Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive & SUV Forum (https://teamspeed.com/forums/general-automotive-suv-forum/)
-   -   Car got stolen, looking for a new car (https://teamspeed.com/forums/general-automotive-suv-forum/47376-car-got-stolen-looking-new-car.html)

mdoog 09-13-2010 10:10 AM

Car got stolen, looking for a new car

Well, less then 24 hours back in San Diego and my car was stolen from the parking garage at my apartment... So much for Summit "Security" acting as a deterrent (anyone that has heard of them would know how much of a joke they are).

Anyways, I know how much I hate all of the this car or that car, but I'm really not sure of a reasonable option in the price range that I need because I was planning on keeping my old car until I upgraded to something a bit nicer, but I'm not in a position where that makes sense quite yet.

I'm thinking that a manual transmission sedan for around $12,000-14,000 might be ideal (I could easily live with a coupe which is what I had before but I would prefer the extra space). Of course, I'm looking for something with reasonable mileage, hopefully <80,000? depending on the car.

So far, cars that I'm curious about are definitely the Lexus IS300 and ~2001 BMW 540i. The 3 series for some reason doesn't do much for me and the same goes for the A4 (in my price range), although I am still looking into those also. I've also thought some about a Subaru Impreza, but the interior is not quite on par with the others. Going with something like an Accord is on the radar if it simply makes more sense, but it just doesn't really have any character.

Are there any other nice options that I'm overlooking in this price range? Also, how well do cars like an early 2000's 540i hold up with higher mileage? I know that eventually there will be things like replacing bushings etc, but I'm wondering more about fundamental problems like the cooling system on the 540i which seems to be somewhat problematic?

Thanks in advance for any help :friends:

jmusser3r 09-13-2010 10:23 AM

You might be able to find a good Honda civic si sedan in that price range. Fun car to drive and very comfortable as well.

barebones 09-13-2010 10:44 AM

is300?

GregV 09-13-2010 11:51 AM

g35 coupe, manual trans?

Yonder 09-13-2010 12:12 PM

I would stay away from the BMW's (or other German makes) just due to the service costs you might encounter. I would stick the the Lexus-Honda-Toyota route only due to the lower cost of service work since you are not looking to purchase with a new car warranty. Brakes, window switches, window motors, shocks/struts, etc cheaper on the Japanese imports.

Taking dad hat off now, what about an older 911, say the mid to late 80's, possible even an early 964... you are in cali, there are a ton of cars there.

Wilson

CrazyRuskie 09-13-2010 12:18 PM

Infiniti G35 6MT coupe or sedan would be my choice

mdoog 09-13-2010 03:50 PM

I have driven a 350z for a few years which I think I would do over a G35 coupe, and I haven't seen many G35 sedans around my price range. I'll look into those again.

I just got back from checking out a few dealers, they didn't have a 540i but did have a 2001 525i which I know is not an updated version, but after driving that it has definitely kept the e39 on my radar. Are there certain common problems that make it something to avoid? I'm aware that maintenance in general could be more but I do all major work myself so thats not as significant of a factor. If I got an e39, once I get some time I would be doing at least some M5 or aftermarket bits to stiffen things up and get some more feedback because it is a bit plush stock.

They did also have an IS 300 and surprisingly, it just didn't do anything for me so I'm taking that off of the list.

I think I've finally calmed down a little over having my car stolen... hopefully I can figure out a suitable car for getting soon since my vehicle situation has changed since I got my last car (now have a brand new Daytona 675 to enjoy, but motorcycles have their limits when it's my only way to get around).

Charlie Two Tap 09-13-2010 03:59 PM

For that kind of money I would get a really nice 300zx TT :big_grin:

mdoog 09-13-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tap (Post 710704)
For that kind of money I would get a really nice 300zx TT :big_grin:

Originally Posted by mdoog
I'm thinking that a manual transmission sedan for around $12,000-14,000 might be ideal (I could easily live with a coupe which is what I had before but I would prefer the extra space)

Last time I checked, those don't quite have 4 doors.

Axxlrod 09-13-2010 04:47 PM

Where was your car stolen from?

neversleeps 09-13-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mdoog (Post 710698)

They did also have an IS 300 and surprisingly, it just didn't do anything for me so I'm taking that off of the list.

I think I've finally calmed down a little over having my car stolen... hopefully I can figure out a suitable car for getting soon since my vehicle situation has changed since I got my last car (now have a brand new Daytona 675 to enjoy, but motorcycles have their limits when it's my only way to get around).

I drive an IS300 with about 230KM on it now and it's been a great car. The largest expense I've had in the last 3 years have been tires and oil changes.

mdoog 09-13-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 710752)
Where was your car stolen from?

Resident overflow parking spaces in the garage at La Jolla Crossroads by the UTC mall.

PatrickHenry 09-13-2010 06:55 PM

look for an 04 530I.

mdoog 09-13-2010 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry (Post 710881)
look for an 04 530I.

Those are already that low??? Hmm... not too many manuals out there (of course), I'll have to keep my eyes open for that too.

I'm also figuring I may as well still take a look at some of the 3 series, so I'll try to find a dealer with some to test drive tomorrow.

ZAMIRZ 09-13-2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by mdoog (Post 710860)
Resident overflow parking spaces in the garage at La Jolla Crossroads by the UTC mall.

What kind of car was it? I used to park there all the time when I spent nights at this girls house I used to be dating. I used to leave the car by the UCSD shuttle stop near the Red Robin.

Crazy story. I parked my car on LeBon down by the Vons next to the Renaissance apartments once and went to my friends house. I got shitfaced and realized I'd forgotten the phone in the car. I came back to my car, got the phone and went back up. Passed out, woke up the next morning to leave and as I approached the car, the passenger window was down! I thought someone had broken into it, but it was just rolled down. I must have never rolled it up when I parked the car and didn't realize it when I came back to get my phone! There was NOTHING missing, not even the change in the cupholder. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, back to your question. I would go lease a new 2010 Honda Accord for 24 months. It's getting close to that time of year when they are getting motivated to dump the '10s.

If you want something a bit more fun, you can get an R53 MINI Cooper S, which is what I used to have when I went to UCSD.

Jeff_NJ 09-13-2010 11:43 PM

I would keep the bike as the only vehicle for a while, save your money and buy a better car next year. I rode my bikes 8-9 months a year as my only transportation when I was in my 20's and I live in Jersey! I rode in T-storms, sleet, 20 degree early morning temps, you name it, and I loved it and I loved the fact that my buddies with big car payments were crying about money and I owned by bikes outright. You live in SD, which is the perfect climate for bikes. Yes, it can be a bit limiting to not have a car on occasion, but that's what friends are for. You are never expected to be the DD, you don't have to haul others around, etc. Try it for a while and then if you find it too limiting, then get a car, but every month that you don't have a car payment is money in the bank toward a nicer car in the future.

Either that or get an M5:dizzy:

mdoog 09-14-2010 12:12 AM

I'm sure it would be easy to guess, it was an Integra that was stolen. It was also broken into last year (nothing damaged but things taken). I have had some friends that have left windows open all day when at school with nothing ever taken and then randomly get broken into while in the same place (side of the road by the glider port in broad daylight).

As for leasing, I am definitely buying a car, not leasing. It will be something that I just keep until it essentially dies. I'm trying not to jump around with cars too much and don't require anything brand new. Also, I do need a car. I often have to buy materials, get parts heat treated, chem filmed, etc etc in which I simply get tired of waiting for other people to get done (if you want it done you just have to do it yourself sometimes). I don't really want to have to find a way to carry stock such as 4 10" OD rounds of 6061 T6 that are 6" thick each...