Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 911 GT3 PDK Hits The Ring!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
New OG
samuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turboholic
Porsche is not skilled enough to build a proper race engine? No motivation? Dafug did I just read?
Its all about the money.
This. (I had to read that twice as well)

Originally Posted by GeoffJr@Isringhausen
You're spot on Anthony, the 9A1 in the 2009+ 987.2 has been motorsport tested and has proved to be bulletproof. In both the Intercontinental Trophy Cup Racing Series and the Interseries there have been no blown motors except from over-revs on misdownshifts and I've only heard of that happening on one car where the guy was redlined in 3rd, down shifted to 2nd and floored it lol.
Nothing less is to be expected from Porsche, their history of applying race proven engineering in their cars is what makes them the company they are. I don't doubt a single second that the new GT3 will be bulletproof. Good to hear.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Fully correct Carrera

New 991 GT3 will be with DFI and will be 9A1 engine..

Your and our concerns are that the 9A1 has no motorsport background,in fact its not a real dry sump engine..and no race car in the world is winning races without dry sump (PS: 9A1 engine does not allow slicks)

That is the issue..the 9A1 engine needs to be revised completely for that..

Lets see..
Exactly right, the marketing mumbo-jumbo that all the Porsche salesmen spout is simply that - if the engine doesn't have dry-sump oiling it doesn't have what it takes to win top-tier endurance races.

Originally Posted by GeoffJr@Isringhausen
You're spot on Anthony, the 9A1 in the 2009+ 987.2 has been motorsport tested and has proved to be bulletproof. In both the Intercontinental Trophy Cup Racing Series and the Interseries there have been no blown motors except from over-revs on misdownshifts and I've only heard of that happening on one car where the guy was redlined in 3rd, down shifted to 2nd and floored it lol.
I think it's a little rich to equate those series with the rigors of endurance races at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, etc.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spyderman is on a distinguished roadSpyderman is on a distinguished road
I have been told that the 9A1 engine in the GT3 will have a dry sump system.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Member
RickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't even the new Boxster S engine feature a dry-sump system, or something along those lines? I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure that it allows Semi-slicks (e.g. Pilot Sport Cup), just like the previous GT3. That said, I see absolutely no reason for the 991 GT3 engine to not feature a dry-sump system.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RickyZone
Doesn't even the new Boxster S engine feature a dry-sump system, or something along those lines? I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure that it allows Semi-slicks (e.g. Pilot Sport Cup), just like the previous GT3. That said, I see absolutely no reason for the 991 GT3 engine to not feature a dry-sump system.
What does s dry sump have to do with tires?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
stickier tires > more lateral G`s possible,thus dry sump was required

Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Oil starvation.

Running slicks when racing - or even during a DE - allows generation of higher g levels while cornering. Sustained periods of high g cornering may lead to oil starvation with a conventional wet sump oiling system. That's why race cars and aggressive street cars - 997 GT3 (in fact, any Mezger engine, so the your 993, for example, also counts), Corvette ZO6, etc. - have dry sump oiling.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
Oil starvation.

Running slicks when racing - or even during a DE - allows generation of higher g levels while cornering. Sustained periods of high g cornering may lead to oil starvation with a conventional wet sump oiling system. That's why race cars and aggressive street cars - 997 GT3 (in fact, any Mezger engine, so the your 993, for example, also counts), Corvette ZO6, etc. - have dry sump oiling.
I know what a dry sump does.

My question was why would someone assume because it had pilots on it that it was dry sump.

It makes no sense.

My RS America has slicks. Should I assume it's dry sump?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I know what a dry sump does.

My question was why would someone assume because it had pilots on it that it was dry sump.

It makes no sense.

My RS America has slicks. Should I assume it's dry sump?
I wouldn't assume that any car running slicks has dry sump oiling - of course that's not reasonable.

Perhaps any car that does run slicks should have dry sump oiling.

Unless I'm severely mistaken and walking into a "gotcha!" moment, your RS America does have dry sump..

Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Rolex Fanboy
Originally Posted by Guest
I wouldn't assume that any car running slicks has dry sump oiling - of course that's not reasonable.

Perhaps any car that does run slicks should have dry sump oiling.

Unless I'm severely mistaken and walking into a "gotcha!" moment, your RS America does have dry sump..

I was kidding

The two assuming dry sump from tires makes me crack up.

Quick Reply: 2013 911 GT3 PDK Hits The Ring!