps, or anything with white flour in it; stick to WHOLE grains
-drink a gallon of water a day (this actually promotes weight loss)
-avoid instant oatmeal; steel cut oats are great and can be made a week at a time
-eat dinner by 6 p.m. and try to keep your carb intake very low or nil during this meal
-do 30-45 minutes or 70-75% of your target HR (around 135-145 for you) 3-4 times weekly [220-age= ____ x .65= _____ = Beats per minute for your target HR zone]
-DO NOT starve yourself; eat BEFORE you get hungry, and only to the point that you are satisfied
-Make sure to take at least ONE day off per week (I do 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off)
-Ingest 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight daily (it doesn't hurt to go over this amount, but you don't need 400 g of protein a day)

*All of this advice is strictly a guideline, and should be completed only after consulting with a physician.

Last edited by SoCal; 01-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
Justin, this is intended for you, and is a good general guideline for the rest of us. I follow it as closely as I can.

The one where you sit down and push up is a Hack squat. The only thing I do differently is pair back with biceps, and chest with triceps. They are mutually supporting muscle groups, so why not work them together since they are already being worked... If you are looking to cut 30 pounds, start with the following bro:

-stop drinking ALL soft drinks, and that includes energy drinks
-prepare your food ahead of time, if possible (you can do this at night when the baby passes out)
-cut out any bread or rolls that your food comes on
-no tortillas, wraps, or anything with white flour in it; stick to WHOLE grains
-drink a gallon of water a day (this actually promotes weight loss)
-avoid instant oatmeal; steel cut oats are great and can be made a week at a time
-eat dinner by 6 p.m. and try to keep your carb intake very low or nil during this meal
-do 30-45 minutes or 70-75% of your target HR (around 135-145 for you) 3-4 times weekly [220-age= ____ x .65= _____ = Beats per minute for your target HR zone]
-DO NOT starve yourself; eat BEFORE you get hungry, and only to the point that you are satisfied
-Make sure to take at least ONE day off per week (I do 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off)
-Ingest 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight daily (it doesn't hurt to go over this amount, but you don't need 400 g of protein a day)

*All of this advice is strictly a guideline, and should be completed only after consulting with a physician.

is taking whey protein good for the protein? I know eating chicken and meat... but, for the morning would a whey protein shake be good?

Have you seen the flat belly diet for men, it says everything like this. I have not read it but got it so that I could get the menu off it, I always get so bored with steamed veggies and chicken.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
There are thousands of ways to structure weight training. People often get lost and miss the forest for the trees.

If you want some hard earned advice, pick something simple and stick to it. Steadfastly ignore any advice, online article, etc... that might lead you to deviate from your program. The program should be at least 3 months to see if its effective.

Personally I'd point you towards Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Yes it is strength based. But more importantly it is SIMPLE and PROGRESS based. And believe me, strength=looking good.

PS-Try not to browse the rest of the t-nation site much, its full of meatheads.

T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

Originally Posted by Stephan
<3 this thread. I've been wanting to ask some questions on this topic myself, perfect thread idea.

So i've been going to the gym regularly for about 5months now and im finally seeing the improvement im looking for, but feel like I may be going about it all wrong. I usually go 3 times a week (Monday-Wednesday-Friday) and my workout starts with running on the treadmill for a mile and then i move onto resistance training. The problem is I usually just wing it, and work on the muscle group that I feel like at that time. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can spread out working on all my muscle groups over the 3 days? (ie which are best to train on the same day etc)

Any advice, suggestions, comments, criticisms are welcome

Oh yeah and im 21 years young

Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
There are a lot of great protein options out there. I take either IsoPure no-carb (which is not very tasty) or Lean-Pro Matrix (best tasting protein ever). Whey protein is good protein, but if it were me, I would go with one of the 2 I listed above. I don't know about the "Flat Belly" diet, but the info from earlier is just general info that pretty much every fitness trainer gives out. I eat a lot of mixed and leafy green salads when I can, tons of veggies and greens, canned tuna and chicken, grilled chicken breasts, red meat here and there, steel cut oats, eggs, olive oil, fruit, nuts and berries, beans, etc.

Stay away from mayonnaise, creamy dressings, butter, and processed foods. I am very guilty of throwing all this advice out the window when I am home, but it is only for a few weeks.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I love my DUCKS!
doc told me lots more fish then anything, she wants me on a strict med diet... fish, veggies, olive oil, more fruits.....lean pork and chicken.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
SoCal - you wrote something that I have always wondered about. HR and what it should be.

I do a lot of HIIT training and lifting right now. Finally in good shape after a long hiatus.

Sometimes I'm just doing sprints or working out and I realize, holy fvck my HR is high. It mainly only happens when I stop paying attention to my surroundings; ie: I get really into a song on my mp3 player.... So I check it... nearly always 190-196. I always wonder, is that dangerously high?

Usually I feel most comfortable when I keep my HR at 175-180.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread