Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

garage floor help

Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
garage floor help

To all,

I am in the process of redoing my garage. I need something that is going to look good as well as functional.

Previously i had it painted but with time the paint lifted and created more work than necessary. Now, I need to strip the whole garage and clean it.

Once done cleaning, i will need to do either tile and/or marble.
I live in DC area and in the winter it gets cold, so need to know what are options out there. I hate the look of the garage deck etc. To me it looks like LEGO and not crazy about the look. I want something like the showroom of the dealership. nice clean and simple looking.

Please advise what I can do.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond reputeBOOST has a reputation beyond repute
I used Amtico in mine, It allowed me to alter to suit the floor as well as allowing me to incorporate a design...

Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SPEEDANDTECH
To all,

I am in the process of redoing my garage. I need something that is going to look good as well as functional.

Previously i had it painted but with time the paint lifted and created more work than necessary. Now, I need to strip the whole garage and clean it.

Once done cleaning, i will need to do either tile and/or marble.
I live in DC area and in the winter it gets cold, so need to know what are options out there. I hate the look of the garage deck etc. To me it looks like LEGO and not crazy about the look. I want something like the showroom of the dealership. nice clean and simple looking.

Please advise what I can do.
I had the same goal as you. Really wanted the showroom look and ended up following the advice of my builder which pushed tile on me. Not happy at all with how it came out. The tile that was selected gets dirty just by looking at it. If I could do it again I would select polished concrete or another alternative

Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Tile is my main area of expertise and there are A few things to consider,

Polished stone will scratch easily and all stone needs to be sealed to keep it looking nice. Going with that will be a floor that requires maintenance over the years.

Do you do any kind of "work" in there? Jacks, jack stands, etc. those will ruin a stone floor in minutes.

I wouldn't worry about stripping the paint. If you are going to set tile on it, you will more than likely need to abrade the surface and have a grinder do the job. Setting tile over smooth concrete will get at least 50% or more less bond. For instance, if you tried setting tile over a polished concrete floor, it would all pop up, I'm 100% sure.

I would look into a nice strong porcelain tile for a garage. It will be the least amount of maintenance and will stand up to the rigors of a garage better. There are some very nice options in this area. If your interested in some ideas, I work at The Tile Shop (www.tileshop.com) and could send you a few pictures. I would look into a pattern as well. It will give it a more custom look.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more specific questions.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I considered all the options (Racedeck, polished concrete, tiles, etc.) and I went with a polyurea coating. It's VERY durable, hoses clean, resists oil/fluids, etc. I'm in DC too and road salt, slush, etc. hasn't affected it at all. I swept it out a couple of times and used a squeegee broom with water. Here are some pics:

If you have more questions, let me know.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I considered all the options (Racedeck, polished concrete, tiles, etc.) and I went with a polyurea coating. It's VERY durable, hoses clean, resists oil/fluids, etc. I'm in DC too and road salt, slush, etc. hasn't affected it at all. I swept it out a couple of times and used a squeegee broom with water. Here are some pics:

That looks sharp chris. Wish I would have done that type of floor

Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
The nice thing about that flooring is that I can always put racedeck, tiles, etc. over it later. If I lived somewhere nice and sunny (i.e. no salt/slush), I would have gone with polished/tinted concrete. When it's done, it looks SO good, but it's delicate to chemicals and oil. If I ever build my dream house (within reason), I'm doing heated ceramic tiles (probably 24" squares).

Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
That looks awesome Chris, nice job

Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Stupid double post...

Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali

I do. how much one can expect to pay for something like this?
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: garage floor help