Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive & SUV Forum (https://teamspeed.com/forums/general-automotive-suv-forum/)
-   -   Learning Manual (https://teamspeed.com/forums/general-automotive-suv-forum/78674-learning-manual.html)

Carrera 02-24-2013 11:55 AM

Learning Manual

I've been driving for a few weeks now, but of course everybody has an automatic these days :lol:. Yesterday I finally got the chance to learn manual in a 8th gen Civic Si, albeit I only had about 20 minutes, and it was in a really tight and crowded parking lot. So, as I expected, I must of stalled 5 times before I had a smooth rollout, and then i stalled again below 5mph. After that I had a smooth rollout once or twice with no drama such as stalling or bucking. The method I was using was in 1st gear, push in the clutch pedal, rev up to about 2k, then slowly release the clutch pedal, whilst giving it a bit more gas once I started to feel the engine grab. And for hills I tried the parking brake method, which didn't go over too well. :hilarious:

So I'm just wondering before I have my next time out, do you guys have any tips for me so I can develop good manual habits early on? Is it better to get the revs up the. Let out the clutch, or is it better to let out the clutch and apply the gas once you feel it start to grab? Both in terms of a smooth rollout, and minimal transmission wear and tear. Any tips appreciated! Looking forward to buying a manual car when I can get my liscense.

Turboholic 02-24-2013 12:49 PM

Both at the same time.
You can also get the car moving only using the clutch.
And you can also rev up and then release the clutch pretty fast.
Just keep on doing, you won't get any better reading our tips. Learning by doing.

vpr1019 02-24-2013 02:32 PM

I remember learning a manual, stalled on a railroad lol. Sounds like you've got it, all you need is practice.

ArDs 02-24-2013 05:12 PM

I started the same way except my friend who let me drive his car told me to drive it on a busy street (he had a lot of confidence in me). Eventually you won't rev up that high because that puts more wear on the clutch. But like everyone said, you will only get better the more you practice. Good luck!

PorscheBoy 02-24-2013 07:03 PM

i started basically the same way too haha. i learned on a 98 toyota pick up that had NO tach. so that was fun. basically started out the same way as you. dont get too used to the civic's clutch though. its pretty soft compared to other cars. i preferred a heavier clutch when i was learning. made it easier to match for me. what you're doing by keeping it at 2000k is basically what i did at first.. then after a couple hours my dad took me on a hill and got out and stood behind the car and told me if i didnt get it right it would roll back and run him over. good times haha.

my advice, take your time. dont rush it. really WANT to learn and try to learn a little bit about how the clutch works on a theoretical basis (if you dont already know). that kind of helped me learn what was going on and helped me get started. good luck

Scott Davis 02-24-2013 07:10 PM

I learned in a 1979 MG 4 speed. It gets very easy very fast. Just keep practicing.

SpeedEvo 02-24-2013 07:21 PM

Just practice. I drove a manual for the first time on some Euro-spec 2002 Nissan and the knowledge I picked up from others and reading about stick shift went out the door as soon as I pressed in the gas, let off the clutch and stalled. :D

TheStigSC 02-24-2013 08:06 PM

I'll say what everyone else said....PRACTICE! You are doing fine for a learner. When I taught my brother how to drive stick, we went out for 2 hours in his stick shift TC and then after that, he just drove it every day. Now he is fine. Just remember to try to make the releasing of the clutch and pushing of the gas a simultaneous movement between both feet, nice and smooth. That seems to be where people have the most trouble. Good luck!

Carrera 02-24-2013 08:14 PM

Thanks guys for the tips, hopefully this week I'll get another chance to go out. And yeah, the clutch on the Civic was a lot lighter than I expected which kind of makes it hard when you're foots shaking cause you're nervous of bucking around somebody else's car!

alin2.5 02-24-2013 10:57 PM

Congratulations! Learning to drive a stick and row your own gears should be a prerequisite for manhood. ;)

Like everyone says, just practice. Eventually you'll get the sense of when the clutch "grabs" and how to smoothly apply the throttle without stalling.

The 1st time I tried to drive a clutch, I lurched my buddy's Supra so badly I curbed his wheels...:(

But, the 1st time you perfectly rev match a downshift or execute a perfectly rev matched heel-toe downshift...you have started down the road of motoring nirvana...