Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Officially Official: The New Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (Video + Press Shots)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Looks Evil in all black:

Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stockholm996TT
Incorrect. The euro version is 10 kg (i.e. ca 20 lbs) lighter than the 3.8 RS (1360 kg vs. 1370 kg).

Most cars will probably be at least 50 kg heavier than that since the stated weight doesn't include the rear section of the roll cage, AC, radio etc. etc.
Originally Posted by misanors4
^^ The us model is only 10lbs lighter then the 3.8. The euro version is 175 kilos lighter then the 3.8, don't know the conversion into lbs.
With that said...the European version is 385 lbs lighter after conversion. Why is it so significant, that's what I'd like to know! Plexiglass in the rears/sides, no airbags in seats (maybe) and what else?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Teamspeed Member
NAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the rough
Damn, I'm lovin' it!! This is gonna be a serious track beast!

I'm still not sure how I feel about decals on any road cars, but this thing is gorgeous nonetheless!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
With that said...the European version is 385 lbs lighter after conversion. Why is it so significant, that's what I'd like to know! Plexiglass in the rears/sides, no airbags in seats (maybe) and what else?
The unfinished CF hood, wing, and fenders (painting them instead of finishing them saves a lot of weight), lightweight carpet (carpet really does weigh a lot in a car), lighter springs, lighter engine etc.

I don't think any of these weights provided by Porsche are accurate (there is even a footnote on the webspecial saying the car was never actually wighed). Besides weight figures for cars by the manufacturer are almost always wrong.

Last edited by Carrera; 04-28-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
The unfinished CF hood, wing, and fenders (painting them instead of finishing them saves a lot of weight), lightweight carpet (carpet really does weigh a lot in a car) etc.

I don't think any of these weights provided by Porsche are accurate (there is even a footnote on the webspecial saying the car was never actually wighed). Besides weight figures for cars by the manufacturer are almost always wrong.
You mean to tell me that the European versions will have CF hoods? I'd think that they'd also consider using technical material instead of carpeting in these cars or better yet, bare metal!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
You mean to tell me that the European versions will have CF hoods? I'd think that they'd also consider using technical material instead of carpeting in these cars or better yet, bare metal!
All of the RS 4.0s will have carbon hoods, but they are painted, because the paint weighs less than all of the finishers to go over the CF to make it pretty.

And yes, bare metal would be cool! It'd be easier to lean, and you can go Fast and Furious style, through the floor boards!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Carrera
All of the RS 4.0s will have carbon hoods, but they are painted, because the paint weighs less than all of the finishers to go over the CF to make it pretty.

And yes, bare metal would be cool! It'd be easier to lean, and you can go Fast and Furious style, through the floor boards!
Thanks for the clarification! I can just see you driving it, Flintstone style now.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
SSR
Teamspeed Member
SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SSR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Ordered mine today !

Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! What color?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SSR
Ordered mine today !
Congrats gonna be many 4.0's on the TEAM!

Quick Reply: Officially Official: The New Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (Video + Press Shots)