Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Review Of The Porsche Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Jas it's good to have you back, I miss your posts.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Whilst I have to agree the CGT is technically THE most impressive road car Porsche have made to date (with the 959 a close second) and a must own for those with the means to have a collection. Most CGTs are doing low mileage which actually negates the best bit about the car.... it is seriously durable with "daily usability" a real proposition in terms of servicing and general robustness.

The problem with the CGT is the clutch and the cost of the body parts. The clutch makes it a horrible daily driver for anyone whose driving involves hills (despite what any "hero" owners say, the clutch is a horrible thing and is Porsche showing the world its technology and ruining the car's drivability) and the cost of parts means that any small prang is such a cost that (the vast majority of) owners do not want to use the car for anything other than special drives.....

Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
Whilst I have to agree the CGT is technically THE most impressive road car Porsche have made to date (with the 959 a close second) and a must own for those with the means to have a collection. Most CGTs are doing low mileage which actually negates the best bit about the car.... it is seriously durable with "daily usability" a real proposition in terms of servicing and general robustness.

The problem with the CGT is the clutch and the cost of the body parts. The clutch makes it a horrible daily driver for anyone whose driving involves hills (despite what any "hero" owners say, the clutch is a horrible thing and is Porsche showing the world its technology and ruining the car's drivability) and the cost of parts means that any small prang is such a cost that (the vast majority of) owners do not want to use the car for anything other than special drives.....
You Brits seem much more willing than most North Americans to use these things as they were intended.

I must admit that I made the mistake of 'saving it for the next guy'. When Steve bought mine, he got a truly perfect car. I regret selling it and not driving the wheels off it.

Hopefully, a mistake not to be repeated.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for reminding me that CGT > God > Scuderia.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt

The clutch is tricky on a hill, no doubt...but not undriveable. I think an important consideration now is that the car is more and more in the hands of enthusiast owners that understand this aspect of the car and why it so. I may be off base here, but alot of the people that were concerned about the clutch sold them early and they went to people who accepted it. Even those folks that subsequently sold it on, are now drifting back to ownership again....knowing full well what the clutch characteristics are all about....I know of at least 8 people that sold the car, and have either bought another one or are in the process of doing so......why ?

Hill starts ? Foot on clutch, foot on brake....release clutch slowly until revs drop ever so slightly as it grabs...release brake and off you go...tricky, but doable.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Thanks for reminding me that CGT > God > Scuderia.

Felix, I hope there is a lightning rod near you....

Hope you are well brother !

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RufMD
tricky, but doable.
Truly, tricky only on the steepest of hills.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM
ss7
Teamspeed Pro
ss7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond repute
Now thats a quality post, love the detail pics.

Also speaking of CGT, Supercar Movies just released the CGT Nurburging lap video, check it out!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Love this car, some of those pics are incredible...

Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RufMD
Felix, I hope there is a lightning rod near you....

Hope you are well brother !
Very good thank you, glad you're back! Got worried there for a sec.

PS. Are you going to Bahrain next year?

Quick Reply: Design Review Of The Porsche Carrera GT