Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
silentrun is an unknown quantity at this point
Chuck, Let me figure it out for you this weekend... I'll let you borrow my "old-school" 3.8 RS all the while.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hg_wng
BTW since i'm only 14 and have no idea about driving, can anyone explain to me what this means? why do you need to rev the engine when you downshift? I do know how to drive in manual mode in games though...
I've never driven a car, but here's why.

When you down shift normally (in performance driving especially), the speed of the engine (RPMs) rises from a lower RPM to a higher RPM very quickly. This causes the car to jolt, and the tires to cherp (the engine speed doesn't match that of the wheels). Sometimes in racing a car can even spin out or go off track because of the imbalance. When you "heel and toe" you lightly blip the throttle when you have the clutch pedal pressed in and are down shifting. This raises the engine speed gradually, and avoids the instant 4k-8k rpm jolt. Thus making the down shift smooth. Seldom do racing drivers ever not heel and toe.

Kind of hard to explain, hope I helped!

BTW, watch this video. See as he blips the throttle upon downshifting?

YouTube - ‪Porsche Carrera GT Heel-toeing‬‏

Last edited by Carrera; 05-24-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
RFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant future
Awesome, congrats!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Carrera
I've never driven a car, but here's why.

When you down shift normally (in performance driving especially), the speed of the engine (RPMs) rises from a lower RPM to a higher RPM very quickly. This causes the car to jolt, and the tires to cherp (the engine speed doesn't match that of the wheels). Sometimes in racing a car can even spin out or go off track because of the imbalance. When you "heel and toe" you lightly blip the throttle when you have the clutch pedal pressed in and are down shifting. This raises the engine speed gradually, and avoids the instant 4k-8k rpm jolt. Thus making the down shift smooth. Seldom do racing drivers ever not heel and toe.

Kind of hard to explain, hope I helped!

BTW, watch this video. See as he blips the throttle upon downshifting?

YouTube - ‪Porsche Carrera GT Heel-toeing‬‏
i understood your explanation, thanks

Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know how I missed this thread. Congrats on the Cup Car!!!