Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 911 GT3 PDK Hits The Ring!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Milanno
I`ve heard that Porsche could put DFI engine in new GT3. Since I am more into design, can anyone explain me more about DFI engine vs. engine that was placed on earlier GT3`s.
Previous GT3s had the "Mezger" engine block which originated in the Porsche 962 I believe. It has such a cult following because of how bullet proof it is, and how much heritage it has (won the 24 hours of Le Mans multiple times). The reason Porsche decided to stop making the Mezger engine is that it is argued to be outdated, too complex, and too pricey. The new 9A1 engine has MUCH less parts than the Mezger, and is more efficient. The big controversy, however, is whether or not it will be reliable and fast enough for motorsports.

When Porsche announced the retirement of the Mezger, they stated it made no sense to build two completely different engines alongside each other, so my best guess is that the engine in the GT3 will either be one similar to the 9A1, or actually the 9A1, but really vamped up.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
however, is whether or not it will be reliable and fast enough for motorsports.
that`s all yadaya,..like people buying XXL condoms for their standard weiners

90% of em will drive far from the cars and engines limits of performance!!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Milanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond repute
@Carrera - Thanx for detailed answer to my question!
Is there any current model that have 91A engine

Last edited by Milanno; 05-31-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
the 911

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
the 911
What he said. Every 991 so far, and every 997.2 excluding the GT3 models and GT2 RS. 997.1 GT3s, Turbo, and GT2 had the Mezger, and the basic 997.1 models had a non-dfi engine called the M97. Engine lineups for the 996 were essentially the same as the 997 models, except the M97 was called the M96. Hope this makes sense.

Oh and the 987.2 Cayman S and Boxster S have the 9A1. 987.2 base Boxster and Cayman have the old M97 I believe.

Last edited by Carrera; 05-31-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Fully correct Carrera

New 991 GT3 will be with DFI and will be 9A1 engine..

Your and our concerns are that the 9A1 has no motorsport background,in fact its not a real dry sump engine..and no race car in the world is winning races without dry sump (PS: 9A1 engine does not allow slicks)

That is the issue..the 9A1 engine needs to be revised completely for that..

Lets see..

Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished road
I know I will miss seeing the legendary Mezger block in a 911, but at the same time I will be more concerned if Porsche does't have the skill, motivation or wherewithal to come up with a better engine, one that can win even more races for Porsche. And somehow I doubt the boys at Weissach are going to fail.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche is not skilled enough to build a proper race engine? No motivation? Dafug did I just read?
Its all about the money.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Milanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond reputeMilanno has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sunny
but at the same time I will be more concerned if Porsche does't have the skill, motivation or wherewithal to come up with a better engine, one that can win even more races for Porsche.
I think that Porsche engineers have skills & great motivation. Proof for that is: New 991 & new Boxster!

--------------------------------------------

@Carrera @jumping_horse Thanx guys for great explanation!

I`ve tried to find out more about 9A1 engine & I found this: The 9A1 engine is being raced on Rolex Grand AM - and it's winning!

If this is true what car was used on on Rolex Grand AM? I assumed that was heavily tuned 9A1 engine...

Last edited by Milanno; 06-01-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Sunny
And somehow I doubt the boys at Weissach are going to fail.
and that`s the thing people finally have to get,..

did they ever let us reeeeeeeally down,disappoint completely?

No!Otherwise nobody would own their current Porsche now..

they will deliver!
And how they`ll do that is not certain yet,..which makes it even more exciting - a good thing

Quick Reply: 2013 911 GT3 PDK Hits The Ring!